Blogs

Inebriation and Gluttony: Insanity and P90X…Worth It?

I’ve been getting a lot of feedback from these crazy workouts and decided that the best way to understand them is to do them. I ordered Insanity over the winter break and starting this past Monday, I’ve been tearing all of the muscles in my body repeatedly so that I can’t even discern hunger from soreness. Throughout the semester I’ll update my progress and my thoughts, but for this post I wanted to talk about the science behind the two crazy workouts.

Let’s first break down the two workouts into what they essentially are. Insanity focuses on reverse interval training, so instead of intense cardiovascular activity (things that make your heart rate skyrocket) for 30 seconds and resting activities for 3 minutes, you get 3 minutes of intense cardio and 30 seconds of rest…for about 30-40 minutes. This is so that you can achieve ridiculous results in the 60 days the program promises. There is also a diet plan attached which you are expected to follow to achieve the full results. P90X, otherwise known as Power 90 Extreme (lame name, I know) combines cross training with periodization (to never hit a plateau) on top of a diet plan, and this program lasts for 90 days.

So which one is the better choice? They are both roughly the same price and according to some friends of mine, they do the job whether or not you adhere to their regimen strictly. All in all, if you want a better fat burning experience, go with Insanity. If you want a better overall experience, such as muscle building, suggested diets on top of fat burning, P90X seems to be the better option. I personally went for insanity because my boss did it, had amazing results and it’s roughly 2 months, and I’m not the most patient when it comes to destroying my body.

Now let’s move on to a little background info about me, the guinea pig. I was an athlete in high school (varsity tennis and swimming) but once I hit college, being on the pre-med track and already being used to eating too many calories a day from sports made me a lot softer than what I used to be at my prime. Now, I don’t expect to lose 30-40 pounds because that is dangerous for someone of my stature but I will be measuring my waist and weight as the program proceeds. Normally, I would eat about 1500-2000 calories a day if I am mindful and I do moderate exercise, which includes going to class, walking up the stairs, a few intramurals here and there, and the boxing club twice a week (which will totally kick your ass by the way while making you feel tough, I definitely recommend). All in all, I am not super fit but I am not a couch potato.

Wish me luck as I undergo the next few months with this program to truly test out its potential. I will post before and after pictures once this is all over.

Catherine Wong is a senior studying Microbiology and Immunology born and raised in Fort Lauderdale. After growing up in the restaurant business as well as being an avid watcher of the travel channel and food network, she would like to share her love of gastronomy to the average broke college student. Her hobbies/interests include books, music, and of course, food.

Inebriation and Gluttony is about making smart food choices within the boundaries of a college student, like transforming that sad microwave ramen or taking advantage of cheap local fare, all while not breaking the bank and not busting your gut. Join the foodie movement and get cultured, learn some cool things about food, and most importantly practice gluttony at its full potential. 

Catherine Wong

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Inebriation and Gluttony: Insanity and P90X…Worth It?”

1. Paul B says:

Good luck! For added variety you can also swap out some of the P90X Cardio (Plyo, Kenpo) for Insanity routines. There’s tons of hybrid options out there and Beachbody actually has a schedule for it as well!

The University of Miami celebrated on Thursday night with an NFL Draft first-round pick for the thir ...

When Al Golden recruited David Njoku to the University of Miami in 2014 the Cedar Grove, N.J. native ...

The night after FIU gave away a game to the University of Miami with a ninth-inning passed ball that ...

Redshirt freshman quarterback Jack Allison left the University of Miami football program on Tuesday. ...

Closer Frankie Bartow stared into the Panthers’ dugout immediately after fanning the final batter of ...

UM marks Holocaust Remembrance Day with a reading of names and recollections of a survivor. ...

A recent paper argues that not only have researchers just scratched the surface of analyzing the Ama ...

The period of the first 100 days in office is a telling gauge for a president's full term in th ...

UM students, staff and faculty join the worldwide march to end men’s violence against women. ...

Greek Week at the University of Miami is committed to raising money and awareness for United Cerebra ...

Check out some of the best photos from the Miami women's tennis team's 4-0 victory against ...

Images from @CanesMensTennis match against Duke. ...

The fourth-seeded Miami women's tennis team will make its ninth appearance in the ACC Champions ...

The fourth-seeded Miami women's tennis team defeated No. 12-seed Boston College, 4-0, Friday af ...

The University of Miami track and field team closed out the 2017 outdoor track and field regular sea ...