Sports Briefs 1/31

WOMEN’S BASKETBALL

Following a bitter, last-second 64-62 loss to North Carolina on Sunday afternoon, the Hurricanes will take a trip to Durham, N.C., to take on the ACC leading Duke Blue Devils on Thursday night. Miami, currently sitting on a 5-4 ACC record, will look to upset No. 4 Duke, who remains the only team undefeated in conference play. The Canes will look for their first-ever win over the Blue Devils. Tipoff is set for 7 p.m. Thursday night. The game can be heard live on 90.5 FM or on wvum.org.

MEN’S BASKETBALL

Following Wednesday’s night game against Virginia Tech, the Hurricanes will travel up to Raleigh, N.C., to take on N.C. State in what is expected to be an exciting matchup between two ranked conference opponents. Miami, currently No. 14 in the Associated Press rankings, will look to hold off the No. 19 Wolfpack and remain on top of the ACC standings. The game is slated for a 4 p.m. start on Saturday. It will be broadcast locally on CBS. The Hurricanes’ upcoming home matchup on Feb. 9 against UNC is officially sold out. Miami has sold out the BankUnited Center for three games so far this season, including its last two home contests against Duke and Florida State.

SUPER BOWL

When the San Francisco 49ers and the Baltimore Ravens kick off on Sunday evening, seven former Hurricane football players will be represented in the Super Bowl. Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Bryant McKinnie, Damien Berry and Tommy Streeter for Baltimore, and Frank Gore and Tavares Gooden for the 49ers. Lewis will be competing in his second Super Bowl, after coming away victorious in Super Bowl XXXV in 2000. Everyone else will be looking for their first championship. Both Lewis and Gore are coming off big games, with Lewis recording 14 tackles against the New England Patriots in the AFC Championship. Gore carried the ball 21 times for 90 yards and two touchdowns against the Atlanta Falcons in the NFC Championship.

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com.

Ernesto Suarez may be contacted at sports@themiamihurricane.com.

The Miami Hurricanes are 2-0 when these two things happen: Michael Mediavilla starts, and Michael Bu ...

If Miami Hurricanes fans were hoping to hear that one quarterback charged forward with such authorit ...

The Florida State Seminoles came through in the clutch. The Miami Hurricanes did not. That pretty mu ...

The Jerry’s Pizza of Mark Richt’s youth is gone, but Fran’s Chicken Haven — “If the Colonel had our ...

Hey, Hurricane basketball fans, do you ever sit around and wonder whatever happened to Guillermo Dia ...

UM students, staff and faculty join the worldwide march to end men’s violence against women. ...

Greek Week at the University of Miami is committed to raising money and awareness for United Cerebra ...

Carlos Bustamante, a Presidential Distinguished Scholar, kicked off his series of lectures about gen ...

Edward Abraham, M.D., has been named Dean of the University of Miami Leonard M. Miller School of Med ...

Junior Kristiana Yao is the first named at UM in the last 33 years. ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team is set to play its final match of the regular season ...

Ebony Morrison & women's 4x100m won at Baylor, while Gabrielle Hesslau & Sean Grossman ...

Sunday's finale between the Miami Hurricanes and Florida State Seminoles (April 23) will be pla ...

The No. 39 Miami women's tennis team will play its final match of the regular season Sunday at ...

On a night when he connected for a grand slam against archrival Florida State in front of a sold-out ...