News Briefs 1/31

Awards 

The UM Women’s Commission is hosting its 42nd Annual Awards Breakfast from 8 to 9:30 a.m. on March 21 in the Fieldhouse. It will feature guest speaker Racquel Russell, the deputy assistant to the president for Urban Affairs and Economic Mobility on the White House Domestic Policy Council. Russell is a UM alumna and member of Iron Arrow. Russell has worked on various policy issues including economic mobility, nutrition policy, health care and women’s issues. Reservations must be made by March 15. Breakfast is $10 per person. For more information, visit miami.edu/wc.

Leadership

The College MENtality Series allows male students on campus to explore the characteristics of successful male leaders in order to incorporate some of their leadership styles into their own. The event will take place at 7 p.m. Feb. 7 in the Mahoney Master’s Apartment.

Study Abroad

The deadline to apply for the Japanese Languages and Culture study abroad program in Southern Japan is March 1, or until the program is full. The cultural and linguistic immersion program will allow students to learn about the major aesthetic, social, historical and political factors that have shaped contemporary and traditional Japanese culture, society and identity. The program is held on the island of Kyushu, a region that has relatively little exposure to foreigners, and therefore offers a more authentic immersion experience. For information about the program, email the leading professor Eiko Isogai Williams at e.williams2@miami.edu.

Lyssa Goldberg may be contacted at lgoldberg@themiamihurricane.com.

Lyssa Goldberg

Lyssa Goldberg is online editor of The Miami Hurricane. She is a senior majoring in journalism and political science with a minor in math. She has interned at Mashable and the Miami New Times, and her work has also been featured in The Huffington Post.

If defense really does win championships, the University of Miami is in good shape. Despite giving u ...

This is the Miami Hurricanes team that finally solved its long hex in finally winning at Florida Sta ...

1. HURRICANES: No. 3 Canes beat Virginia in home finale: ACC title game, first 10-win season since 2 ...

The No. 2 Miami Hurricanes are kings at keeping their fans in a panicked state — then filling them w ...

CANESFAN SATISFACTION METER: G10: Time again for the latest edition of the Canesfan Satisfaction Met ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

A cohort of five religious leaders from Miami, including a rabbi and imam from the University of Mia ...

Hollywood actress and star of the hit BET series Being Mary Jane gets real about gender, race and co ...

The annual development agreement meeting is a time for the city and University to share information ...

Miami survived an early scare to beat Virginia, 44-28, and achieve its first 10-win season since 200 ...

The University of Miami volleyball team produced some late-match magic Friday night to outlast an in ...

Miami dropped a 67-61 decision to Colorado on Saturday afternoon in its first road game of the seaso ...

Here are three matchups to watch in Saturday's Senior Day game between the No. 3 Canes and Virg ...

Miami's seniors will play their final home game at Hard Rock Stadium when the Canes face Virgin ...