Campus Life, News

Vitality U strives to aim weight training at women

The hallway in the main fitness room at the Wellness Center is often the dividing line between two worlds. Look left and you see the world of weight training, filled with men trying to bulk up. Look right and you notice women sweating during cardiovascular training.

Vitality U, a student-driven program at the center, hopes to change that and get more UM women to cross over to the other side of the gym on a regular basis.

“Women have figured that by weight training, you’re gonna bulk up, develop into a … man,” said Dominique Ennis, assistant director of fitness and personal training. “There are many benefits to weight training. It keeps bones dense and strong. So we want to put women’s minds at ease, that you won’t turn into the Incredible Hulk.”

Ennis hopes to build off  New Year’s resolutions to exercise more and gradually foster a confidence that will improve women’s level of fitness for life.

The first training program by Vitality U began this week. It is formatted in a three-week cycle, with emphasis on cardiovascular, core, lower- and upper-body training, as well as nutrition and diet. The exercises include squats, lunges and bench press, which are equally important for both gym rats and beginners.

The first week focuses on physical training; the second moves from the gym to the classroom to learn about the popular myths of the fitness world and debunk some of them; and the third week is back into the gym. The classes are repeated for four days each week, on Mondays and Thursdays from 10 to 11 a.m. and on Tuesdays and Wednesdays from 9 to 10 p.m.

Sophomore Elaine Golden showed up Tuesday night because she said  the “weight side” of the gym intimidated her.

“[Weight training] is a complement to what you’re doing in cardio, because without one, you’re missing benefits you could be getting,” Golden said. “I’m trying to learn a program I can use for the rest of my time in college … and I’m trying to develop habits that will last for the rest of my life.”

UM alumna Samantha Flanagan established the Vitality U program before she graduated last May, leaving the club in the hands of co-chairs Julie Martinez and Leela Mundra.

Vitality U was built off the Vitality City project created by National Geographic explorer Dan Buettner. Both programs are founded on the concepts of motivating healthy lifestyles. The Wellness Center website describes Vitality U as “a student-driven programming board that promotes the overall health and well-being of students by working to make the healthiest choice the easiest choice.”

“When you think about people and activity, there tends to be a focus on stereotype of gender,” said Ashley Falcon, assistant director of wellness education. “Men focus on weights; women work on cardio. We want to challenge that and make people feel comfortable to take on other aspects of fitness.”

Although the program is just beginning, Ennis envisions an evolved version of the class in the future.

“I would like to expand and make it a co-ed class and provide the incoming freshmen residents at Hecht and Stanford knowledge for the rest of college and their life,” Ennis said.

For more information about Vitality U, go to miami.edu/sa/index.php/wellness_center/vitalityu or send an email to  vitality@miami.edu.

Whitney Sommerfeldt contributed to this this report.

Michael R. Davis

Could the once forlorn University of Miami be closer than some think to extending that national-reco ...

A few media notes on a Thursday: • As has been the case most years, ABC has decided to televise the ...

Most of the University of Miami student body is on Summer break; but the Hurricanes football team is ...

University of Miami football great Cortez Kennedy, a Pro Football Hall of Famer remembered for his w ...

The Hurricanes are still alive in their quest to make it to the NCAA Division I Baseball Tournament. ...

A new study reveals that mindfulness training, but not relaxation training, benefits college athlete ...

Frenk delivered his inaugural lecture Wednesday, officially joining the most prestigious group of Me ...

Victor Oquendo, BSC ’09, is following in his parents’ footsteps. ...

The Rosenstiel School’s final lecture of the 2017 Sea Secrets series focused on using science diplom ...

Researchers believe they have found a new way to monitor the intensity and location of hurricanes fr ...

Five members of the University of Maimi track and field team advanced on Day 1 of the NCAA East Prel ...

No. 40 Estela Perez-Somarriba took down No. 27 Arianne Hartono of Ole Miss, 6-4, 6-3, Thursday morni ...

Jonathan Keller and Amanda Gale of the University of Miami track and field program were named to the ...

The University of Miami's Week 3 game at in-state rival Florida State on Sept. 16 will be telev ...

Due to inclement weather, the ACC Championship has adjusted the scheduled for games and Miami will n ...