Academic calendar and vital apps for the semester

Spring 2013 Academic Calendar

Wednesday: Last day to add a course

Jan. 30 – Last day to drop a course without receiving a “W”

Feb. 27 – Academic Alerts sent out

March 8 – Last day to apply for graduation

March 29 – Last day to drop a course for spring 2013

April 8 – Online registration begins for summer and fall 2013

May 1-8 – Final exams period

May 9-10 – Spring commencement exercises

Apps for the Spring Semester

Academic success is only a free download away, with these top educational and productivity applications for the spring semester.

iTunes U

Access complete courses offered by leading universities in a wide array of subjects, from biology to Spanish. The iTunes U app lets you see all assignments from your instructor, take notes and highlight text in iBooks, and play audio and video lectures.

Quizlet

Study for your next exam by making mobile flash cards with this app, or accessing millions of pre-made flash cards in Quizlet’s database. Choose the study mode that fits your learning style best, and verify word pronunciation with audio in nearly 20 languages.

Google Drive

Google gives you 5 GB of free space to store documents, spreadsheets, photos, music and other files. With the ability to easily share the files with others, Google Drive makes it easy to collaborate on group projects with classmates.

GRE by Dictionary.com

Students who are stressed out about graduate school applications and taking the GRE can memorize the most common vocabulary words by playing addicting games focused on word meanings, antonyms and sentence completion.

Google Translate

Linguists looking to master modern languages can use the Google Translate application to translate words and phrases between more than 60 languages. It even allows you to speak the text and head the translations spoken aloud.

Flipboard

Stay up-to-date on the latest news, but only the news you want to know about. Flipboard is like a personalized news magazine filled with links being shared across the Internet, based on the topics that interest you most. It also lets you flip through your social network feeds.

Lyssa Goldberg

Lyssa Goldberg is online editor of The Miami Hurricane. She is a senior majoring in journalism and political science with a minor in math. She has interned at Mashable and the Miami New Times, and her work has also been featured in The Huffington Post.

LAKE BUENA VISTA — Hurricane Irma gave Mark Walton a chance to be with his 6-month old daughter and ...

LAKE BUENA VISTA —Apparently, University of Miami All-American receiver Ahmmon Richard’s hamstring w ...

University of Miami quarterback Malik Rosier was about to head home to Mobile, Alabama, when the bos ...

University of Miami defensive coordinator Manny Diaz, who grew up in Miami and is the son of the for ...

How’s your landscaping after Hurricane Irma? Did you get it cleaned up (and replaced) as fast as the ...

UM students recount how they rode out the storm called Hurricane Irma. ...

The University’s decision to close classes well in advance of the hurricane enabled the successful e ...

The University is moving swiftly and diligently to clear widespread downed trees, power lines, and o ...

The University of Miami continues the recovery effort from Hurricane Irma. ...

The Hurricanes will be playing for all of South Florida when they host Toledo on Saturday at Hard Ro ...

The duo won its first seven matches of the  spring and went on to advance to the third round of the ...

The weekly ProCanes Report will weed through all the NFL highlights and news to bring you the inform ...

View some of the best images from the Miami women's tennis team's picture day in advance o ...

The men's cross country team moved up one spot to No. 14 in the South Region in the NCAA Divisi ...