Notable coach hits the small screen

Luther “Uncle Luke” Campbell is known as a lot of different things to a lot of different people.

As the notorious lead singer of 2 Live Crew, he earned the label as the leader of the most profane music group of all time.

The ESPN documentary “The U” hinted at Campbell’s alleged financial incentives given to Hurricane football players during their heyday of the 1980s and early 1990s.

Campbell’s star status even led him to campaign for mayor of Miami. But the award-winning HBO program “Real Sports” helps shed light on the modern-day Uncle Luke.  That is, coach Luke.

Today, Campbell is a defensive coordinator at Miami Northwestern, one of the country’s finest high school football programs – and also the alma mater of many Canes, past and present.

Miami Northwestern’s football program has been an important recruiting pipeline for Miami, producing the likes of Melvin Bratton, Brett Perriman, Vernon Carey, Jacory Harris, Sean Spence, Tommy Streeter and Marcus Fortson, as well as with current Canes Ben Jones and Kendal Thompkins.

So how did Campbell make the jump from the rap limelight to the gridiron?

The Liberty City, Fla., native, who made millions for his rap exploits and pledged to reinvest his money back into his hometown, started a youth football league.

NFL and college stars, including Chad Ochocinco, played in the program with Campbell’s Pop Warner teams winning numerous national championships.

When the call came for Campbell to join the coaching ranks, he jumped on the opportunity.

“I take the whole game of football, and translate it into life,” Campbell said in the “Real Sports” segment.

But as the contemplative piece details, Campbell has faced difficulty outrunning his past.

Hurricanes and rap fans alike should make a point to check the story out.

The piece will replay on HBO at 10 a.m. Saturday, as well as 7 and 11 p.m. Tuesday.  It is also available on HBO On Demand and hbogo.com.

Michael Perchick

Contributing Columnist

The Hurricanes have become part of college football’s national conversation, and the more wins they ...

Kicker Michael Badgley will soon become the University of Miami’s all-time field goal leader. In the ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt called Darrell Langham’s amazing, 28-yard catch on fourth-and-1 ...

Darrell Langham is 6-4, but might as well be 8-4 — that’s how much he has grown in stature for the M ...

The Miami Hurricanes have done it again. For the second week in a row, the Canes rallied to win in t ...

Hurricanes legends Michael Irvin, Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Warren Sapp and Sean Taylor were officially ad ...

University of Miami wide receiver Darrell Langham and kicker Michael Badgley were among those recogn ...

University of Miami redshirt setter Haley Templeton was named ACC Player of the Week, the conference ...

Freshman Bojan Jankulovski highlighted Day 2 competition on Saturday for the University of Miami men ...

The University of Miami's football game at North Carolina on Oct. 28 will kick off at noon ET o ...