Edge, Music, Reviews

Timberlake suits up for comeback

Seven years and five blockbusters later, Justin Timberlake is back in the game.

After a dramatic three-day countdown on his official website, Timberlake released “Suit and Tie” – a preview of his upcoming third studio album, “The 20/20 Experience.”

Although the song isn’t making much of a statement, people are still talking and that’s what counts. It may not be what fans expected after so much anticipation. But if I know JT like I think I do, it’ll get better.

It seems like most artists today are releasing mediocre tracks to debut their albums. Maybe JT is just following the trend.

The lyrics – written by Timberlake, Timbaland, Shawn Carter, J-Roc and James Fauntleroy – aren’t earth-shattering: “I can’t wait ‘til I get you on the floor, good-looking/Going out so hot just like an oven.” But JT’s vocals shine, as they always do.

The slow, swanky beat reminds me of “What Goes Around … Comes Around” and “Cry Me A River” with a jazzy twist.

The track won’t blow your mind, but you’ll definitely be rocking your body to it – see what I did there?

Jay-Z is thrown on the track – quite literally … his verse seems out of place. It throws off the smooth R&B vibe Timberlake sets in the first three minutes of the song. But let’s get real, Jay-Z can’t ruin anything.

Overall, it’s a great transition from “FutureSex/LoveSounds” to “The 20/20 Experience.” Expectations were set high and Timberlake delivered – or at least he tried.

Based on the buzz that surrounded this track, it is safe to say that the singer is still a triple-threat. It’s impossible not to enjoy his dance beats and falsetto.

Critics step aside because JT is back.

Nicky Diaz

Copy Chief

When Al Golden recruited David Njoku to the University of Miami in 2014 the Cedar Grove, N.J. native ...

The night after FIU gave away a game to the University of Miami with a ninth-inning passed ball that ...

Redshirt freshman quarterback Jack Allison left the University of Miami football program on Tuesday. ...

Closer Frankie Bartow stared into the Panthers’ dugout immediately after fanning the final batter of ...

Go ahead. Try telling former University of Miami quarterback Brad Kaaya that his critics say he gets ...

UM marks Holocaust Remembrance Day with a reading of names and recollections of a survivor. ...

A recent paper argues that not only have researchers just scratched the surface of analyzing the Ama ...

The period of the first 100 days in office is a telling gauge for a president's full term in th ...

UM students, staff and faculty join the worldwide march to end men’s violence against women. ...

Greek Week at the University of Miami is committed to raising money and awareness for United Cerebra ...

Images from @CanesMensTennis match against Duke. ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team came up short against No. 34 Duke University, 4-1, Th ...

Images from @CanesMensTennis win over Boston College. ...

Sinead Lohan and Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team were both among the ni ...

The fourth-seeded Miami women's tennis team is set to open ACC Championship play Friday afterno ...