An Eye on the Hurricane: Preparing for February’s issues

With every spring semester the staff as a whole groans at the idea of basketball season. It means late games and even later deadlines. And with our strict 11 p.m. deadline with The Miami Herald, it puts us in a bind. But our long nights in the newsroom are made sweeter when our ancient television tells us that the men’s team beat No.1 ranked Duke, by 27 points no less. We wish the Canes all the luck as they take on Virginia Tech Wednesday. Check out the story at themiamihurricane.com.

Students tend to complain a lot about professors, some of it is justified and some of it is not. Our latest editorial urged students to face professors and stand up when you disagree with their points. University is your place to not only learn from your peers, but teach them as well. There are times when you’re going to be more of an expert on something than those with multiple degrees. Help them understand, but always in a respectful manner. Pick up Thursday’s issue for our editorial on college students’ addiction to energy drinks.

The Miami Hurricane staff will have our monthly brainstorming session this weekend where we plan out large packaged issues and budget new story ideas. Some features this month include our football recruitment special edition on Feb. 7, our student government special edition on Feb. 11 where we will feature the tickets running this year, our Valentine’s Day special edition on – you guessed it – Feb. 14 and our well-known Best of Miami issue at the end of the month.

I also got the chance to visit the student media suite in the new Student Activities Center. While the ground is still covered in white dirt and the ceiling is exposed, I could easily picture our state-of-the-art newsroom. Next door to us will be Distraction and the Ibis yearbook, and we’re very excited to have our own media suite with our friends.

If you hear of something cool going on around campus and think it’s worthy of our coverage, please let us know. We are open to any and all suggestions. Email me or stop by our office on the second floor of the UC, room 221B.

An Eye on The Hurricane is a blog that features a behind-the-scenes look at the conceptualization and production of the semi-weekly, award-winning newspaper edited by undergraduate students at the University of Miami.

This post was written by Demi Rafuls, the editor-in-chief of The Miami Hurricane. Posts will be contributed by various members of the editorial staff.