Giving a cold shoulder to a hot, new trend

After an eight-hour workout at the gym, in which I mostly drank Gatorade and used cheesy pickup lines on girls running on the treadmill, I should end my manly day by engulfing some hearty, cholesterol-filled steak. But instead, I follow the South Florida hipster trends.

This annoying desire to fit in led me to a frozen yogurt shop, where you will usually run into every personality ranging from gangster rappers to your grandma. For some reason all of Miami has fallen for the sugar-free, lightly colored mushiness that you have the option to smother with Oreo cookies, gummy bears or fake strawberries for the low price of $16 an ounce.

As I sprinkle Fruity Pebbles on my nonfat, red velvet cupcake yogurt, there is a small part of me that doesn’t find the appeal of this snack that was once only consumed by third grade Girl Scouts after school.

I can’t deny that frozen yogurt is tasty. That’s not the issue. The complaint is about walking into a restaurant painted like a Chuck E. Cheese’s mixed with a “Powerpuff Girls’” episode (I’m not proud to say that I watched it). Even worse is waiting in line behind people who are so excited to mix yogurts that they have to Instagram it.

Ordering coffee at Starbucks is complicated enough, but now I have to memorize yogurt combinations too. With 60 different yogurt flavors and 500 toppings to choose from, I just can’t find the space in the tiny paper bowl they give me to fit it all.

As college students, do we really need to stoop that low and hang out at yogurt shops? Let’s be honest here, we all crave sugary ice cream with peanut butter cups and chocolate syrup running down our faces as opposed to basically eating watered down fat-free whipped cream.

So unless you’re dating a high school senior, there is no reason to choose Menchie’s over a decent restaurant. As tacky as T.G.I. Friday’s is, it’s still better than a Friday night with froyo where you will most likely be surrounded by an entire girls’ pee wee soccer team.

Instead of scooping yogurt from my pink spoon with a winky cartoon face on it in front of all the hipsters that are too lazy to find a food truck, I will go home and pull a Go-Gurt out of my freezer and into my mouth.

There I can enjoy a simple yogurt with no complicated toppings, and no people to judge my fruity cravings. That may have sounded a little strange, but at least I’m not at a public yogurt gathering.

Kyle Rambo is a junior majoring in math.

About Author

Kyle Rambo

Just one glance at Brad Kaaya throwing passes Tuesday after the University of Miami’s first spring f ...

Senior guards Adrienne Motley and Jessica Thomas sat slumped over on the Watsco Center floor late Mo ...

Spring has sprung for the University of Miami football program. Practice, closed to the public, had ...

View photos of the first day of Miami Hurricanes spring football practice on Tues., March 22, 2017 … ...

News and views from the first day of UM football spring practice: • Found it interesting that when M ...

Sir James Galway, Distinguished Presidential Scholar, inspires flute students with his artistry and ...

Activist and community organizer Alicia Garza stresses the need for a richness of ideas to help solv ...

UM physicist studies the unexpected consequences of sub-second delays on fast-moving data systems ...

The world renown flautist joins the Frost School of Music ...

A fluid multi-platform exhibition examines the impacts of climate change through art, research, medi ...

At the Net with Jesse Flores ...

At the Net with... ...

Kristina Fisher of the Miami soccer team has been selected to participate in an upcoming U.S. U-23 W ...

Junior Piotr Lomacki represents the Canes in the ITA singles rankings, released Tuesday, at No. 73. ...

The No. 15th–ranked University of Miami women's golf team concluded competition at the 2017 Bri ...