News Briefs 1/31

Awards 

The UM Women’s Commission is hosting its 42nd Annual Awards Breakfast from 8 to 9:30 a.m. on March 21 in the Fieldhouse. It will feature guest speaker Racquel Russell, the deputy assistant to the president for Urban Affairs and Economic Mobility on the White House Domestic Policy Council. Russell is a UM alumna and member of Iron Arrow. Russell has worked on various policy issues including economic mobility, nutrition policy, health care and women’s issues. Reservations must be made by March 15. Breakfast is $10 per person. For more information, visit miami.edu/wc.

Leadership

The College MENtality Series allows male students on campus to explore the characteristics of successful male leaders in order to incorporate some of their leadership styles into their own. The event will take place at 7 p.m. Feb. 7 in the Mahoney Master’s Apartment.

Study Abroad

The deadline to apply for the Japanese Languages and Culture study abroad program in Southern Japan is March 1, or until the program is full. The cultural and linguistic immersion program will allow students to learn about the major aesthetic, social, historical and political factors that have shaped contemporary and traditional Japanese culture, society and identity. The program is held on the island of Kyushu, a region that has relatively little exposure to foreigners, and therefore offers a more authentic immersion experience. For information about the program, email the leading professor Eiko Isogai Williams at e.williams2@miami.edu.

Lyssa Goldberg may be contacted at lgoldberg@themiamihurricane.com.

About Author

Lyssa Goldberg Lyssa Goldberg is online editor of The Miami Hurricane. She is a senior majoring in journalism and political science with a minor in math. She has interned at Mashable and the Miami New Times, and her work has also been featured in The Huffington Post.

And another one... The stars just keep committing. A few hours after Miami Southridge’s nationally h ...

Want an early look at the incoming shooting guard who has a chance to become Miami’s best basketball ...

The University of Miami quarterback corps is deep in numbers but shallow in experience. The battle c ...

Freshmen anyone? Mark Richt sounds like he’s liking these three early-enrollee true freshmen a whole ...

The University of Miami completed Day Three of spring football on Saturday, and as soon as practice ...

More than 250 participants met at the UM Fieldhouse at the Watsco Center to learn more from industry ...

Redshirt freshman diver David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men’s 10-meter plat ...

UM junior Gina Panarese was surprised on campus Thursday by the Ellen DeGeneres show and asked to pa ...

A conversation with Belén Garijo and Felicia Marie Knaul. ...

Nova Southeastern University’s Jacqueline A. Travisano will be UM’s Executive Vice President for Bus ...

Highlights from the 2016-17 Miami men's basketball season ...

Miami fell to No. 34 University of Louisville, 4-1, Sunday at the Bass-Rudd Tennis Center. ...

Facing its 10th top-30 opponent in 13 matches this season, the No. 37 Miami women's tennis team ...

Junior lefthander Michael Mediavilla was his vintage self, Miami's offense came through again, ...

Miami redshirt freshman David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men's 10-meter ...