Football, Sports

Former FIU head coach Cristobal joins Hurricanes staff

Mario Cristobal rejoined the Hurricanes football staff on Thursday, the University of Miami announced. Cristobal, a former Miami player and coach, will serve as associate coach and tight ends coach.

He was fired in December as head coach at FIU, where the Golden Panthers finished 3-9 in 2012. Despite the underperforming season, Cristobal is credited with turning an irrelevant program into Sun Belt Conference champions since he took the coaching job in 2006.

“It’s great to have someone of his caliber back on the staff and home where he belongs,” said Chris Yandle, director of communications for the UM athletic department. “Mario is a Miami guy through and through – everybody knows him.”

Brennan Carroll will transition from his current position as tight ends coach and will now work with the Canes’ wide receivers.

Cristobal was a member of two national championship teams during his playing days at Miami. He was a graduate assistant from 1998 to 2000, and the tight ends/offensive line coach from 2004 to 2006.

Spencer Dandes

University of Miami shooting guard Davon Reed will gather with friends and family in Ewing, New Jers ...

University of Miami great and Pro Football Hall of Famer Warren Sapp announced on Tuesday that he pl ...

The University of Miami continues to make a hard push for five-star point guard Immanuel Quickley of ...

The University of Miami’s 2018 football recruiting class, already ranked the best in the country by ...

A sobering reminder came watching the Golden State Warriors slice through the NBA to a championship ...

UM Student Affairs Advocacy Coordinator Heather Stevens has been awarded the William Leftwich Award ...

President Julio Frenk makes the case for collaboration at eMerge Americas. ...

UM College of Engineering Dean Jean-Pierre Bardet and alumnus Rony Abovitz share the stage in a disc ...

UM showcases its technology initiatives and projects at eMerge Americas ...

The University of Miami Center for Computational Science and the Fastrack Institute sign an agreemen ...

The Miami women's swimming & diving program was among those recognized by the College Swimm ...

Five members of the University of Miami track and field program will compete against their country ...

University of Miami men's basketball player Dejan Vasiljevic is set to compete for Australia ...

Nine Hurricanes were named to Athlon Sports Preseason All-ACC Teams, including a conference-leading ...

Four weeks, four potential stars, only at The U. ...