Community, News

Dan Marino WalkAbout benefits local charities

Participants of Saturday’s WalkAbout Autism will walk through the team tunnel at Sun Life Stadium with Dan Marino, former Miami Dolphins quarterback, to benefit organizations in South Florida.

Schools, groups and individuals in the South Florida community will congregate at Sun Life Stadium from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday to raise money and awareness for autism – a disease that affects one in 88 children.

The Dan Marino Foundation (DMF) – along with the University of Miami-Nova Southeastern University Center for Autism and Related Disabilities (UM-NSU CARD) and the Autism Society of America chapters in Broward and Miami-Dade counties – organize, execute and benefit from the WalkAbout.

The walk was inspired by leading advocacy agencies that desired to raise money for local programs and services, according to Dr. Michael Alessandri, the executive director of UM-NSU CARD.

“It is always very gratifying to see so many families come out to celebrate autism awareness and raise funds for needy organizations,” he said. “Having the event at Sun Life Stadium is also very exciting because our families can walk on the field and enjoy the stadium from a different perspective than usual.”

Clinical staff at UM-NSU CARD work out of the Flipse building to offer support to patients with autism and autistic-like diseases, along with their families. Their services include family support, technical assistance and consultation, parent and professional training programs, and public education activities, according to the Center’s website.

Schools that participate receive 25 percent of the funds they raise for their own special needs programs, according to Amanda Murray, a spokesperson for UM-NSU CARD.

“As budgets continue to get cut further and further across the state of Florida, this really helps to give back to the needs of each school,” she said.

As of Friday, 124 schools were registered and helping to reach the walk’s overall goal of $500,000. Another registered team was the brothers of UM’s Beta Theta Pi fraternity.

The fraternity has fundraised for autism since its inception in 2006 and has worked closely with the DMF since 2010 when the WalkAbout was first established.

“Autism isn’t the national Beta cause. It’s something that we chose to do ourselves,” said junior Kyle Dungca, who serves as Beta’s co-PR chair. “We saw that it wasn’t on campus and we wanted to address that somehow.”

The WalkAbout Autism is one of many philanthropy events put on by the fraternity that stresses the importance of giving back to the local community, according to junior Troy Gulec, Beta’s social chair.

“It’s in this community, and that’s what I think all of us should do philanthropy-wise: support local Miami,” he said.

If You Go

What: WalkAbout Autism

Where: Sun Life Stadium, 2269 NW 199th St., Miami Gardens

When: 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday

Students who wish to participate in or donate to the WalkAbout as a member of the UM Team, which benefits the UM-NSU CARD, should visit support.danmarinofoundationorg/goto/UMWalkAbout2013.

About Author

Jordan Coyne

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Dan Marino WalkAbout benefits local charities”

1. Lovemy-aspikid says:

Please kindly do your research about autism before writing about it. It is a disorder not a disease. As defined by the National Institute of Mental Health: Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD), also known as Pervasive Developmental Disorders (PDDs), cause severe and pervasive impairment in thinking, feeling, language, and the ability to relate to others. These disorders are usually first diagnosed in early childhood and range from a severe form, called autistic disorder, through pervasive development disorder not otherwise specified (PDD-NOS), to a much milder form, Asperger syndrome. They also include two rare disorders, Rett syndrome and childhood disintegrative disorder.

ASD is a genetic disorder… It’s not disease that is transmitted or aqcuired. With my little medical knowledge, I know the terms sometimes are used interchangeably but they shouldn’t. Anyways, good article minus the disease part.

University of Miami middle linebacker Shaquille Quarterman’s ultimate goal has always been the same: ...

Just one glance at Brad Kaaya throwing passes Tuesday after the University of Miami’s first spring f ...

Yes, the Hurricanes’ uncertainty at quarterback has created some uneasiness, as Mark Richt told me r ...

Senior guards Adrienne Motley and Jessica Thomas sat slumped over on the Watsco Center floor late Mo ...

Spring has sprung for the University of Miami football program. Practice, closed to the public, had ...

Nova Southeastern University’s Jacqueline A. Travisano will be UM’s Executive Vice President for Bus ...

U.S. Trust will provide advisory services for UM’s long-term growth portfolio. ...

Sir James Galway, Distinguished Presidential Scholar, inspires flute students with his artistry and ...

Activist and community organizer Alicia Garza stresses the need for a richness of ideas to help solv ...

UM physicist studies the unexpected consequences of sub-second delays on fast-moving data systems ...

Miami travels to Louisville, Ky., Sunday at noon to face No. 34 Louisville at the Bass-Rudd Tennis C ...

The No. 37 Miami women's tennis team will head north to take on Boston College Friday at 1 p.m. ...

Miami head volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara is excited to announce the dates for the 2 ...

Briadam Herrera picked up the third All-America honor of his career Thursday with a fifth-place fini ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame will hold the 49th Annual UMSHoF Induction Banquet on Tu ...