Blogs

An Eye on the Hurricane: Preparing for February’s issues

With every spring semester the staff as a whole groans at the idea of basketball season. It means late games and even later deadlines. And with our strict 11 p.m. deadline with The Miami Herald, it puts us in a bind. But our long nights in the newsroom are made sweeter when our ancient television tells us that the men’s team beat No.1 ranked Duke, by 27 points no less. We wish the Canes all the luck as they take on Virginia Tech Wednesday. Check out the story at themiamihurricane.com.

Students tend to complain a lot about professors, some of it is justified and some of it is not. Our latest editorial urged students to face professors and stand up when you disagree with their points. University is your place to not only learn from your peers, but teach them as well. There are times when you’re going to be more of an expert on something than those with multiple degrees. Help them understand, but always in a respectful manner. Pick up Thursday’s issue for our editorial on college students’ addiction to energy drinks.

The Miami Hurricane staff will have our monthly brainstorming session this weekend where we plan out large packaged issues and budget new story ideas. Some features this month include our football recruitment special edition on Feb. 7, our student government special edition on Feb. 11 where we will feature the tickets running this year, our Valentine’s Day special edition on – you guessed it – Feb. 14 and our well-known Best of Miami issue at the end of the month.

I also got the chance to visit the student media suite in the new Student Activities Center. While the ground is still covered in white dirt and the ceiling is exposed, I could easily picture our state-of-the-art newsroom. Next door to us will be Distraction and the Ibis yearbook, and we’re very excited to have our own media suite with our friends.

If you hear of something cool going on around campus and think it’s worthy of our coverage, please let us know. We are open to any and all suggestions. Email me or stop by our office on the second floor of the UC, room 221B.

An Eye on The Hurricane is a blog that features a behind-the-scenes look at the conceptualization and production of the semi-weekly, award-winning newspaper edited by undergraduate students at the University of Miami.

This post was written by Demi Rafuls, the editor-in-chief of The Miami Hurricane. Posts will be contributed by various members of the editorial staff.

Demi Rafuls

Editor-in-Chief

View photos as Miami Hurricanes Coach Jim Morris ends 41-year career on Saturday, May 19, 2018, at M ...

The sullen, charcoal sky opened with a vengeance Saturday afternoon at Mark Light Field in Coral Gab ...

Hurricanes football aficionados: How does another College GameDay at the University of Miami campus ...

Get out your calendars once again, UM football fans. The Atlantic Coast Conference has announced the ...

Lonnie Walker IV, so eager to begin his professional basketball career that he left the University o ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

The final Sea Secrets lecture at the Rosenstiel School examines the biofluorescence of marine organi ...

Maintenance mechanic Milton Davis has kept UM housing humming for decades. ...

No. 7 seed Miami opens its run at the 2018 ACC Baseball Championship Tuesday, May 22 against No. 11 ...

After 25 years, head coach Jim Morris had just one request for the pregame festivities for his final ...

In honor of Jim Morris' final regular season game as head coach at Miami on Saturday, May 19, t ...

Sophomore righthander Evan McKendry struck out 11 to help lead the Hurricanes to their 10thstraight ...

Check out over 60 of the top pictures from the Miami women's tennis team's matchup with to ...