Staff Editorial 1/31: Reduce, rethink, recharge

It comes as no surprise that many college students consume energy drinks. A Red Bull advertisement says it best: “Nobody ever wishes they’d slept more during college.”

But the human body needs three things to survive: food, water and sleep. Yes, sleep is essential. Even if it is less than eight hours.

Energy drinks will never replace sleep. Most importantly, energy drinks will never be healthy.

Finals week might be an exception. However, avoiding procrastination on research papers or studying can help too. Procrastination is one of the main reasons students initially splurge on these drinks.

Caffeine is the main ingredient in energy drinks because it is a stimulant, which hypes you up and makes you feel alert. Of course, this is why so many people are addicted to their cup of coffee in the morning. We’ve all heard the infamous line, “I can’t function without my coffee.”

Hopefully, energy drinks will never amount to that.

According to a report published by Fox News, energy drinks have as much sugar and about three times as much caffeine as a caffeinated soda.

Caffeine is a drug. It is an addictive substance. Your body can become tolerant to it over time, which means you’ll need more to feel the same effects.

Before you realize it, you’ll have withdrawal symptoms and cravings for it. So the next time Chegg.com sends you a can of Red Bull with your rental books, fight the temptation to open it. Throw it away instead.

Before you decide to energize yourself with an overdose of caffeine, educate yourself about these drinks. The Internet will inform you that energy drinks have been connected to fatalities. And the nutrition facts label on the back of your preferred drink will inform you that your energy shot causes harm to your body.

College is stressful, especially when trying to juggle a full load of courses with a social life on the side. We understand that getting your hands on an energy drink is easy and legal. However, your health is a priority. And we can assure you that an energy drink will not benefit your well-being.

At the end of the day, choices are ours to make. Though there are worst things in life than energy drinks, it is better to be educated now than sorry later.

And remember: The rush comes first, but the crash comes later.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

It was midweek when Miami leading receiver Braxton Berrios wistfully spoke of his four years as a Hu ...

Eli Rosier will be back where he belongs Saturday, where he feels most at home. He will be at a foot ...

The 11th-ranked University of Miami men’s basketball team remained undefeated with a 90-59 victory o ...

They remain undefeated — but still untested. The 11th-ranked University of Miami men’s basketball te ...

It has inspired T-shirts and a Migos-style hype song. Soon, fans will have a beer brewed in honor of ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

A cohort of five religious leaders from Miami, including a rabbi and imam from the University of Mia ...

Hollywood actress and star of the hit BET series Being Mary Jane gets real about gender, race and co ...

The annual development agreement meeting is a time for the city and University to share information ...

Here are three matchups to watch in Saturday's Senior Day game between the No. 3 Canes and Virg ...

The University of Miami volleyball team produced some late-match magic Friday night to outlast an in ...

Miami's seniors will play their final home game at Hard Rock Stadium when the Canes face Virgin ...

Six Hurricanes were in double figures as the Hurricanes improved to 3-0 on the season. ...

The University of Miami rowing team introduced the newest members of the Hurricanes rowing program o ...