Community, News

Dan Marino WalkAbout benefits local charities

Participants of Saturday’s WalkAbout Autism will walk through the team tunnel at Sun Life Stadium with Dan Marino, former Miami Dolphins quarterback, to benefit organizations in South Florida.

Schools, groups and individuals in the South Florida community will congregate at Sun Life Stadium from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday to raise money and awareness for autism – a disease that affects one in 88 children.

The Dan Marino Foundation (DMF) – along with the University of Miami-Nova Southeastern University Center for Autism and Related Disabilities (UM-NSU CARD) and the Autism Society of America chapters in Broward and Miami-Dade counties – organize, execute and benefit from the WalkAbout.

The walk was inspired by leading advocacy agencies that desired to raise money for local programs and services, according to Dr. Michael Alessandri, the executive director of UM-NSU CARD.

“It is always very gratifying to see so many families come out to celebrate autism awareness and raise funds for needy organizations,” he said. “Having the event at Sun Life Stadium is also very exciting because our families can walk on the field and enjoy the stadium from a different perspective than usual.”

Clinical staff at UM-NSU CARD work out of the Flipse building to offer support to patients with autism and autistic-like diseases, along with their families. Their services include family support, technical assistance and consultation, parent and professional training programs, and public education activities, according to the Center’s website.

Schools that participate receive 25 percent of the funds they raise for their own special needs programs, according to Amanda Murray, a spokesperson for UM-NSU CARD.

“As budgets continue to get cut further and further across the state of Florida, this really helps to give back to the needs of each school,” she said.

As of Friday, 124 schools were registered and helping to reach the walk’s overall goal of $500,000. Another registered team was the brothers of UM’s Beta Theta Pi fraternity.

The fraternity has fundraised for autism since its inception in 2006 and has worked closely with the DMF since 2010 when the WalkAbout was first established.

“Autism isn’t the national Beta cause. It’s something that we chose to do ourselves,” said junior Kyle Dungca, who serves as Beta’s co-PR chair. “We saw that it wasn’t on campus and we wanted to address that somehow.”

The WalkAbout Autism is one of many philanthropy events put on by the fraternity that stresses the importance of giving back to the local community, according to junior Troy Gulec, Beta’s social chair.

“It’s in this community, and that’s what I think all of us should do philanthropy-wise: support local Miami,” he said.

If You Go

What: WalkAbout Autism

Where: Sun Life Stadium, 2269 NW 199th St., Miami Gardens

When: 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday

Students who wish to participate in or donate to the WalkAbout as a member of the UM Team, which benefits the UM-NSU CARD, should visit support.danmarinofoundationorg/goto/UMWalkAbout2013.

Jordan Coyne

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Dan Marino WalkAbout benefits local charities”

1. Lovemy-aspikid says:

Please kindly do your research about autism before writing about it. It is a disorder not a disease. As defined by the National Institute of Mental Health: Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD), also known as Pervasive Developmental Disorders (PDDs), cause severe and pervasive impairment in thinking, feeling, language, and the ability to relate to others. These disorders are usually first diagnosed in early childhood and range from a severe form, called autistic disorder, through pervasive development disorder not otherwise specified (PDD-NOS), to a much milder form, Asperger syndrome. They also include two rare disorders, Rett syndrome and childhood disintegrative disorder.

ASD is a genetic disorder… It’s not disease that is transmitted or aqcuired. With my little medical knowledge, I know the terms sometimes are used interchangeably but they shouldn’t. Anyways, good article minus the disease part.

It was midweek when Miami leading receiver Braxton Berrios wistfully spoke of his four years as a Hu ...

Eli Rosier will be back where he belongs Saturday, where he feels most at home. He will be at a foot ...

The 11th-ranked University of Miami men’s basketball team remained undefeated with a 90-59 victory o ...

They remain undefeated — but still untested. The 11th-ranked University of Miami men’s basketball te ...

It has inspired T-shirts and a Migos-style hype song. Soon, fans will have a beer brewed in honor of ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

A cohort of five religious leaders from Miami, including a rabbi and imam from the University of Mia ...

Hollywood actress and star of the hit BET series Being Mary Jane gets real about gender, race and co ...

The annual development agreement meeting is a time for the city and University to share information ...

Here are three matchups to watch in Saturday's Senior Day game between the No. 3 Canes and Virg ...

The University of Miami volleyball team produced some late-match magic Friday night to outlast an in ...

Miami's seniors will play their final home game at Hard Rock Stadium when the Canes face Virgin ...

Six Hurricanes were in double figures as the Hurricanes improved to 3-0 on the season. ...

The University of Miami rowing team introduced the newest members of the Hurricanes rowing program o ...