Bowl ban dampens Cane pride

The only way to salvage the long, excruciating 90-degree Miami winter, is to have the University of Miami beat down some hopeless team in a bowl game. Yeah right.

UM’s administration put a bowl ban on the football team for the second year in a row. So instead of cheering on the green and orange to victory, the most excitement Canes fans had this bowl season was watching the Gators lose in the Sugar Bowl, which was actually pretty satisfying.

It isn’t like Miami had an amazing team this year, but I would have rather become a couch bum and watched them have a chance to win the Beef ‘O’ Brady’s Bowl rather than go to Santa’s Enchanted Forrest for the 18th time. It’s not that I don’t like that ghetto North Pole, it’s just that I feel like I will either die from falling off a ride, or die from a disease I catch from not wiping off the seat of the ferris wheel before I sit down.

If the U didn’t ban themselves from the postseason they would have had a shot at the ACC Championship and even a BCS Bowl berth. Instead, all South Florida and Miami fans are forced to hear about how great it is that Alabama and Notre Dame played for a title in our backyard. As much as I love Nick Satan … I mean Saban, there’s a part of me that wishes I didn’t have to type in “2002 National Championship” on YouTube to see the Hurricanes in a big game.

But, I can’t complain that much. I would take the sunny beaches of South Florida over the frozen wasteland of Indiana and the tumbleweeds of Alabama any day. That may be a little overdramatized. I haven’t been to either of those places. By now, this must sound like an obnoxious fan whose team doesn’t have anything worth bragging about in the past 10 years – so basically a Notre Dame fan before this season.

So while I watched the Little Caesars Bowl game between two colleges that have a total combined enrollment of 800 students, I hoped for next season. In just one year, all of Al Golden’s ties will be freshly dry-cleaned, and hopefully the 60-year-old Ray Lewis will inspire the team to play like the old days.

There is hope for Hurricane football in 2013, but for now I’ll just sit here with my spiked eggnog and relive the glory days. There is a good chance Larry Coker and Ken Dorsey are doing the same thing.

Kyle Rambo is a junior majoring in math education.

About Author

Kyle Rambo

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Bowl ban dampens Cane pride”

1. Jon says:

I completely disagree with your analysis of the bowl ban. Yes, we would have played in the ACC championship and may have gone on to a significant bowl game. But have you taken a look at our team for this upcoming season? Have you read up on the new recruits? Have you seen our schedule? We have a chance to have an extremely good season next year. If we hadn’t imposed the ban this past season, we probably would not be going to a bowl game next season, and the possibility of going to a huge bowl game next season is a lot higher than it would’ve been this year. Does it suck? Yes. But it was definitely the right move.

The University of Miami quarterback corps is deep in numbers but shallow in experience. The battle c ...

Freshmen anyone? Mark Richt sounds like he’s liking these three early-enrollee true freshmen a whole ...

The University of Miami completed Day Three of spring football on Saturday, and as soon as practice ...

Myron Rolle is ready to take his game from the football field to the operating table. Those precious ...

University of Miami middle linebacker Shaquille Quarterman’s ultimate goal has always been the same: ...

A conversation with Belén Garijo and Felicia Marie Knaul. ...

Nova Southeastern University’s Jacqueline A. Travisano will be UM’s Executive Vice President for Bus ...

U.S. Trust will provide advisory services for UM’s long-term growth portfolio. ...

Sir James Galway, Distinguished Presidential Scholar, inspires flute students with his artistry and ...

Activist and community organizer Alicia Garza stresses the need for a richness of ideas to help solv ...

Miami redshirt freshman David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men's 10-meter ...

The University of Miami track and field program shined in a talented field at the Hurricane Collegia ...

Here's a daily look at what is taking place at Greentree ...

Miami tied for the most hits No. 8 North Carolina has allowed all season, but fell to the host Tar H ...

Miami travels to Louisville, Ky., Sunday at noon to face No. 34 Louisville at the Bass-Rudd Tennis C ...