Community, News

Architecture students inspire reconstruction of Haiti

In times of turmoil and tragedy, sometimes the best place to look for a little hope and comfort is through one’s faith. When the massive earthquake hit Haiti in 2010, one of the most important buildings that is still severely damaged is the Port-au-Prince Cathedral.

Even after three years, the cathedral is just a shell of its former self. The cathedral is still closed to the public as the only thing left standing is the exterior walls. The roof and fallen bell towers have been completely removed.

Rather than try and salvage the little that is still left from the old cathedral, it has been decided that construction on a completely new one will start soon. To decide on a new design, the University Of Miami’s School of Architecture, in partnership with the Archdiocese of Port-au Prince, and Faith and Form Magazine, held a competition that featured 250 architects from around the world that collaborated to submit 134 plans for the reconstruction.

“The School of Architecture students always benefit from the efforts of faculty to connect our work with communities in our region and abroad,” said UM School of Architecture Dean Elizabeth Plater-Zyberk.

The first place winner was headed by Puerto Rican architect Segundo Cardono, while third and fourth places went to local Miami architects Steven Felt and Christopher Glapinski. Plater-Zyberk led a panel of six judges that included architect and former minister of tourism for Haiti, Michael Crosbie.

“The leader of the winning team, a Puerto Rican firm, was very moved by having won, as he indeed worked very hard to produce a design that would incorporate elements of the historic cathedral as well as project a future image for the community. Jurors were impressed by the entry’s knowledge of liturgical design,” Plater-Zyberk said.

Thirty of the designs entered were on display at the School Of Architecture from Jan. 17 to 25.

“We are intending to help the exhibit travel to other venues, including to Port-au-Prince,” she said. The exhibit was curated by part-time faculty member Joachim Perez, who is in charge of all the school’s exhibits for this school year.

One of the main priorities that the architects had in mind as they put their plans together for the new cathedral was making sure it was hurricane- and earthquake-proof. This just raises the expenses of the project. Twelve earthquake classrooms in one community cost the church $800,000, while the removal of the debris from the cathedral totaled to $300,000.

“The competition produced an excellent design for the cathedral. It is contemporary with historical elements, liturgically correct, environmentally responsive, and it presents a symbolic image for a renewing community,” Plater-Zyberk said.

The Port-au-Prince Cathedral is a landmark to the nation of Haiti, and the first steps have successfully been completed toward rebuilding this important structure.

Kyle Rambo

It was midweek when Miami leading receiver Braxton Berrios wistfully spoke of his four years as a Hu ...

Eli Rosier will be back where he belongs Saturday, where he feels most at home. He will be at a foot ...

The 11th-ranked University of Miami men’s basketball team remained undefeated with a 90-59 victory o ...

They remain undefeated — but still untested. The 11th-ranked University of Miami men’s basketball te ...

It has inspired T-shirts and a Migos-style hype song. Soon, fans will have a beer brewed in honor of ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

A cohort of five religious leaders from Miami, including a rabbi and imam from the University of Mia ...

Hollywood actress and star of the hit BET series Being Mary Jane gets real about gender, race and co ...

The annual development agreement meeting is a time for the city and University to share information ...

Here are three matchups to watch in Saturday's Senior Day game between the No. 3 Canes and Virg ...

The University of Miami volleyball team produced some late-match magic Friday night to outlast an in ...

Miami's seniors will play their final home game at Hard Rock Stadium when the Canes face Virgin ...

Six Hurricanes were in double figures as the Hurricanes improved to 3-0 on the season. ...

The University of Miami rowing team introduced the newest members of the Hurricanes rowing program o ...