Staff Editorial 1/31: Reduce, rethink, recharge

It comes as no surprise that many college students consume energy drinks. A Red Bull advertisement says it best: “Nobody ever wishes they’d slept more during college.”

But the human body needs three things to survive: food, water and sleep. Yes, sleep is essential. Even if it is less than eight hours.

Energy drinks will never replace sleep. Most importantly, energy drinks will never be healthy.

Finals week might be an exception. However, avoiding procrastination on research papers or studying can help too. Procrastination is one of the main reasons students initially splurge on these drinks.

Caffeine is the main ingredient in energy drinks because it is a stimulant, which hypes you up and makes you feel alert. Of course, this is why so many people are addicted to their cup of coffee in the morning. We’ve all heard the infamous line, “I can’t function without my coffee.”

Hopefully, energy drinks will never amount to that.

According to a report published by Fox News, energy drinks have as much sugar and about three times as much caffeine as a caffeinated soda.

Caffeine is a drug. It is an addictive substance. Your body can become tolerant to it over time, which means you’ll need more to feel the same effects.

Before you realize it, you’ll have withdrawal symptoms and cravings for it. So the next time Chegg.com sends you a can of Red Bull with your rental books, fight the temptation to open it. Throw it away instead.

Before you decide to energize yourself with an overdose of caffeine, educate yourself about these drinks. The Internet will inform you that energy drinks have been connected to fatalities. And the nutrition facts label on the back of your preferred drink will inform you that your energy shot causes harm to your body.

College is stressful, especially when trying to juggle a full load of courses with a social life on the side. We understand that getting your hands on an energy drink is easy and legal. However, your health is a priority. And we can assure you that an energy drink will not benefit your well-being.

At the end of the day, choices are ours to make. Though there are worst things in life than energy drinks, it is better to be educated now than sorry later.

And remember: The rush comes first, but the crash comes later.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

Hurricanes fans, get out your pencils, calendars and a list of your favorite hotels. The Atlantic Co ...

Three former Miami Hurricanes — defensive lineman Chad Thomas, offensive lineman KC McDermott and de ...

In all technicality, the Orange Bowl is a postseason, neutral-site bowl game that includes a top tea ...

When it comes to recruiting, the scariest sentence for Miami Hurricanes fans is this one: Nesta Silv ...

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

The Miami women's tennis team dominated play on its home court Friday to open the 2018 spring s ...

Hurricanes and Wolfpack face off at noon Sunday in Raleigh, N.C. ...

The University of Miami swimming & diving team will host FGCU for its annual Senior Day meet on ...

The Miami women's tennis team will begin its 2018 spring season this weekend on its home court. ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team took down Syracuse to record its 750th all-time ...