Sports Briefs 1/31

WOMEN’S BASKETBALL

Following a bitter, last-second 64-62 loss to North Carolina on Sunday afternoon, the Hurricanes will take a trip to Durham, N.C., to take on the ACC leading Duke Blue Devils on Thursday night. Miami, currently sitting on a 5-4 ACC record, will look to upset No. 4 Duke, who remains the only team undefeated in conference play. The Canes will look for their first-ever win over the Blue Devils. Tipoff is set for 7 p.m. Thursday night. The game can be heard live on 90.5 FM or on wvum.org.

MEN’S BASKETBALL

Following Wednesday’s night game against Virginia Tech, the Hurricanes will travel up to Raleigh, N.C., to take on N.C. State in what is expected to be an exciting matchup between two ranked conference opponents. Miami, currently No. 14 in the Associated Press rankings, will look to hold off the No. 19 Wolfpack and remain on top of the ACC standings. The game is slated for a 4 p.m. start on Saturday. It will be broadcast locally on CBS. The Hurricanes’ upcoming home matchup on Feb. 9 against UNC is officially sold out. Miami has sold out the BankUnited Center for three games so far this season, including its last two home contests against Duke and Florida State.

SUPER BOWL

When the San Francisco 49ers and the Baltimore Ravens kick off on Sunday evening, seven former Hurricane football players will be represented in the Super Bowl. Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Bryant McKinnie, Damien Berry and Tommy Streeter for Baltimore, and Frank Gore and Tavares Gooden for the 49ers. Lewis will be competing in his second Super Bowl, after coming away victorious in Super Bowl XXXV in 2000. Everyone else will be looking for their first championship. Both Lewis and Gore are coming off big games, with Lewis recording 14 tackles against the New England Patriots in the AFC Championship. Gore carried the ball 21 times for 90 yards and two touchdowns against the Atlanta Falcons in the NFC Championship.

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com.

Ernesto Suarez may be contacted at sports@themiamihurricane.com.

Most NBA mock drafts had Miami Hurricanes guard Davon Reed going late in the second round of Thursda ...

University of Miami shooting guard Davon Reed will gather with friends and family in Ewing, New Jers ...

University of Miami great and Pro Football Hall of Famer Warren Sapp announced on Tuesday that he pl ...

The University of Miami continues to make a hard push for five-star point guard Immanuel Quickley of ...

The University of Miami’s 2018 football recruiting class, already ranked the best in the country by ...

UM female scientists share some insight on women in science, science in Hollywood and how Wonder Wom ...

Read the latest entries from UM students who are spending part or all of their summer visiting diffe ...

UM Student Affairs Advocacy Coordinator Heather Stevens has been awarded the William Leftwich Award ...

President Julio Frenk makes the case for collaboration at eMerge Americas. ...

UM College of Engineering Dean Jean-Pierre Bardet and alumnus Rony Abovitz share the stage in a disc ...

Two outgoing Miami student-athletes, Shakima Wimbley and Gracie Lachowecki, have officially been nam ...

Miami Deputy AD/SWA Jennifer Strawley has been named a member of the WBCA Board of Directors, as ann ...

The Atlantic Coast and Big Ten Conferences announced Monday, the University of Miami men's bask ...

Three members of the University of Miami men's tennis players have been selected as All-ACC Aca ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had four individuals selected to the 2017 Atlantic Co ...