Football, Sports

Former FIU head coach Cristobal joins Hurricanes staff

Mario Cristobal rejoined the Hurricanes football staff on Thursday, the University of Miami announced. Cristobal, a former Miami player and coach, will serve as associate coach and tight ends coach.

He was fired in December as head coach at FIU, where the Golden Panthers finished 3-9 in 2012. Despite the underperforming season, Cristobal is credited with turning an irrelevant program into Sun Belt Conference champions since he took the coaching job in 2006.

“It’s great to have someone of his caliber back on the staff and home where he belongs,” said Chris Yandle, director of communications for the UM athletic department. “Mario is a Miami guy through and through – everybody knows him.”

Brennan Carroll will transition from his current position as tight ends coach and will now work with the Canes’ wide receivers.

Cristobal was a member of two national championship teams during his playing days at Miami. He was a graduate assistant from 1998 to 2000, and the tight ends/offensive line coach from 2004 to 2006.

About Author

Spencer Dandes

And another one... The stars just keep committing. A few hours after Miami Southridge’s nationally h ...

Want an early look at the incoming shooting guard who has a chance to become Miami’s best basketball ...

The University of Miami quarterback corps is deep in numbers but shallow in experience. The battle c ...

Freshmen anyone? Mark Richt sounds like he’s liking these three early-enrollee true freshmen a whole ...

The University of Miami completed Day Three of spring football on Saturday, and as soon as practice ...

More than 250 participants met at the UM Fieldhouse at the Watsco Center to learn more from industry ...

Redshirt freshman diver David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men’s 10-meter plat ...

UM junior Gina Panarese was surprised on campus Thursday by the Ellen DeGeneres show and asked to pa ...

A conversation with Belén Garijo and Felicia Marie Knaul. ...

Nova Southeastern University’s Jacqueline A. Travisano will be UM’s Executive Vice President for Bus ...

Highlights from the 2016-17 Miami men's basketball season ...

Miami fell to No. 34 University of Louisville, 4-1, Sunday at the Bass-Rudd Tennis Center. ...

Facing its 10th top-30 opponent in 13 matches this season, the No. 37 Miami women's tennis team ...

Junior lefthander Michael Mediavilla was his vintage self, Miami's offense came through again, ...

Miami redshirt freshman David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men's 10-meter ...