Nearby eateries feature popular happy hours, food specials

With school back in session, it can be hard to save your money. New clothes and books can be a burden on your wallet. But just because you’re a broke college student doesn’t mean you shouldn’t be able to enjoy yourself on the weekends.

Here are the top 10 nearby eateries with happy hours and tasty food specials.

1) Buffalo Wild Wings (five minutes from campus)

A cool place to grab a brewski, dive food and watch the game (any game) on one of the many TVs. Best part: They close late and are across the street from campus, right in Sunset Place.

5701 Sunset Drive, South Miami

Food Specials: 50-cent wing Tuesdays and 60-cent boneless wing Thursdays all day!

Happy Hour: Monday–Friday 9 p.m.–12 a.m.

2) Burger and Beer Joint (15 minutes from campus)

Tucked inside Mary Brickell Village, this place has a retro vibe, playing old school classic rock tunes and is always teeming with patrons. Come here with an appetite, because the burgers are massive and the beer selection is great for all the beer connoisseurs out there. Try The Hotel California if you’re hungry. 

900 South Miami Ave. #130, Miami

Food Specials: $10 burgers all day Tuesdays

Happy Hour: Monday – Friday 5-7 p.m.; Monday – Thursday. midnight to 2 a.m.

3) Cheesecake Factory (10-15 minutes from campus)

If you’re hungry for something but you’re not quite sure what, The Cheesecake Factory is a good go-to place. The menu features an incredible variety of styles and flavors, not to mention the restaurant’s enormous entree portions and extensive cheesecake selection. If you decide to stop by, order the fried mac and cheese appetizer with a mojito.

7497 N. Kendall Drive, Miami (Dadeland Mall)

3015 Grand Ave., Coconut Grove (CocoWalk)

Happy Hour: Monday–Friday 4–6 p.m.

4) Chili’s  (10 minutes from campus)

Looking for some cheap eats and good portions? Look no further than Chili’s. Try the bottomless tostada chips with housemade salsa for less than $5.

8815 SW 72 Place, Miami (Dadeland)

Happy Hour: 2 for 1 all day, everyday

5) Cibo Wine Bar (eight minutes from campus)

Try this classy Italian place with awesome Italian fare while not breaking the bank. Plus, there is a small show involving a woman in a harness and chords performing acrobatics while retrieving bottles of wine every few minutes or so. You definitely can’t visit just once.

45 Miracle Mile, Coral Gables

Specials: Tuesdays- linguini with a fresh whole lobster for $19.95; Thursdays from 4–8 p.m.- Quattro-Otto Thursdays include half-price drinks and ladies drink for free (a unique signature cocktail each week)

Happy Hour: every day 4–7 p.m. (half-priced drinks)

6) Flanigan’s (five minutes from campus)

If you’re a seafood fanatic and want to go to a quick and casual place, try out Flanigan’s. Not fancy but not a hole in the wall, Flanigan’s very comfortable and stays open relatively late.

2721 Bird Ave., Miami
Happy Hour: Monday–Friday 4–7 p.m. (at the bar only)

7) Monty’s Seafood Restaurant (10 minutes from campus)

Monty’s is a hot spot on Fridays for UM students. Take advantage of the fact that we live in Miami by sitting outside. The fresh seafood cart is really good and offers decent prices during happy hour.

8815 SW 72nd Place, Miami

Happy Hour: Monday–Friday 4–8 p.m. (drinks) Monday-Friday 4 – 10 p.m. (fresh seafood cart)

8) RA Sushi (five minutes from campus)

This hot spot offers Asian fusion on top of the more common Japanese fare. RA has a modern ambiance inside featuring music. If you check in on Foursquare, you can get a free miso soup or edamame every time! Drink suggestions: legit sake bombs are always fun albeit messy or the umami punch, which is served in a fishbowl.

5829 SW 73rd St., Miami

Happy Hour: Monday–Saturday 3 p.m.–7 p.m.

Late night Happy Hour: Monday-Thursday 10 p.m. to midnight (food and drink specials)

9) T.G.I. Friday’s (3 min. from campus)
Not only is Friday’s super close and decently price, but it also has a full bar and opens late. Try the Ultimate Sangria and the potstickers.

1200 South Dixie Hwy., Coral Gables

Happy Hour: every day 3–7 p.m.; Sunday–Thursday 9 p.m.–1 a.m. ; Friday–Saturday 9 p.m.–2 a.m.

10) Yard House (6 min. from campus)

Located in Merrick Park, this place offers a crazy variety of food. The menu also features an impressive drink menu with a focus on beer. With the ample TV screens around, it’s a great place to watch the game, listen to great classic rock, while maintaining a classy atmosphere.

320 San Lorenzo Ave., Coral Gables

Happy Hour: Sunday–Wednesday 10 p.m.–1:30 a.m. ; Monday–Friday 3–6 p.m.

Catherine Wong

It was midweek when Miami leading receiver Braxton Berrios wistfully spoke of his four years as a Hu ...

Eli Rosier will be back where he belongs Saturday, where he feels most at home. He will be at a foot ...

The 11th-ranked University of Miami men’s basketball team remained undefeated with a 90-59 victory o ...

They remain undefeated — but still untested. The 11th-ranked University of Miami men’s basketball te ...

It has inspired T-shirts and a Migos-style hype song. Soon, fans will have a beer brewed in honor of ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

A cohort of five religious leaders from Miami, including a rabbi and imam from the University of Mia ...

Hollywood actress and star of the hit BET series Being Mary Jane gets real about gender, race and co ...

The annual development agreement meeting is a time for the city and University to share information ...

Miami survived an early scare to beat Virginia, 44-28, and achieve its first 10-win season since 200 ...

The University of Miami volleyball team produced some late-match magic Friday night to outlast an in ...

Miami dropped a 67-61 decision to Colorado on Saturday afternoon in its first road game of the seaso ...

Here are three matchups to watch in Saturday's Senior Day game between the No. 3 Canes and Virg ...

Miami's seniors will play their final home game at Hard Rock Stadium when the Canes face Virgin ...