Republicans: Listen to Beyonce, move to the left

When Beyonce isn’t busy lip-syncing the national anthem, she’s actually proclaiming words of wisdom.

Like her hit song “Irreplaceable” recommends, Republicans should scoot a bit over to the left.  To make strides, the Republican Party should listen to Queen B: “To the left, to the left, everything you own in the box to the left…”

So, Republicans, collect all your socially conservative views, put them in a box, and move to the left. Seriously. If you want to make some moves, stop being so stiff about immigration. Or gay rights. Or abortion. And loosen the grip on your guns. I know it’s a lot to ask, but at least consider it.

In order to make conservative progress in the economic arena, Republicans need to embrace social policies that lean more to the left. We are living in the 21st century. Realize that some men love other men. Understand that women need more access to birth control, because sometimes condoms aren’t enough. I mean, you don’t want to end up overpopulated like China, right?

The GOP needs a revamp. A makeover. A fresh face. And no, the Tea Party was certainly not the change I had in mind.

As a college student, I’m torn. I don’t believe in either party’s views at the moment, despite the inspiring presidential inauguration that took place Monday. Sure, we’ve come a long way since the days of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., but we still have a long way to go.

I’m socially liberal, and fiscally conservative. My problem is not that I don’t believe in any form of government regulation, it’s that I can’t believe in Congress’ inability to compromise.

Meet somewhere in the middle, guys.

I was raised by conservative Cuban parents. On the day I passed my driver’s license test, I registered to vote as a member of the Republican Party. I even worked for a Republican Congresswoman one summer.

Surely, there are some conservative values I’m sure many young Americans like myself will always hold close to heart. Americans shouldn’t depend on government aid in order to attain the American Dream. If you want to reach a goal, work hard for it. Don’t make excuses for your inability to succeed.

I mean, it’s not like Canada is known for its fabulous work ethic with its socialist policies.

We became the great United States because we sweat to succeed. Don’t depend on Uncle Sam to help you climb the corporate ladder.

Still, the GOP is in desperate need of an update. Listen to Beyonce; move a bit to the left.

Stephanie Parra is a junior majoring in journalism and political science.

Stephanie Parra

Editor-in-chief

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Republicans: Listen to Beyonce, move to the left”

1. Fabiana B. says:

“I was raised by conservative Cuban parents…Surely, there are some conservative values I’m sure many young Americans like myself will always hold close to heart. Americans shouldn’t depend on government aid in order to attain the American Dream. If you want to reach a goal, work hard for it. Don’t make excuses for your inability to succeed. I mean, it’s not like Canada is known for its fabulous work ethic with its socialist policies.”

Republicans definitely need to change some of their social views, but the idea that you are propagating must also be changed! People who are forced to use government aid are not lazy; many are working hard, and they are trying to survive long enough with government aid to get to a point where they are stable enough to not need it.
    I know that a lot of people put emphasis on the social issues, but for me, it is the Republican view entitlements and their economical ideology that turns me off.
    Many people who are successful now previously used social security, medicaid, food stamps and many other government resources to get them through a tough time. Without the help that they got, they would be in a worse situation as they floundered in debt or hunger or some other awful situation.
    Clearly there are people use these resources more than others but I believe that this says more about the economic policies in the US than about the work ethic of poor Americans. They are working multiple part time jobs because the companies they work for would rather hire part time to cut costs than to hire full time workers and have to provide benefits. This helps to keep people who are poor in poverty. And because of business practices in the US, this method is not something that can be prevented by the government or anyone else; business can ruin people’s lives and it is considered “good business practice.”
    So yes, Republicans must evolve or compromise on social issues, but until they start respecting everyone in the US, the people who are successful and the people who are struggling to make it, they will continue to lose elections. And they should.

The Hurricanes have become part of college football’s national conversation, and the more wins they ...

Kicker Michael Badgley will soon become the University of Miami’s all-time field goal leader. In the ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt called Darrell Langham’s amazing, 28-yard catch on fourth-and-1 ...

Darrell Langham is 6-4, but might as well be 8-4 — that’s how much he has grown in stature for the M ...

The Miami Hurricanes have done it again. For the second week in a row, the Canes rallied to win in t ...

Hurricanes legends Michael Irvin, Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Warren Sapp and Sean Taylor were officially ad ...

University of Miami wide receiver Darrell Langham and kicker Michael Badgley were among those recogn ...

University of Miami redshirt setter Haley Templeton was named ACC Player of the Week, the conference ...

Freshman Bojan Jankulovski highlighted Day 2 competition on Saturday for the University of Miami men ...

The University of Miami's football game at North Carolina on Oct. 28 will kick off at noon ET o ...