Connecticut native launches yacht-inspired clothing line

Senior Chris Uscinski has developed a T-shirt line inspired by experiences at the yacht harbor in Block Island, R.I. He is also working on a web show about boating.Monica Herndon // Assistant Photo Editor 

Before leaving his political science class, senior Chris Uscinski receives updates on his phone about his Connecticut-based yacht company, while checking the status of the next shipment of his clothing line.

Uscinski, 22, developed Salt Pond Co. this past summer, offering preppy attire that is reminiscent of his experiences at the yacht harbor in Block Island, R.I.

“The prototype of the shirts sold out,” he said. “I try to get into any business opportunities, if it works.”

The clothing line currently has T-shirts in blue, white and yellow, and they are representative of the harbor’s nautical feel. Each shirt costs $20 and can be ordered through the company’s Facebook page.

“The shirts have spread a lot by word of mouth,” he said.

Uscinski manages Salt Pond with his business partner Sands Payne, who works from Block Island. Payne has worked about 20 years in retail, buying clothing and distributing them in his stores. Salt Pond is the first time he is developing a logo and brand that “is not specific to any region,” he said.

“I wanted the logo to encompass the marina at Block Island but be more general and apply to anywhere else,” Payne said. “The shirts are not so specific like a tourist’s.”

Uscinski is grateful to have Payne at the company’s headquarters to help balance the pressure of two companies and schoolwork.

“Payne is the dock owner’s son,” Uscinski said. “I needed a partner to help with retail. It can be hard to sometimes have a school life.”

Salt Pond has sold more than 19 dozen shirts and will offer polo shirts, pants, belts and ties later this year, according to Payne and Uscinski.

They also said they hope the shirts can be introduced to local retailers in Rhode Island and specialty stores. The duo hopes to expand the business along the East Coast.

“It takes a lot of work, but I am ambitious when it comes to these opportunities,” he said.

A Clinton Beach, Conn., native, Uscinski began exploring entrepreneurship when he was 16 years old, starting Boater’s Buddy, a yacht management company.

Boater’s Buddy maintains yachts by providing interior and exterior cleaning, gas fill-ups, and linen and grocery services. The company has grown to include two more locations in Block Island and Miami.

In addition to Salt Pond, Uscinski is creating an online comedy web show about boating that will stream on tvworldwide.com in late spring. Writing and filming will take place during the spring semester. The TV show will feature Salt Pond shirts to help advertise the brand, Uscinski said.

Alexander Gonzalez

Assistant Editor

Not only are the Hurricanes in the mix for at least five high-end running backs for the 2019 class, ...

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

This is the time of year when every win or loss can make a difference in a team’s NCAA Tournament ch ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

At the University of Miami, the professor has the last word on whether students can use their laptop ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (5-2) returns to the court on Friday at 4 p.m., as it ...

Continuing a season-opening, seven-game homestand, No. 24 Miami is looking for its second straight s ...

Former Hurricane guard signs 10-day contract with Indiana Pacers. ...

For the second straight game, Miami's starting pitcher looked in dominant form through the firs ...

The University of Miami track and field team will compete against fellow conference members at the 2 ...