The Undergraduate Honor Council at the University of Miami is celebrating Academic Integrity Week beginning Feb. 18. The Miami Hurricane will publish a report on Feb. 14 highlighting cheating trends on campus. Take the survey below to help us with our report, and remember all responses are anonymous.
Have more to say? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to be featured in our story.
Why do you cheat?
- Everyone else does it (37%, 11 Votes)
- I’m not going to get caught (37%, 11 Votes)
- Because I can. What’s an honor code? (27%, 8 Votes)
- The Honor Council won’t give me heavy sanctions if I get caught (0%, 0 Votes)
- My professor won’t care (0%, 0 Votes)
Total Voters: 30
If you have cheated, which of the following have you done?
- Looked over at someone else’s exam (28%, 11 Votes)
- Copied an assignment (23%, 9 Votes)
- Collaborated on a take-home assignment meant to be done individually (23%, 9 Votes)
- Used my phone to get answers during an exam (15%, 6 Votes)
- Recycled assignment (self-plagiarism) (8%, 3 Votes)
- Plagiarism on an essay/paper (5%, 2 Votes)
Total Voters: 40
Did you ever feel hesitant before cheating?
- Yes (72%, 28 Votes)
- No (28%, 11 Votes)
Total Voters: 39
Why do you choose not to cheat?
- Moral qualms (53%, 33 Votes)
- Consequences like being kicked out of UM (27%, 17 Votes)
- Receiving a failing grade (8%, 5 Votes)
- Unfair to my peers (6%, 4 Votes)
- I want to uphold the Honor Code (5%, 3 Votes)
Total Voters: 62
How familiar do you feel with the Honor Code?
- I am somewhat familiar (44%, 27 Votes)
- I am very familiar (34%, 21 Votes)
- I am not familiar (21%, 13 Votes)
Total Voters: 61