Football, Sports

Former FIU head coach Cristobal joins Hurricanes staff

Mario Cristobal rejoined the Hurricanes football staff on Thursday, the University of Miami announced. Cristobal, a former Miami player and coach, will serve as associate coach and tight ends coach.

He was fired in December as head coach at FIU, where the Golden Panthers finished 3-9 in 2012. Despite the underperforming season, Cristobal is credited with turning an irrelevant program into Sun Belt Conference champions since he took the coaching job in 2006.

“It’s great to have someone of his caliber back on the staff and home where he belongs,” said Chris Yandle, director of communications for the UM athletic department. “Mario is a Miami guy through and through – everybody knows him.”

Brennan Carroll will transition from his current position as tight ends coach and will now work with the Canes’ wide receivers.

Cristobal was a member of two national championship teams during his playing days at Miami. He was a graduate assistant from 1998 to 2000, and the tight ends/offensive line coach from 2004 to 2006.

Spencer Dandes

It’s dress rehearsal time for the Miami Hurricanes. On Thursday morning, the Hurricanes will conduct ...

Coach Mark Richt had just told the young man who grew up loving the Miami Hurricanes that he would b ...

The University of Miami has a starting quarterback. On Tuesday, 11 days before the 2017 home opener, ...

View photos from the Miami Hurricanes' practice on Wed., Aug. 23, 2017. … Click to Continue » ...

Mark Richt, pleased and seemingly confident about his selection of redshirt junior Malik Rosier as t ...

Students and faculty gathered at the Rock to catch a glimpse of the solar eclipse. ...

The University of Miami has embarked on an ambitious 10-year housing plan that will transform the st ...