Campus Life, News

Supreme Court justice shares journey, struggles

Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor, the first Hispanic and third woman ever appointed to the U.S. Supreme Court, will appear Friday at 6 p.m. at UM’s BankUnited Center for a conversation with President Donna E. Shalala.

Presented in conjunction with local bookstore Books & Books, the event is one of a series of stops on a national tour for Sotomayor’s new memoir, “My Beloved World.”

The book chronicles her path from an unstable childhood in the Bronx to a successful career as a lawyer and federal judge.

“I’m considering going to law school and I want to see how she got to where she is,” said freshman Bernardo Berges, a business major. “I want to hear her life story.”

Appointed in 2009 by President Barack Obama, Sotomayor brings diversity to the bench, which has been one of the hallmarks of her tenure.

Cliff Friedman, a second-year law student, believes Sotomayor’s background as a female Puerto Rican with humble financial beginnings gives her a unique outlook.

“Her perspectives are really interesting,” he said. “A couple of her decisions have caught my attention.”

Tickets are free to students and can be picked up at the UC ticket window between the hours of 8:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. with a valid Cane Card. Distribution began Wednesday on a first-come, first-served basis and will continue until they are gone.

The exact number of student tickets provided has not been disclosed.

Mary Delcamp, a third-year law student, already has her ticket and is thrilled for the opportunity to see Sotomayor.

“I think it’s tremendous that UM can get Supreme Court justices to visit,” she said. “As a law student it makes me feel validated in my education.”

Delcamp hopes to hear about some of the controversial court cases that have cropped up recently, including Citizens United.

She also admires what Sotomayor represents to the nation.

“I appreciate her appointment to the bench and the diversity she brings,” she said.

IF YOU GO:

What: Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor will discuss her book, “My Beloved World”

When: 6 p.m. Friday

Where: BankUnited Center

Tickets are available and free for students at the UC ticket office. 

Rianna Hidalgo

Athlon Sports released its projections for the 2018 college football season Monday. The predictions ...

Here is some impressive news for the University of Miami football program: All but one of the remain ...

Lonnie Walker IV stood out on and off the court at the NBA Draft Combine, which ended on Sunday in C ...

University of Miami incoming prep star Will Mallory, the other half of the soon-to-be No. 1 freshman ...

View photos as Miami Hurricanes Coach Jim Morris ends 41-year career on Saturday, May 19, 2018, at M ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

The final Sea Secrets lecture at the Rosenstiel School examines the biofluorescence of marine organi ...

Maintenance mechanic Milton Davis has kept UM housing humming for decades. ...

Sinead Lohan and Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned ITA Southeast R ...

Sophomore righthander Evan McKendry and freshman Freddy Zamora were among those recognized by the At ...

Senior Jeb Bargfeldt was recognized as ACC Pitcher of the Week following a dominating performance ag ...

No. 7 seed Miami opens its run at the 2018 ACC Baseball Championship Tuesday, May 22 against No. 11 ...

Although 17th-year head coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews has made Sweet 16 appearances commonplace the jour ...