Art, Edge

Avant-garde artist uses glass, light for new medium

A new exhibit featuring  “the first new art medium of the 21st century” is lighting up the University of Miami’s Lowe Art Museum through March 24.

“Stephen Knapp: New Light” is a collection of 12 luminous installations that transform light and glass into colorful pieces that appear to be painted.

The exhibit officially opened on Saturday at the museum on Stanford Drive. Admission is free to UM students, faculty and staff with Cane cards.

Each glass piece is strategically cut and placed to give the museum’s blank walls new meaning.

Visitors can spend time discovering how the reflection of the glass produces different colors and shapes projected on the walls.

Knapp uses light, treated glass and stainless steel mounts to create what he calls “Lightpaintings,” a word coined to describe his light-based installations.

“It is a gift to me, to have found and developed a medium that is so unique, that I can work with everyday and not run out of things to do,”  Knapp said at a Friday night preview of the exhibit.

Knapp, a Massachusetts native, began his career as a fine art photographer, but later realized photography was not enough.

Knapp, who had been fascinated with light all his life, found new beauty in the medium when he discovered new ways of manipulating light with glass.

Lowe Assistant Director Kara Schneiderman said the exhibit is a chance for students to experience truly unusual works of art.

“There’s the physics that goes into the planning of each piece, the engineering it takes to produce the raw materials, and the artistic mastery of getting the light to be the color he wants and form the lines and angles he needs for each installation,” Schneiderman said.

Senior Gabriel Baca said he enjoyed the exhibit.

“I really like the idea of using one light to create colorful images,” he said. “I haven’t seen that before.”

Schneiderman also said the museum has been a fan of Knapp’s work.

“This is the first exhibition we’ve had,” she said. “It was several years in the making and we’re so pleased with the end result of everyone’s hard work to make it happen.”

Schneiderman emphasized the significance of showcasing Knapp’s work.

“For the Lowe, it’s a chance to show the work of an artist who uses glass, but is not a glass artist like those featured in our contemporary glass gallery,” she said.

Knapp has earned an international reputation for large-scale works of art displayed in places such as museums, public, corporate and private collections.

He has solo museum exhibitions at the Boise Art Museum, the Chrysler Museum of Art and the Dayton Art Institute among others.

Knapp said he is just finishing up a 7,000-square-foot studio that was designed exclusively for Lightpaintings.

He plans to expand his craft by introducing text, patterns and symbols to new Lightpaintings.

“I can’t see myself stopping,” Knapp said at the preview. “I love evolution.”

The Lowe Art Museum is hosting Lightpaintings in conjunction with another exhibition showcasing the works of 39 distinct artists around the world.

The exhibit, which is called “Infinite Mirror: Images of American Identity,” will also be on display through March 24.

Elisa Miller

University of Miami running back Mark Walton was rolling — until he got rolled on, or stepped on. Wa ...

University of Miami safety Sheldrick Redwine got to wear the gaudy (but beautiful to Canes and their ...

For those concerned about the apparent on-field struggles of graduate transfer Dee Delaney, an All-A ...

This week’s Top 25 college-affiliated football polls, released Sunday afternoon, agreed on how to ta ...

A few quick thoughts (or second thoughts) after 14th-ranked UM’s 52-30 win against Toledo on Saturda ...

UM students fan out across South Florida to help local neighborhoods rebound from the impacts of Hur ...

Classes resume on the Coral Gables campus after the removal of 4 million pounds of landscape debris. ...

Students living in residential housing are returning to campus and classes with renewed resolve. ...

UM’s student-run ’Canes Emergency Response Team puts their training into action to assist with recov ...

UM students recount how they rode out the storm called Hurricane Irma. ...

Walton rushes for career-high 204 yards and Rosier has four touchdowns in Miami's comeback vict ...

Junior golfer Dewi Weber highlighted second round action for the University of Miami women's go ...

The Miami Hurricanes swimming team wrapped up its opening weekend of competition at the All-Florida ...

The University of Miami volleyball team outlasted Virginia, 3-2, in Atlantic Coast Conference action ...

Sunday, Sinead Lohan became the first person in Miami women's tennis history to win the singles ...