Notable coach hits the small screen

Luther “Uncle Luke” Campbell is known as a lot of different things to a lot of different people.

As the notorious lead singer of 2 Live Crew, he earned the label as the leader of the most profane music group of all time.

The ESPN documentary “The U” hinted at Campbell’s alleged financial incentives given to Hurricane football players during their heyday of the 1980s and early 1990s.

Campbell’s star status even led him to campaign for mayor of Miami. But the award-winning HBO program “Real Sports” helps shed light on the modern-day Uncle Luke.  That is, coach Luke.

Today, Campbell is a defensive coordinator at Miami Northwestern, one of the country’s finest high school football programs – and also the alma mater of many Canes, past and present.

Miami Northwestern’s football program has been an important recruiting pipeline for Miami, producing the likes of Melvin Bratton, Brett Perriman, Vernon Carey, Jacory Harris, Sean Spence, Tommy Streeter and Marcus Fortson, as well as with current Canes Ben Jones and Kendal Thompkins.

So how did Campbell make the jump from the rap limelight to the gridiron?

The Liberty City, Fla., native, who made millions for his rap exploits and pledged to reinvest his money back into his hometown, started a youth football league.

NFL and college stars, including Chad Ochocinco, played in the program with Campbell’s Pop Warner teams winning numerous national championships.

When the call came for Campbell to join the coaching ranks, he jumped on the opportunity.

“I take the whole game of football, and translate it into life,” Campbell said in the “Real Sports” segment.

But as the contemplative piece details, Campbell has faced difficulty outrunning his past.

Hurricanes and rap fans alike should make a point to check the story out.

The piece will replay on HBO at 10 a.m. Saturday, as well as 7 and 11 p.m. Tuesday.  It is also available on HBO On Demand and hbogo.com.

Michael Perchick

Contributing Columnist

Most NBA mock drafts had Miami Hurricanes guard Davon Reed going late in the second round of Thursda ...

University of Miami shooting guard Davon Reed will gather with friends and family in Ewing, New Jers ...

University of Miami great and Pro Football Hall of Famer Warren Sapp announced on Tuesday that he pl ...

The University of Miami continues to make a hard push for five-star point guard Immanuel Quickley of ...

The University of Miami’s 2018 football recruiting class, already ranked the best in the country by ...

UM Student Affairs Advocacy Coordinator Heather Stevens has been awarded the William Leftwich Award ...

President Julio Frenk makes the case for collaboration at eMerge Americas. ...

UM College of Engineering Dean Jean-Pierre Bardet and alumnus Rony Abovitz share the stage in a disc ...

UM showcases its technology initiatives and projects at eMerge Americas ...

The University of Miami Center for Computational Science and the Fastrack Institute sign an agreemen ...

Four weeks, four potential stars, only at The U. ...

Redshirt senior forward Kamari Murphy of the University of Miami men's basketball team will pla ...

Senior guard Davon Reed of the University of Miami men's basketball team was selected No. 32 ov ...

Lexi Castellano of the University of Miami soccer team spent almost four weeks this summer in Vietna ...

Miami Hurricanes baseball legend Pat Burrell will be inducted into the Omaha College Baseball Hall o ...