Staff Editorial 1/31: Reduce, rethink, recharge

It comes as no surprise that many college students consume energy drinks. A Red Bull advertisement says it best: “Nobody ever wishes they’d slept more during college.”

But the human body needs three things to survive: food, water and sleep. Yes, sleep is essential. Even if it is less than eight hours.

Energy drinks will never replace sleep. Most importantly, energy drinks will never be healthy.

Finals week might be an exception. However, avoiding procrastination on research papers or studying can help too. Procrastination is one of the main reasons students initially splurge on these drinks.

Caffeine is the main ingredient in energy drinks because it is a stimulant, which hypes you up and makes you feel alert. Of course, this is why so many people are addicted to their cup of coffee in the morning. We’ve all heard the infamous line, “I can’t function without my coffee.”

Hopefully, energy drinks will never amount to that.

According to a report published by Fox News, energy drinks have as much sugar and about three times as much caffeine as a caffeinated soda.

Caffeine is a drug. It is an addictive substance. Your body can become tolerant to it over time, which means you’ll need more to feel the same effects.

Before you realize it, you’ll have withdrawal symptoms and cravings for it. So the next time Chegg.com sends you a can of Red Bull with your rental books, fight the temptation to open it. Throw it away instead.

Before you decide to energize yourself with an overdose of caffeine, educate yourself about these drinks. The Internet will inform you that energy drinks have been connected to fatalities. And the nutrition facts label on the back of your preferred drink will inform you that your energy shot causes harm to your body.

College is stressful, especially when trying to juggle a full load of courses with a social life on the side. We understand that getting your hands on an energy drink is easy and legal. However, your health is a priority. And we can assure you that an energy drink will not benefit your well-being.

At the end of the day, choices are ours to make. Though there are worst things in life than energy drinks, it is better to be educated now than sorry later.

And remember: The rush comes first, but the crash comes later.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

Could the once forlorn University of Miami be closer than some think to extending that national-reco ...

A few media notes on a Thursday: • As has been the case most years, ABC has decided to televise the ...

Most of the University of Miami student body is on Summer break; but the Hurricanes football team is ...

University of Miami football great Cortez Kennedy, a Pro Football Hall of Famer remembered for his w ...

The Hurricanes are still alive in their quest to make it to the NCAA Division I Baseball Tournament. ...

A new study reveals that mindfulness training, but not relaxation training, benefits college athlete ...

Frenk delivered his inaugural lecture Wednesday, officially joining the most prestigious group of Me ...

Victor Oquendo, BSC ’09, is following in his parents’ footsteps. ...

The Rosenstiel School’s final lecture of the 2017 Sea Secrets series focused on using science diplom ...

Researchers believe they have found a new way to monitor the intensity and location of hurricanes fr ...

No. 40 Estela Perez-Somarriba took down No. 27 Arianne Hartono of Ole Miss, 6-4, 6-3, Thursday morni ...

Jonathan Keller and Amanda Gale of the University of Miami track and field program were named to the ...

The University of Miami's Week 3 game at in-state rival Florida State on Sept. 16 will be telev ...

Due to inclement weather, the ACC Championship has adjusted the scheduled for games and Miami will n ...

No. 40 Estela Perez-Somarriba dominated the final two sets to register a 1-6, 6-1, 6-1 triumph over ...