Staff Editorial 1/31: Reduce, rethink, recharge

It comes as no surprise that many college students consume energy drinks. A Red Bull advertisement says it best: “Nobody ever wishes they’d slept more during college.”

But the human body needs three things to survive: food, water and sleep. Yes, sleep is essential. Even if it is less than eight hours.

Energy drinks will never replace sleep. Most importantly, energy drinks will never be healthy.

Finals week might be an exception. However, avoiding procrastination on research papers or studying can help too. Procrastination is one of the main reasons students initially splurge on these drinks.

Caffeine is the main ingredient in energy drinks because it is a stimulant, which hypes you up and makes you feel alert. Of course, this is why so many people are addicted to their cup of coffee in the morning. We’ve all heard the infamous line, “I can’t function without my coffee.”

Hopefully, energy drinks will never amount to that.

According to a report published by Fox News, energy drinks have as much sugar and about three times as much caffeine as a caffeinated soda.

Caffeine is a drug. It is an addictive substance. Your body can become tolerant to it over time, which means you’ll need more to feel the same effects.

Before you realize it, you’ll have withdrawal symptoms and cravings for it. So the next time Chegg.com sends you a can of Red Bull with your rental books, fight the temptation to open it. Throw it away instead.

Before you decide to energize yourself with an overdose of caffeine, educate yourself about these drinks. The Internet will inform you that energy drinks have been connected to fatalities. And the nutrition facts label on the back of your preferred drink will inform you that your energy shot causes harm to your body.

College is stressful, especially when trying to juggle a full load of courses with a social life on the side. We understand that getting your hands on an energy drink is easy and legal. However, your health is a priority. And we can assure you that an energy drink will not benefit your well-being.

At the end of the day, choices are ours to make. Though there are worst things in life than energy drinks, it is better to be educated now than sorry later.

And remember: The rush comes first, but the crash comes later.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

University of Miami running back Mark Walton was rolling — until he got rolled on, or stepped on. Wa ...

For those concerned about the apparent on-field struggles of graduate transfer Dee Delaney, an All-A ...

This week’s Top 25 college-affiliated football polls, released Sunday afternoon, agreed on how to ta ...

A few quick thoughts (or second thoughts) after 14th-ranked UM’s 52-30 win against Toledo on Saturda ...

Miami Hurricanes senior wide receiver Braxton Berrios sprinted — in a joyous frenzy — for about 30 y ...

UM students fan out across South Florida to help local neighborhoods rebound from the impacts of Hur ...

Classes resume on the Coral Gables campus after the removal of 4 million pounds of landscape debris. ...

Students living in residential housing are returning to campus and classes with renewed resolve. ...

UM’s student-run ’Canes Emergency Response Team puts their training into action to assist with recov ...

UM students recount how they rode out the storm called Hurricane Irma. ...

Walton rushes for career-high 204 yards and Rosier has four touchdowns in Miami's comeback vict ...

The University of Miami volleyball team outlasted Virginia, 3-2, in Atlantic Coast Conference action ...

Sunday, Sinead Lohan became the first person in Miami women's tennis history to win the singles ...

The Miami women's tennis team concluded its opening weekend of play Sunday on the final day of ...

The University of Miami swimming team continued its weekend at All-Florida Invitational at the Steph ...