News Briefs 1/28

Leadership

Leadership Summit will take place from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Feb. 2 in the Wellness Center. The 2013 theme, “Driven,” challenges students to look within themselves and discover their own motivations in life. Campus and community leaders will engage students in meaningful conversations to increase awareness of real-world leadership concepts and develop attendees’ leadership potential. The day will also serve as the New Member Symposium for new members to the UM Greek community.

Survey Tool

A new online survey tool designed to support research, teaching and administrative functions is now available to the UM community free of charge. The Qualtrics Survey Research Suite is available via CaneID. Qualtrics features allow the user to create survey instruments, distribute surveys, store information, analyze collected respondent data and generate reports. To access the new tool, go to miami.edu/qualtrics and select the login button. A UMiami-Qualtrics account will be created for new users. For more information about Qualtrics, visit qualtrics.com.

State of the U

Student Government President Nawara Alawa will give the State of the U Address at 5 p.m. Feb. 6 on the Rock. For the first time since the tradition began, numerous leaders of organizations on campus will speak alongside SG student officials. Students who come to the event will hear the state of affairs, attend a mixer with student leaders, and become aware of events occurring across campus.

Advocacy

An LGBTQ Advocacy panel will be held from 7-9 p.m. Wednesday in UC 245. During the interactive speaker panel, professors and community partners will shed light on the history and current policy on the LGBTQ movement.

Lyssa Goldberg may be contacted at lgoldberg@themiamihurricane.com.

Lyssa Goldberg

Lyssa Goldberg is online editor of The Miami Hurricane. She is a senior majoring in journalism and political science with a minor in math. She has interned at Mashable and the Miami New Times, and her work has also been featured in The Huffington Post.

After jumping three spots from No. 10 to No. 7 last week in the Amway Coaches Poll (one spot better ...

University of Miami weak-side linebacker Michael Pinckney is definitely old-school Miami Hurricane. ...

The question came straight at Ahmmon Richards, like a tight spiral. And this time, he was locked in. ...

Kolby Bird had a career-high 21 kills, but the Hurricanes dropped a five-set battle to Notre Dame on ...

The Miami soccer team recognized its four seniors Sunday afternoon and then dropped a hard-fought 2- ...