Frost dean nominated for Grammy

Nominated: Dean Shelton G. Berg was nominated for a Grammy Award for his arrangement of “Out There.” Courtesy http://www.shellyberg.com/

Pianist, arranger and composer Shelton G. Berg – who is also the dean of the Frost School of Music – was recently nominated for a Grammy Award.

Berg was nominated for his arrangement of “Out There” on Lorraine Feather’s album “Tales of the Unusual” (Jazzed Media) in the Best Instrumental Arrangement Accompanying Vocalist(s) category.

Other musicians nominated for the award include Esperanza Spalding, Vince Mendoza and Nan Schwartz.

“The old cliche is true – whether I win or not, it is a great honor to be nominated. The nomination is an affirmation of my work from my peers in the industry, and I am very grateful to receive it,” Berg said.

Berg and Feather are frequent musical collaborators and co-wrote the song that earned him the nomination.

“Lorraine often picks offbeat subjects for her songs … ‘Out There’ is about ‘The X-Files,’ and it is a very quirky song. The arrangement I wrote is intended to set the mood of that show and its character,” Berg said.

Sophomore Emily Minkow, a music therapy major, sees Berg as an inspiration to all Frost students and a reminder that their dreams are within reach.

Berg’s musical career began at the age of 5, when his parents sent him to the Cleveland Institute of Music to take part in a program for gifted young musicians.

By the age of 12, he was already playing and writing music professionally.

Berg paid his way through school at the University of Houston by playing in a college band six nights a week.

“I wrote the arrangements for that group, which was great training,” Berg said about his time with the band.

In addition to Berg’s commitment to higher education for the past 30 years at the University of Southern California and University of Miami, Berg has continued to work in the music industry by performing globally, arranging and orchestrating for pop and jazz stars.

He has also composed and arranged music for both film and television.

His most recent project has been arranging and co-producing a new album with Gloria Estefan of Sony International in addition to the Shelly Berg Trio, consisting of Shelly Berg, Gregg Field and Chuck Berghofer.

The trio is recording an all-Gershwin album with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra and Jose Serebrier as conductor, according to the University of Miami website.
Sophomore Mateja Kalajian, a violin performance major, hopes that the nomination will attract more students to Frost.

“He is very inspiring and a well-rounded musician,” Kalajian said.

The winner will be announced at the 55th Grammy Awards held in Los Angeles on Feb. 10 and hosted by LL Cool J. The award show will be broadcast live on CBS at 8 p.m.

Rebecca Cohen

University of Miami running back Mark Walton was rolling — until he got rolled on, or stepped on. Wa ...

For those concerned about the apparent on-field struggles of graduate transfer Dee Delaney, an All-A ...

This week’s Top 25 college-affiliated football polls, released Sunday afternoon, agreed on how to ta ...

A few quick thoughts (or second thoughts) after 14th-ranked UM’s 52-30 win against Toledo on Saturda ...

Miami Hurricanes senior wide receiver Braxton Berrios sprinted — in a joyous frenzy — for about 30 y ...

UM students fan out across South Florida to help local neighborhoods rebound from the impacts of Hur ...

Classes resume on the Coral Gables campus after the removal of 4 million pounds of landscape debris. ...

Students living in residential housing are returning to campus and classes with renewed resolve. ...

UM’s student-run ’Canes Emergency Response Team puts their training into action to assist with recov ...

UM students recount how they rode out the storm called Hurricane Irma. ...

Walton rushes for career-high 204 yards and Rosier has four touchdowns in Miami's comeback vict ...

The University of Miami volleyball team outlasted Virginia, 3-2, in Atlantic Coast Conference action ...

Sunday, Sinead Lohan became the first person in Miami women's tennis history to win the singles ...

The Miami women's tennis team concluded its opening weekend of play Sunday on the final day of ...

The University of Miami swimming team continued its weekend at All-Florida Invitational at the Steph ...