Edge, Movies

The next big blockbusters: 2013 movie preview

This year promises to be full of highly anticipated releases, ranging from familiar sequels to groundbreaking originals. To help you navigate through the crowded listings, here are some of our picks for the movies you should keep an eye out for in 2013.

“Only God Forgives”

March 28

Director Nicolas Winding Refn follows up his critically acclaimed “Drive” (2011) with another film starring Ryan Gosling. The story follows a gangster exiled to Thailand who seeks revenge against a Bangkok police lieutenant, likely sticking with the stylized violence that made “Drive” so successful.

“The Place Beyond the Pines”

March 29

Ryan Gosling and Bradley Cooper star in this powerful crime drama (also featuring University of Miami’s own Ray Liotta). Directed by Derek Cianfrance (“Blue Valentine”), the film is about a motorcycle stunt rider who takes to robbing banks as a way of providing for his newborn son, putting him at odds with a young cop and his corrupt police department. This looks to be an emotionally compelling story and a nice step in the evolution of Cooper’s booming career. 

“The Great Gatsby”

May 10

Baz Luhrmann’s adaptation of the 1925 novel will star Leonardo DiCaprio and Tobey Maguire. Originally scheduled to premiere Christmas Day, the film was pushed back due to what was probably a conflict with “Django Unchained,” another DiCaprio film. The trailer suggests a modernized feel that might deviate from the novel, but Luhrmann’s vision will certainly put a unique perspective on this classic story.

“The Hangover Part III”

May 24

The final installment of Todd Phillips’ series will see a return of the main, original cast members. Plot details are sparse, but the film is said to involve some type of road trip undertaken by the wolfpack. Although “Part II” showed a disappointing lack of originality, it will be hard to miss the finale of a franchise that has become so engrained in American pop culture.

“This is the End”

June 14

A dense cast of comedy all-stars play themselves in this story about a group of celebrities who must survive a sudden apocalypse while at a party at James Franco’s house. Other actors include Seth Rogen, Danny McBride, Jason Segel and many more. Rogen co-wrote and directed with Evan Goldberg, the team behind “Superbad” and “Pineapple Express.”

“Man of Steel”

June 14

This reboot of the “Superman” franchise will star Henry Cavill, Russell Crowe and Amy Adams. The film appears to portray Clark Kent in a darker and more humanistic tone than previous installments, which could be a compelling approach that makes this stand out from the assembly line of other superhero flicks.

“Anchorman: The Legend Continues”

Dec. 20

This highly anticipated sequel to the 2004 hit comedy will see the entire original cast returning (Will Ferrell, Steve Carell, Paul Rudd, etc.), as well as a rumored appearance by Kristen Wiig. With only a teaser trailer released so far, the subject of the film is still largely a mystery, but for true fans of the original, it might not really matter.

“The Wolf of Wall Street”

TBD 2013

With a familiar pairing of director Martin Scorsese and actor Leonardo DiCaprio (“The Departed,” “Shutter Island,” etc.), this film is an adaptation of Jordan Belfort’s memoir of the same name. DiCaprio stars as a ruthless stockbroker whose outrageous success of the ‘90s is mired by charges of security fraud and money laundering. Actor Jonah Hill will also play a major role, an interesting departure from his usual comedic tendencies.

Trevor Maxim

The Hurricanes have become part of college football’s national conversation, and the more wins they ...

Kicker Michael Badgley will soon become the University of Miami’s all-time field goal leader. In the ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt called Darrell Langham’s amazing, 28-yard catch on fourth-and-1 ...

Darrell Langham is 6-4, but might as well be 8-4 — that’s how much he has grown in stature for the M ...

The Miami Hurricanes have done it again. For the second week in a row, the Canes rallied to win in t ...

Hurricanes legends Michael Irvin, Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Warren Sapp and Sean Taylor were officially ad ...

University of Miami wide receiver Darrell Langham and kicker Michael Badgley were among those recogn ...

University of Miami redshirt setter Haley Templeton was named ACC Player of the Week, the conference ...

Freshman Bojan Jankulovski highlighted Day 2 competition on Saturday for the University of Miami men ...

The University of Miami's football game at North Carolina on Oct. 28 will kick off at noon ET o ...