United Black Students organizes annual celebration for MLK Day

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.will be honored on campus with an annual celebration coordinated by United Black Students (UBS). This year is all about fresh perspective.

The theme for 2013 week of festivities,“The Mountain Top,” will not only be a celebration of Dr. King, but also a chance for UBS to showcase its growth as an organization, demonstrate what it stands for, and maintain the tradition behind MLK week.

“MLK is always about his birthday, but this year we’re going beyond that,” UBS president Tiffany Ford said.

The Mountain Top will be going deeper into King’s legacy. While most are familiar with his “I Have A Dream” speech, the celebration will bring to light his lesser-known “I’ve Been to the Mountain Top” speech. When he delivered that piece in April 1968, King claimed to have reached his peak and seen the Promised Land.

“He knows he might not reach and be able to see the prosperity, so he reminds people to lay the foundation for others,” said Ajiah Daley, first vice president of UBS and chair of MLK week. “This is a chance for people to get a renewed view of MLK.”

The UM community can look forward to a week filled with events aimed at shifting perspective.

“Students should really look forward to UNLearn: The Narrative,” Daley said. “A lot of people are mistaken. For example, Rosa Parks didn’t just decide to stay on the bus. She was chosen, she knew what she was doing and the movement that was being started.”

MLK week will kick off with an opening ceremony to bring the student body together and share in the history of MLK beyond racial boundaries.

Daley will present a speech to explain “The Mountain Top” theme and show a video montage of past events. Brian Blake, dean of graduate students, is also scheduled to speak at the opening ceremony on Tuesday at Shoma Hall in the School of Communication’s International Building.

“My favorite part of MLK has always been the opening ceremony,” Ford said. “It really unites students and gets people excited for the events. It shows what it’s all about.”

Amanda Pena

When Al Golden recruited David Njoku to the University of Miami in 2014 the Cedar Grove, N.J. native ...

The night after FIU gave away a game to the University of Miami with a ninth-inning passed ball that ...

Redshirt freshman quarterback Jack Allison left the University of Miami football program on Tuesday. ...

Closer Frankie Bartow stared into the Panthers’ dugout immediately after fanning the final batter of ...

Go ahead. Try telling former University of Miami quarterback Brad Kaaya that his critics say he gets ...

UM marks Holocaust Remembrance Day with a reading of names and recollections of a survivor. ...

A recent paper argues that not only have researchers just scratched the surface of analyzing the Ama ...

The period of the first 100 days in office is a telling gauge for a president's full term in th ...

UM students, staff and faculty join the worldwide march to end men’s violence against women. ...

Greek Week at the University of Miami is committed to raising money and awareness for United Cerebra ...

Images from @CanesMensTennis match against Duke. ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team came up short against No. 34 Duke University, 4-1, Th ...

Images from @CanesMensTennis win over Boston College. ...

Sinead Lohan and Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team were both among the ni ...

The fourth-seeded Miami women's tennis team is set to open ACC Championship play Friday afterno ...