News Briefs 1/31

Awards 

The UM Women’s Commission is hosting its 42nd Annual Awards Breakfast from 8 to 9:30 a.m. on March 21 in the Fieldhouse. It will feature guest speaker Racquel Russell, the deputy assistant to the president for Urban Affairs and Economic Mobility on the White House Domestic Policy Council. Russell is a UM alumna and member of Iron Arrow. Russell has worked on various policy issues including economic mobility, nutrition policy, health care and women’s issues. Reservations must be made by March 15. Breakfast is $10 per person. For more information, visit miami.edu/wc.

Leadership

The College MENtality Series allows male students on campus to explore the characteristics of successful male leaders in order to incorporate some of their leadership styles into their own. The event will take place at 7 p.m. Feb. 7 in the Mahoney Master’s Apartment.

Study Abroad

The deadline to apply for the Japanese Languages and Culture study abroad program in Southern Japan is March 1, or until the program is full. The cultural and linguistic immersion program will allow students to learn about the major aesthetic, social, historical and political factors that have shaped contemporary and traditional Japanese culture, society and identity. The program is held on the island of Kyushu, a region that has relatively little exposure to foreigners, and therefore offers a more authentic immersion experience. For information about the program, email the leading professor Eiko Isogai Williams at e.williams2@miami.edu.

Lyssa Goldberg may be contacted at lgoldberg@themiamihurricane.com.

Lyssa Goldberg

Lyssa Goldberg is online editor of The Miami Hurricane. She is a senior majoring in journalism and political science with a minor in math. She has interned at Mashable and the Miami New Times, and her work has also been featured in The Huffington Post.

University of Miami running back Mark Walton was rolling — until he got rolled on, or stepped on. Wa ...

View photos from the Toledo Rockets at Miami Hurricanes game Saturday, Sept. 23, 2017, at Hard Rock ...

What seemed like calamity at the half turned out OK. The defense stepped up, Malik Rosier stepped up ...

A dozen thoughts and notes from UM’s 52-30 win against Toledo on Saturday at Hard Rock Stadium, a ga ...

1. DOLPHINS: Fins visit Stinkin' Jets: Biggest challenge facing Dolphins as Sunday's Jets ...

UM students fan out across South Florida to help local neighborhoods rebound from the impacts of Hur ...

Classes resume on the Coral Gables campus after the removal of 4 million pounds of landscape debris. ...

Students living in residential housing are returning to campus and classes with renewed resolve. ...

UM’s student-run ’Canes Emergency Response Team puts their training into action to assist with recov ...

UM students recount how they rode out the storm called Hurricane Irma. ...

Walton rushes for career-high 204 yards and Rosier has four touchdowns in Miami's comeback vict ...

The Miami women's tennis team posted a 7-3 record, highlighted by Ana Madcur's win over ni ...

The University of Miami women's golf team opened the fall portion of its 2017-18 schedule Satur ...

Sinead Lohan of the Miami women's tennis team beat two top-65 players to reach the Milwaukee Te ...

Nathan Kuck and Maryam Jawid led the University of Miami cross country program with top 10 finishes ...