Edge, Music, Reviews

Singer-songwriter Megan Cox shines on debut album

If I had to describe Megan Cox’s album “W” in one word, it would have to be organic. The arrangements and lyrics are complex yet it doesn’t seem like Cox is trying too hard. None of the tracks on the album feel forced; it all flows. Plus, it’s been a while since I heard great lyrics.

Cox truly delivers on her debut album. The music and lyrics – done by Cox herself – are flawless. Think Fiona Apple and Marie Digby. It’s one of those rare albums that you can listen to all the way through.

Of course, some tracks shine through more than others. “W” opens with “Knee Deep (an epilogue),” one of the strongest tracks on the album.

Another song that shines on the record is “Circle.” The strings, the piano, the crescendo of the percussion … it all provides a solid foundation for Cox’s voice. “Simple math, this path in the woods ain’t one/Unkempt, less traveled, threadbare, unraveled, undone,” she sings.

“A Pair of Shoes and a Mind” is one of the more up-tempo tracks on “W.” She tells listeners that they “can get anywhere if you got the time/all you need is a pair of shoes and a mind.” It’s worth the listen, but the next track, “Knight,” outshines it. The mood that the strings and percussion set in “Knight” is unparalleled on the rest of the album. It’s probably the best track on “W.”

She closes the album with “Don’t Wanna Be Loved (By You),” which showcases her strong vocals more than any other track on the album. After listening through the entire album, this song is the one that gets to me. It highlights the fact that the music that gets plays on the radio is overproduced. Music should involve meaningful lyrics and a powerful arrangement. It should be organic and made with instruments, not a computer. Cox’s music shows a maturity that popular songs like T-Swift’s “We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together” just don’t have.

Her sound is interesting – maybe experimental is a better word. Cox is not scared to venture out of the safe zone that most artists get trapped in. Not many musicians today can say they use violins, cellos, vibraphones and banjos in their music. It’s different and fresh. And more importantly, it works.

About Author

Nicky Diaz Copy Chief

Just one glance at Brad Kaaya throwing passes Tuesday after the University of Miami’s first spring f ...

Senior guards Adrienne Motley and Jessica Thomas sat slumped over on the Watsco Center floor late Mo ...

Spring has sprung for the University of Miami football program. Practice, closed to the public, had ...

View photos of the first day of Miami Hurricanes spring football practice on Tues., March 22, 2017 … ...

News and views from the first day of UM football spring practice: • Found it interesting that when M ...

Sir James Galway, Distinguished Presidential Scholar, inspires flute students with his artistry and ...

Activist and community organizer Alicia Garza stresses the need for a richness of ideas to help solv ...

UM physicist studies the unexpected consequences of sub-second delays on fast-moving data systems ...

The world renown flautist joins the Frost School of Music ...

A fluid multi-platform exhibition examines the impacts of climate change through art, research, medi ...

At the Net with Jesse Flores ...

At the Net with... ...

Kristina Fisher of the Miami soccer team has been selected to participate in an upcoming U.S. U-23 W ...

Freshman Greg Veliz put together another strong midweek outing as the Hurricanes beat FAU 7-5. ...

Junior Piotr Lomacki represents the Canes in the ITA singles rankings, released Tuesday, at No. 73. ...