Lewis tackles past with charity, faith

Ray Lewis’ career – one that has spanned 17 years and amassed countless accolades – has come to an end. And when all is said and done, he will be considered one of the all time greats at his position.

His legacy, however, is something much more complicated that will follow him past his playing days.

For many, his accomplishments solidify his greatness: He’s a 14-time pro bowler, a two-time defensive player of the year, a Super Bowl MVP, the only member of the 40 sacks/30 interceptions club, and he has played his position longer than any other player in history.

On the field, Ray Lewis is greatness defined. But other facts detract from his grandeur: A 2000 indictment for double-murder and aggravated assault charges after a brawl outside an Atlanta nightclub, a 1999 assault case after a woman said Lewis punched her in a Baltimore nightclub, and an undisclosed civil settlement to the family of Richard Loller, one of the two men murdered in the case.

It’s worth noting that after the 2000 trial, he changed his life for the better. He is now an ordained Christian minister and his charity, The Ray Lewis Foundation, is responsible for improvements and advances to the lives of underprivileged and at-risk youths in the Baltimore area. In 2010, a part of Baltimore’s North Avenue was renamed Ray Lewis Way in honor of his charitable work.

It is impossible to separate one’s professional and personal lives. That is why Lewis presents perhaps the biggest conundrum of any sports star ever. No athlete has ever been accused of something so heinous, while later going on to accomplish so much good.

So what is Lewis’ legacy? He has made mistakes, but has lived life ever since with a focus on charity and faith.

Robert Pursell is a senior majoring in journalism.

Robert Pursell

When Al Golden recruited David Njoku to the University of Miami in 2014 the Cedar Grove, N.J. native ...

The night after FIU gave away a game to the University of Miami with a ninth-inning passed ball that ...

Redshirt freshman quarterback Jack Allison left the University of Miami football program on Tuesday. ...

Closer Frankie Bartow stared into the Panthers’ dugout immediately after fanning the final batter of ...

Go ahead. Try telling former University of Miami quarterback Brad Kaaya that his critics say he gets ...

UM marks Holocaust Remembrance Day with a reading of names and recollections of a survivor. ...

A recent paper argues that not only have researchers just scratched the surface of analyzing the Ama ...

The period of the first 100 days in office is a telling gauge for a president's full term in th ...

UM students, staff and faculty join the worldwide march to end men’s violence against women. ...

Greek Week at the University of Miami is committed to raising money and awareness for United Cerebra ...

Images from @CanesMensTennis match against Duke. ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team came up short against No. 34 Duke University, 4-1, Th ...

Images from @CanesMensTennis win over Boston College. ...

Sinead Lohan and Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team were both among the ni ...

The fourth-seeded Miami women's tennis team is set to open ACC Championship play Friday afterno ...