News Briefs 1/31

Awards 

The UM Women’s Commission is hosting its 42nd Annual Awards Breakfast from 8 to 9:30 a.m. on March 21 in the Fieldhouse. It will feature guest speaker Racquel Russell, the deputy assistant to the president for Urban Affairs and Economic Mobility on the White House Domestic Policy Council. Russell is a UM alumna and member of Iron Arrow. Russell has worked on various policy issues including economic mobility, nutrition policy, health care and women’s issues. Reservations must be made by March 15. Breakfast is $10 per person. For more information, visit miami.edu/wc.

Leadership

The College MENtality Series allows male students on campus to explore the characteristics of successful male leaders in order to incorporate some of their leadership styles into their own. The event will take place at 7 p.m. Feb. 7 in the Mahoney Master’s Apartment.

Study Abroad

The deadline to apply for the Japanese Languages and Culture study abroad program in Southern Japan is March 1, or until the program is full. The cultural and linguistic immersion program will allow students to learn about the major aesthetic, social, historical and political factors that have shaped contemporary and traditional Japanese culture, society and identity. The program is held on the island of Kyushu, a region that has relatively little exposure to foreigners, and therefore offers a more authentic immersion experience. For information about the program, email the leading professor Eiko Isogai Williams at e.williams2@miami.edu.

Lyssa Goldberg may be contacted at lgoldberg@themiamihurricane.com.

Lyssa Goldberg

Lyssa Goldberg is online editor of The Miami Hurricane. She is a senior majoring in journalism and political science with a minor in math. She has interned at Mashable and the Miami New Times, and her work has also been featured in The Huffington Post.

Florida State's recruiting trail hit Georgia last week, and while the #Tribe19 class is a focal ...

It's almost summer, time for college football players to wind down and chill out — every now an ...

More than a decade after former University of Miami football star Sean Taylor was murdered during a ...

Lonnie Walker excelled on the court during the NBA Combine in Chicago last week. The potential lotte ...

Voters head to the polls in a historic election to choose the country’s next president. ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

Last season, Miami Hurricanes fans created, quite simply, one of the best home-field advantages in c ...

Confident and effective service game propelled University of Miami senior Christian Langmo and fresh ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is headed back to the NCAA Singles Cham ...

Junior becomes first three-time All-American in program history. ...

For the 16th year in a row, the Miami women's tennis team ended the season ranked in the top 20 ...