Frost dean nominated for Grammy

Nominated: Dean Shelton G. Berg was nominated for a Grammy Award for his arrangement of “Out There.” Courtesy http://www.shellyberg.com/

Pianist, arranger and composer Shelton G. Berg – who is also the dean of the Frost School of Music – was recently nominated for a Grammy Award.

Berg was nominated for his arrangement of “Out There” on Lorraine Feather’s album “Tales of the Unusual” (Jazzed Media) in the Best Instrumental Arrangement Accompanying Vocalist(s) category.

Other musicians nominated for the award include Esperanza Spalding, Vince Mendoza and Nan Schwartz.

“The old cliche is true – whether I win or not, it is a great honor to be nominated. The nomination is an affirmation of my work from my peers in the industry, and I am very grateful to receive it,” Berg said.

Berg and Feather are frequent musical collaborators and co-wrote the song that earned him the nomination.

“Lorraine often picks offbeat subjects for her songs … ‘Out There’ is about ‘The X-Files,’ and it is a very quirky song. The arrangement I wrote is intended to set the mood of that show and its character,” Berg said.

Sophomore Emily Minkow, a music therapy major, sees Berg as an inspiration to all Frost students and a reminder that their dreams are within reach.

Berg’s musical career began at the age of 5, when his parents sent him to the Cleveland Institute of Music to take part in a program for gifted young musicians.

By the age of 12, he was already playing and writing music professionally.

Berg paid his way through school at the University of Houston by playing in a college band six nights a week.

“I wrote the arrangements for that group, which was great training,” Berg said about his time with the band.

In addition to Berg’s commitment to higher education for the past 30 years at the University of Southern California and University of Miami, Berg has continued to work in the music industry by performing globally, arranging and orchestrating for pop and jazz stars.

He has also composed and arranged music for both film and television.

His most recent project has been arranging and co-producing a new album with Gloria Estefan of Sony International in addition to the Shelly Berg Trio, consisting of Shelly Berg, Gregg Field and Chuck Berghofer.

The trio is recording an all-Gershwin album with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra and Jose Serebrier as conductor, according to the University of Miami website.
Sophomore Mateja Kalajian, a violin performance major, hopes that the nomination will attract more students to Frost.

“He is very inspiring and a well-rounded musician,” Kalajian said.

The winner will be announced at the 55th Grammy Awards held in Los Angeles on Feb. 10 and hosted by LL Cool J. The award show will be broadcast live on CBS at 8 p.m.

Rebecca Cohen

Could the once forlorn University of Miami be closer than some think to extending that national-reco ...

A few media notes on a Thursday: • As has been the case most years, ABC has decided to televise the ...

Most of the University of Miami student body is on Summer break; but the Hurricanes football team is ...

University of Miami football great Cortez Kennedy, a Pro Football Hall of Famer remembered for his w ...

The Hurricanes are still alive in their quest to make it to the NCAA Division I Baseball Tournament. ...

A new study reveals that mindfulness training, but not relaxation training, benefits college athlete ...

Frenk delivered his inaugural lecture Wednesday, officially joining the most prestigious group of Me ...

Victor Oquendo, BSC ’09, is following in his parents’ footsteps. ...

The Rosenstiel School’s final lecture of the 2017 Sea Secrets series focused on using science diplom ...

Researchers believe they have found a new way to monitor the intensity and location of hurricanes fr ...

No. 40 Estela Perez-Somarriba took down No. 27 Arianne Hartono of Ole Miss, 6-4, 6-3, Thursday morni ...

Jonathan Keller and Amanda Gale of the University of Miami track and field program were named to the ...

The University of Miami's Week 3 game at in-state rival Florida State on Sept. 16 will be telev ...

Due to inclement weather, the ACC Championship has adjusted the scheduled for games and Miami will n ...

No. 40 Estela Perez-Somarriba dominated the final two sets to register a 1-6, 6-1, 6-1 triumph over ...