Edge, Movies

The next big blockbusters: 2013 movie preview

This year promises to be full of highly anticipated releases, ranging from familiar sequels to groundbreaking originals. To help you navigate through the crowded listings, here are some of our picks for the movies you should keep an eye out for in 2013.

“Only God Forgives”

March 28

Director Nicolas Winding Refn follows up his critically acclaimed “Drive” (2011) with another film starring Ryan Gosling. The story follows a gangster exiled to Thailand who seeks revenge against a Bangkok police lieutenant, likely sticking with the stylized violence that made “Drive” so successful.

“The Place Beyond the Pines”

March 29

Ryan Gosling and Bradley Cooper star in this powerful crime drama (also featuring University of Miami’s own Ray Liotta). Directed by Derek Cianfrance (“Blue Valentine”), the film is about a motorcycle stunt rider who takes to robbing banks as a way of providing for his newborn son, putting him at odds with a young cop and his corrupt police department. This looks to be an emotionally compelling story and a nice step in the evolution of Cooper’s booming career. 

“The Great Gatsby”

May 10

Baz Luhrmann’s adaptation of the 1925 novel will star Leonardo DiCaprio and Tobey Maguire. Originally scheduled to premiere Christmas Day, the film was pushed back due to what was probably a conflict with “Django Unchained,” another DiCaprio film. The trailer suggests a modernized feel that might deviate from the novel, but Luhrmann’s vision will certainly put a unique perspective on this classic story.

“The Hangover Part III”

May 24

The final installment of Todd Phillips’ series will see a return of the main, original cast members. Plot details are sparse, but the film is said to involve some type of road trip undertaken by the wolfpack. Although “Part II” showed a disappointing lack of originality, it will be hard to miss the finale of a franchise that has become so engrained in American pop culture.

“This is the End”

June 14

A dense cast of comedy all-stars play themselves in this story about a group of celebrities who must survive a sudden apocalypse while at a party at James Franco’s house. Other actors include Seth Rogen, Danny McBride, Jason Segel and many more. Rogen co-wrote and directed with Evan Goldberg, the team behind “Superbad” and “Pineapple Express.”

“Man of Steel”

June 14

This reboot of the “Superman” franchise will star Henry Cavill, Russell Crowe and Amy Adams. The film appears to portray Clark Kent in a darker and more humanistic tone than previous installments, which could be a compelling approach that makes this stand out from the assembly line of other superhero flicks.

“Anchorman: The Legend Continues”

Dec. 20

This highly anticipated sequel to the 2004 hit comedy will see the entire original cast returning (Will Ferrell, Steve Carell, Paul Rudd, etc.), as well as a rumored appearance by Kristen Wiig. With only a teaser trailer released so far, the subject of the film is still largely a mystery, but for true fans of the original, it might not really matter.

“The Wolf of Wall Street”

TBD 2013

With a familiar pairing of director Martin Scorsese and actor Leonardo DiCaprio (“The Departed,” “Shutter Island,” etc.), this film is an adaptation of Jordan Belfort’s memoir of the same name. DiCaprio stars as a ruthless stockbroker whose outrageous success of the ‘90s is mired by charges of security fraud and money laundering. Actor Jonah Hill will also play a major role, an interesting departure from his usual comedic tendencies.

Trevor Maxim

Friday’s NFL drought became Saturday’s downpour for the University of Miami. Eight Miami Hurricanes ...

Cornerback Corn Elder’s career highlight is a play that will forever be ingrained in college footbal ...

Safety Rayshawn Jenkins is now a Los Angeles Charger. Jenkins, who grew up in St. Petersburg, became ...

The University of Miami celebrated on Thursday night with an NFL Draft first-round pick for the thir ...

When Al Golden recruited David Njoku to the University of Miami in 2014 the Cedar Grove, N.J. native ...

UM marks Holocaust Remembrance Day with a reading of names and recollections of a survivor. ...

A recent paper argues that not only have researchers just scratched the surface of analyzing the Ama ...

The period of the first 100 days in office is a telling gauge for a president's full term in th ...

UM students, staff and faculty join the worldwide march to end men’s violence against women. ...

Greek Week at the University of Miami is committed to raising money and awareness for United Cerebra ...

The University of Miami football program had nine former players selected in the 2017 NFL Draft in P ...

Miami Hurricanes fullback Marquez Williams was selected with the 240th overall pick by the Jacksonvi ...

Miami Hurricanes cornerback Adrian Colbert was selected with the 229th overall pick by the San Franc ...

Miami Hurricanes wide receiver Stacy Coley was selected with the 219th overall pick by the Minnesota ...

Miami Hurricanes quarterback Brad Kaaya was selected with the 215th overall pick by the Detroit Lion ...