Community, News

Architecture students inspire reconstruction of Haiti

In times of turmoil and tragedy, sometimes the best place to look for a little hope and comfort is through one’s faith. When the massive earthquake hit Haiti in 2010, one of the most important buildings that is still severely damaged is the Port-au-Prince Cathedral.

Even after three years, the cathedral is just a shell of its former self. The cathedral is still closed to the public as the only thing left standing is the exterior walls. The roof and fallen bell towers have been completely removed.

Rather than try and salvage the little that is still left from the old cathedral, it has been decided that construction on a completely new one will start soon. To decide on a new design, the University Of Miami’s School of Architecture, in partnership with the Archdiocese of Port-au Prince, and Faith and Form Magazine, held a competition that featured 250 architects from around the world that collaborated to submit 134 plans for the reconstruction.

“The School of Architecture students always benefit from the efforts of faculty to connect our work with communities in our region and abroad,” said UM School of Architecture Dean Elizabeth Plater-Zyberk.

The first place winner was headed by Puerto Rican architect Segundo Cardono, while third and fourth places went to local Miami architects Steven Felt and Christopher Glapinski. Plater-Zyberk led a panel of six judges that included architect and former minister of tourism for Haiti, Michael Crosbie.

“The leader of the winning team, a Puerto Rican firm, was very moved by having won, as he indeed worked very hard to produce a design that would incorporate elements of the historic cathedral as well as project a future image for the community. Jurors were impressed by the entry’s knowledge of liturgical design,” Plater-Zyberk said.

Thirty of the designs entered were on display at the School Of Architecture from Jan. 17 to 25.

“We are intending to help the exhibit travel to other venues, including to Port-au-Prince,” she said. The exhibit was curated by part-time faculty member Joachim Perez, who is in charge of all the school’s exhibits for this school year.

One of the main priorities that the architects had in mind as they put their plans together for the new cathedral was making sure it was hurricane- and earthquake-proof. This just raises the expenses of the project. Twelve earthquake classrooms in one community cost the church $800,000, while the removal of the debris from the cathedral totaled to $300,000.

“The competition produced an excellent design for the cathedral. It is contemporary with historical elements, liturgically correct, environmentally responsive, and it presents a symbolic image for a renewing community,” Plater-Zyberk said.

The Port-au-Prince Cathedral is a landmark to the nation of Haiti, and the first steps have successfully been completed toward rebuilding this important structure.

Kyle Rambo

View photos as Miami Hurricanes Coach Jim Morris ends 41-year career on Saturday, May 19, 2018, at M ...

The sullen, charcoal sky opened with a vengeance Saturday afternoon at Mark Light Field in Coral Gab ...

Hurricanes football aficionados: How does another College GameDay at the University of Miami campus ...

Get out your calendars once again, UM football fans. The Atlantic Coast Conference has announced the ...

Lonnie Walker IV, so eager to begin his professional basketball career that he left the University o ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

The final Sea Secrets lecture at the Rosenstiel School examines the biofluorescence of marine organi ...

Maintenance mechanic Milton Davis has kept UM housing humming for decades. ...

No. 7 seed Miami opens its run at the 2018 ACC Baseball Championship Tuesday, May 22 against No. 11 ...

After 25 years, head coach Jim Morris had just one request for the pregame festivities for his final ...

In honor of Jim Morris' final regular season game as head coach at Miami on Saturday, May 19, t ...

Sophomore righthander Evan McKendry struck out 11 to help lead the Hurricanes to their 10thstraight ...

Check out over 60 of the top pictures from the Miami women's tennis team's matchup with to ...