Spend date night on campus

Dating is nearly always romanticized in movies and books, but in reality it can be stressful and, quite frankly, expensive.

But whether you’re dirt broke or one of the wealthiest students on campus, your wallet will always thank you for a free date.

Most guys (and let’s face it, some girls too) might be thinking the best free date would be an athletic event, but in reality you might end up focusing more on the game and less on your date.

There’s really no excuse for missing out on a good conversation, so take the time to get creative and get to know your date.

There are plenty of other options that your significant other might find at least a little bit more romantic.

For cinema lovers, there is always a good selection of movies at the Cosford Cinema. Coming up this semester are “The Perks of Being a Wallflower,” “Wreck-It Ralph” and “Life of Pi.”

For those who are more romantic, the Cosford is constantly screening new indie and foreign films, all free for students.

Hurricane Productions has plenty of other events that are free of charge, like “Screen on the Green” and its upcoming drive-in movie screening of “Hercules” on the roof of Pavia Garage on Feb. 7.

If you’re more of a performing arts junkie, the Frost School of Music and Ring Theatre provide plenty of options.

Check out the Ring Theatre’s upcoming production of “King Lear,” which opens Feb. 20, or the Annual Concerto Competition by the Frost Symphony Orchestra on Feb. 9.

For the art buffs, take advantage of the Lowe Art Museum. If your partner is the one who loves art, let them teach you a thing or two. You can both check out the Lowe’s “Stephen Knapp: New Light” exhibit. Knapp uses light to create colorful displays.

But if you really want to show your creative side, make your own campus experience specifically for the two of you.

This is one of the most beautiful campuses in the country.

Most people wouldn’t take the time out to plan a tour of the campus, so show your partner your favorite spots and end with a private picnic in the pit next to the physics building.

If you want to keep it outdoors, check out the John C. Gifford Arboretum behind the physics building, but with a twist.

Look online for interesting plants or flowers and set up a blanket next to them. Then return at night with a flashlight and explore the newfound plants.

After your exploration, take the opportunity to get to know each other better. Lounge on your blanket and gaze at the stars together.

If you take money out of the scenario, the creative juices start flowing, and you can really start to come up with dates that make both of you happy.

These ideas are simple and creative, but more importantly for broke, hopeless and romantic college students, they are completely free.

So try it out, let’s see if we can throw out the expensive dinners and date ideas, but still have a good time.

Enrico Dominguez

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Spend date night on campus”

1. Joe Ballester says:

Those are some great idea’s. but what about bum fights? She can hold the camera while I referee

Most NBA mock drafts had Miami Hurricanes guard Davon Reed going late in the second round of Thursda ...

University of Miami shooting guard Davon Reed will gather with friends and family in Ewing, New Jers ...

University of Miami great and Pro Football Hall of Famer Warren Sapp announced on Tuesday that he pl ...

The University of Miami continues to make a hard push for five-star point guard Immanuel Quickley of ...

The University of Miami’s 2018 football recruiting class, already ranked the best in the country by ...

UM female scientists share some insight on women in science, science in Hollywood and how Wonder Wom ...

Read the latest entries from UM students who are spending part or all of their summer visiting diffe ...

UM Student Affairs Advocacy Coordinator Heather Stevens has been awarded the William Leftwich Award ...

President Julio Frenk makes the case for collaboration at eMerge Americas. ...

UM College of Engineering Dean Jean-Pierre Bardet and alumnus Rony Abovitz share the stage in a disc ...

The Atlantic Coast and Big Ten Conferences announced Monday, the University of Miami men's bask ...

Three members of the University of Miami men's tennis players have been selected as All-ACC Aca ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had four individuals selected to the 2017 Atlantic Co ...

A freshman from Stratham, N.H., Rebecca Ripley of the Miami women's basketball team sat down wi ...

University of Miami standout Shakima Wimbley is headed to the 2017 IAAF World Championships in Londo ...