News Briefs 1/21

Study Abroad

Students interested in studying abroad in London during the fall 2013 semester can attend an information session in the Toppel Career Center Library from 2 to 3 p.m. Thursday. Students of all majors are welcome to learn about the current UM programs in London as well as new developments. To RSVP for the event, or for more information, email eresnick@miami.edu or call 305-284-3434.

Supreme Court

Sonia Sotomayor, associate justice of the U.S. Supreme Court, will visit the BankUnited Center on Feb. 1. The event is a discussion with Justice Sotomayor led by UM President Donna E. Shalala. Sotomayor is the first Hispanic and third woman appointed to the Supreme Court. Doors will open at 5:30 p.m., and the event will begin at 6 p.m. Tickets for this special event are free and required for entry. They can be picked up beginning at 8:30 a.m Wednesday at the UC ticket window. Tickets for undergraduate, law and graduate students on the Coral Gables campus will be distributed on a first-come, first-served basis. The ticket window is open from 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Monday through Friday.

Careers

The Toppel Career Center’s Employer Practice Interview and Critique (EPIC) program will take place all day on Feb. 6. Students can have their resumes critiqued or conduct a mock interview with an actual employer. There are no walk-in appointments for this event; reservations with the companies should be made at hireacane.com. After logging in, click on job postings and search for the keyword “EPIC.” Students who do not have a resume in the system but still want to participate must email j.adams16@miami.edu. Business attire is required.

PhilADthropy

South Florida nonprofits seeking help with advertising and creative services can apply for free assistance during the School of Communication’s fourth annual “PhilADthropy” event on Feb. 8 and 9. Advertising, public relations and film students, guided by faculty members, alumni and agency professionals, work with local nonprofits to develop and deliver advertising and other promotional materials. The deadline to apply is Tuesday. To apply and for more information, visit philADthropy.com. To watch a video of the event, visit youtube.com/watch?v=Vcjl9E0iCRA.

Writing Reception

The University of Miami Alumni Association is hosting the Careers in Journalism and Writing Reception featuring a discussion with award-winning journalist and author Brian Bandell, who graduated from UM with a bachelor of science in communication in 2002. The event will take place 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. Feb. 11 at the Newman Alumni Center on San Amaro Drive. Bandell, who is a reporter for the South Florida Business Journal, will share about his experiences and keys to success as a writer. Bandell has won awards from the Florida Press Club, been recognized by the Society of Professional Journalists, and recently published the novel “Mute.” The event is free and open to the public.

Black Awareness

United Black Students and the Office of Multicultural Student Affairs will be hosting Black Awareness Month 2013 activities this February. The opening ceremonies will be held at 7 p.m. Feb. 4 in the Wesley Art Gallery. For more information and a complete list of events, visit miami.edu/msa.

Lunch and Learn

Dr. Gillian Hotz, research associate professor in the Department of Neurological Surgery, will be speaking at a lunch-and-learn information session about the long-term effects of a concussion. Hotz will discuss the symptoms, testing and treatment of a concussion at a lunch and learn event at noon on Jan. 31 in the Wellness Center classrooms. Attendees must bring their own lunch or may purchase a healthy lunch at the Wellness Center Courtside Eatery. For more information, email Connie Nickel at cnickel@miami.edu.

Alumni Leaders

Students can now apply to be an alumni ambassador and join a group of volunteer student leaders who work with the University of Miami Alumni Association. Members have the opportunity to network with UM alumni and promote the tradition of annual giving and involvement among the students at UM. For more information, or to apply, visit miami.edu/saa.journalist lecture.

Lyssa Goldberg may be contacted at lgoldberg@themiamihurricane.com.