Basketball, Sports

Miami rallies but falls short against UVA

Senior guard Stefanie Yderstrom weaves her way into the lane around GT defender Brittany Jackson during Thursday night’s game. Miami pulled away late in the second half and won 71-65. Nicholas Gangemi // Staff Photographer

The ACC has not been kind to Miami as of late.

After snapping a two-game losing streak against Georgia Tech on Thursday, the Hurricanes (13-5, 4-3 ACC) fell on the road against the Virginia Cavaliers 62-52 on Sunday afternoon.

The Hurricanes got back on the winning track Thursday night, defeating Georgia Tech 71-65 at the BankUnited Center.

Miami was coming off consecutive losses to Maryland and Florida State, falling by more than 20 points to both ranked opponents.

Playing without starting sophomore guard Michelle Woods, who was out with the flu, the Canes were led by center Shawnice “Pepper” Wilson. The 6-foot-6-inch senior set a career high with 21 points on 7-for-9 shooting. Wilson also made seven of her 10 free-throw attempts.

“I knew this game was important because we’re coming off a two-game losing streak,” she said. “And I think we had a great scout [report]for this game. The team was well-prepared and I knew … I needed to step up, especially when we’re down players. I just made sure that I was there for my team and did what I had to do to come out with a win.”

Coach Katie Meier said she told Wilson before the game that Miami was going to need a strong outing to fill the void left by Woods.

“Number one, she’s really confident – we’re really confident in her,” Meier said. “Number two, we liked the matchup inside for her and number three, we absolutely 100 percent needed her to have a career night for us to win.”

Miami also buckled down defensively on the Georgia Tech starters. The starting five for the Yellow Jackets combined for just 22 points on a meager 26.7 percent from the field.

Jackson’s play led to an enormous 43-3 bench scoring advantage for Georgia Tech.

“I was expecting a ton from our bench,” Meier said. “I didn’t feel like they performed to their level that they have in the past. This was the absolute wrong game to not perform at that level, and we’re going to put some pressure on them going into this road trip.”

Miami committed 13 first-half turnovers and Georgia Tech controlled much of the early action. The Yellow Jackets led 29-22 late in the first, but UM closed on an 8-2 run and trailed just 31-30 at halftime.

The Hurricanes opened the second session on a 20-11 run to take a 50-42 lead with 11:52 remaining. However, Georgia Tech did not go away. Jackson hit a jumper from beyond the arc to cap off a 13-4 run that put the Jackets up 55-54 with 7:30 remaining.

Senior Stefanie Yderstrom was a big contributor down the stretch for UM, totaling 18 points with four 3-pointers. Morgan Stroman added a double-double with 11 points and 12 rebounds.

Miami returns to the court Thursday at 6:30 p.m. on the road against Wake Forest.

Alex Schwartz

It was midweek when Miami leading receiver Braxton Berrios wistfully spoke of his four years as a Hu ...

Eli Rosier will be back where he belongs Saturday, where he feels most at home. He will be at a foot ...

The 11th-ranked University of Miami men’s basketball team remained undefeated with a 90-59 victory o ...

They remain undefeated — but still untested. The 11th-ranked University of Miami men’s basketball te ...

It has inspired T-shirts and a Migos-style hype song. Soon, fans will have a beer brewed in honor of ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

A cohort of five religious leaders from Miami, including a rabbi and imam from the University of Mia ...

Hollywood actress and star of the hit BET series Being Mary Jane gets real about gender, race and co ...

The annual development agreement meeting is a time for the city and University to share information ...

Miami survived an early scare to beat Virginia, 44-28, and achieve its first 10-win season since 200 ...

The University of Miami volleyball team produced some late-match magic Friday night to outlast an in ...

Miami dropped a 67-61 decision to Colorado on Saturday afternoon in its first road game of the seaso ...

Here are three matchups to watch in Saturday's Senior Day game between the No. 3 Canes and Virg ...

Miami's seniors will play their final home game at Hard Rock Stadium when the Canes face Virgin ...