Blogs

An Eye on The Hurricane: Kicking off the semester

The start of the semester constantly brings about a new long list of ideas. Some of them make it through, some of them are forgotten and lost. I am new to the editor-in-chief position this semester, and as per tradition, I have a long list of ideas and plans to get done. From our Specs cover infographic to my first news (and cover) story for the paper, we’re off to a running start.

This semester, expect to have our annual Best of Miami issue on the racks much sooner than usual. We hope this will allow you to hit up all those fabulous bars and restaurants around Miami before the year ends. Also expect a greater, regular stream of online content with our new online editor position. As always, our Facebook and Twitter are an open forum for you to sound off and communicate with us.

After years of a negative shadow cast over the Hurricane football team, the investigations by the NCAA have been put on hold. Members of the organization are now turning their sights on their own staff for conduct. Check themiamihurricane.com for more information on the sanctions.

On Wednesday night, it’s the big men’s basketball game against Duke and Thursday night our women’s basketball team takes on Wake Forest at North Carolina, but you can catch them again at home on Sunday when they play against North Carolina. Review the results of these conference games in our next two issues.

Also check out our issue on Thursday for our staff editorial on President Obama’s statement about gay rights in his inaugural address. Our last editorial dealt with Gov. Rick Scott’s plan to freeze tuition for science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) majors, but would allow humanities and other major’s tuition to rise. Luckily this will not affect UM and our stance – much in accord with UM faculty and administration – is that you should follow your passion. College is the time to grow and learn and face new challenges – money shouldn’t dictate that.

We expect this to be a strong semester and we’re very excited. We work hard to bring you campus and community news first, but if you have any tips or ideas, feel free to email me or stop by our office, UC room 221B.

An Eye on The Hurricane is a blog that features a behind-the-scenes look at the conceptualization and production of the semi-weekly, award-winning newspaper edited by undergraduate students at the University of Miami.

This post was written by Demi Rafuls, the editor-in-chief of The Miami Hurricane. Posts will be contributed by various members of the editorial staff.

Demi Rafuls

Editor-in-Chief

Daniela Deu was drawn to both architecture and urbanism, believes architecture can change communitie ...

Canes Basketball player development assistant will graduate with MSED in Sport Administation. ...

UOnline graduate will earn his M.S. in Health Informatics ...

Two Hurricanes receive AVCA All-America recognition for first time since 2014. ...

Coming off its first top-25 victory of the year, the Miami women's basketball team will play it ...