Edge, Music, Reviews

Timberlake suits up for comeback

Seven years and five blockbusters later, Justin Timberlake is back in the game.

After a dramatic three-day countdown on his official website, Timberlake released “Suit and Tie” – a preview of his upcoming third studio album, “The 20/20 Experience.”

Although the song isn’t making much of a statement, people are still talking and that’s what counts. It may not be what fans expected after so much anticipation. But if I know JT like I think I do, it’ll get better.

It seems like most artists today are releasing mediocre tracks to debut their albums. Maybe JT is just following the trend.

The lyrics – written by Timberlake, Timbaland, Shawn Carter, J-Roc and James Fauntleroy – aren’t earth-shattering: “I can’t wait ‘til I get you on the floor, good-looking/Going out so hot just like an oven.” But JT’s vocals shine, as they always do.

The slow, swanky beat reminds me of “What Goes Around … Comes Around” and “Cry Me A River” with a jazzy twist.

The track won’t blow your mind, but you’ll definitely be rocking your body to it – see what I did there?

Jay-Z is thrown on the track – quite literally … his verse seems out of place. It throws off the smooth R&B vibe Timberlake sets in the first three minutes of the song. But let’s get real, Jay-Z can’t ruin anything.

Overall, it’s a great transition from “FutureSex/LoveSounds” to “The 20/20 Experience.” Expectations were set high and Timberlake delivered – or at least he tried.

Based on the buzz that surrounded this track, it is safe to say that the singer is still a triple-threat. It’s impossible not to enjoy his dance beats and falsetto.

Critics step aside because JT is back.

Nicky Diaz

Copy Chief

Most NBA mock drafts had Miami Hurricanes guard Davon Reed going late in the second round of Thursda ...

University of Miami shooting guard Davon Reed will gather with friends and family in Ewing, New Jers ...

University of Miami great and Pro Football Hall of Famer Warren Sapp announced on Tuesday that he pl ...

The University of Miami continues to make a hard push for five-star point guard Immanuel Quickley of ...

The University of Miami’s 2018 football recruiting class, already ranked the best in the country by ...

UM Student Affairs Advocacy Coordinator Heather Stevens has been awarded the William Leftwich Award ...

President Julio Frenk makes the case for collaboration at eMerge Americas. ...

UM College of Engineering Dean Jean-Pierre Bardet and alumnus Rony Abovitz share the stage in a disc ...

UM showcases its technology initiatives and projects at eMerge Americas ...

The University of Miami Center for Computational Science and the Fastrack Institute sign an agreemen ...

Four weeks, four potential stars, only at The U. ...

Redshirt senior forward Kamari Murphy of the University of Miami men's basketball team will pla ...

Senior guard Davon Reed of the University of Miami men's basketball team was selected No. 32 ov ...

Lexi Castellano of the University of Miami soccer team spent almost four weeks this summer in Vietna ...

Miami Hurricanes baseball legend Pat Burrell will be inducted into the Omaha College Baseball Hall o ...