Lewis tackles past with charity, faith

Ray Lewis’ career – one that has spanned 17 years and amassed countless accolades – has come to an end. And when all is said and done, he will be considered one of the all time greats at his position.

His legacy, however, is something much more complicated that will follow him past his playing days.

For many, his accomplishments solidify his greatness: He’s a 14-time pro bowler, a two-time defensive player of the year, a Super Bowl MVP, the only member of the 40 sacks/30 interceptions club, and he has played his position longer than any other player in history.

On the field, Ray Lewis is greatness defined. But other facts detract from his grandeur: A 2000 indictment for double-murder and aggravated assault charges after a brawl outside an Atlanta nightclub, a 1999 assault case after a woman said Lewis punched her in a Baltimore nightclub, and an undisclosed civil settlement to the family of Richard Loller, one of the two men murdered in the case.

It’s worth noting that after the 2000 trial, he changed his life for the better. He is now an ordained Christian minister and his charity, The Ray Lewis Foundation, is responsible for improvements and advances to the lives of underprivileged and at-risk youths in the Baltimore area. In 2010, a part of Baltimore’s North Avenue was renamed Ray Lewis Way in honor of his charitable work.

It is impossible to separate one’s professional and personal lives. That is why Lewis presents perhaps the biggest conundrum of any sports star ever. No athlete has ever been accused of something so heinous, while later going on to accomplish so much good.

So what is Lewis’ legacy? He has made mistakes, but has lived life ever since with a focus on charity and faith.

Robert Pursell is a senior majoring in journalism.

Robert Pursell

Most NBA mock drafts had Miami Hurricanes guard Davon Reed going late in the second round of Thursda ...

University of Miami shooting guard Davon Reed will gather with friends and family in Ewing, New Jers ...

University of Miami great and Pro Football Hall of Famer Warren Sapp announced on Tuesday that he pl ...

The University of Miami continues to make a hard push for five-star point guard Immanuel Quickley of ...

The University of Miami’s 2018 football recruiting class, already ranked the best in the country by ...

UM female scientists share some insight on women in science, science in Hollywood and how Wonder Wom ...

Read the latest entries from UM students who are spending part or all of their summer visiting diffe ...

UM Student Affairs Advocacy Coordinator Heather Stevens has been awarded the William Leftwich Award ...

President Julio Frenk makes the case for collaboration at eMerge Americas. ...

UM College of Engineering Dean Jean-Pierre Bardet and alumnus Rony Abovitz share the stage in a disc ...

The Atlantic Coast and Big Ten Conferences announced Monday, the University of Miami men's bask ...

Three members of the University of Miami men's tennis players have been selected as All-ACC Aca ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had four individuals selected to the 2017 Atlantic Co ...

A freshman from Stratham, N.H., Rebecca Ripley of the Miami women's basketball team sat down wi ...

University of Miami standout Shakima Wimbley is headed to the 2017 IAAF World Championships in Londo ...