News, Sports

Football player arrested in connection to laptop theft

Sophomore Thomas Finnie, a defensive back for UM’s football team, was arrested Tuesday morning in connection to the theft of a Macbook Pro on campus on Dec. 4.

Finnie

According to a press release by the Coral Gables Police Department (CGPD), Finnie has been charged with occupied burglary and grand theft. He was booked at 2:25 p.m. on $17,500 bond, according to Miami-Dade County Department of Corrections.

Finnie is still listed on the team roster on hurricanesports.com, but according to a statement released by the school, he has been suspended from the team. Finnie played in all 12 games during the 2012 season, starting six and accounted for 30 total tackles on the season and an interception.

According to the CGPD, Finnie stole the laptop from an unidentified student’s dorm room in Pearson Residential Hall. Upon discovering the theft, the student was “able to place an electronic message on the screen of his laptop” saying that he was willing to pay $1,000 for its return.

The police report issued by the CGPD stated that the student received a phone call the following evening from Del’Neco Streeter, 21, who was willing to return the laptop for the money. The student met with Streeter later that night  at 8:52 p.m. in front of the BankUnited Center. Streeter arrived in a vehicle and was accompanied by an unknown individual, said the CGPD press release.

Once Streeter handed the laptop to the student and asked for the money, UMPD officers emerged from the BankUnited Center (BUC) and attempted to arrest Streeter. Streeter fled and was later found by officers in a stairwell on the sixth floor of Pavia Garage. He was arrested at 3:39 a.m.  According to the CGPD press release, the driver of the vehicle also fled and the car was later found in another area of campus.

The police report stated that Streeter said a friend stole the student’s laptop. Streeter has been charged with dealing in stolen property and resisting arrest.

On Tuesday, Finnie surrendered to the UM Police Department and was subsequently arrested. He was also given a campus-wide trespassing warning.

According to the Miami-Dade Clerk of the Courts, Finnie had previously been charged with a misdemeanor account of posession of marijuana on July 20.

For more information, check out these stories:

Suspect arrested in connection to campus theft

About Author

Alysha Khan Online Editor

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Football player arrested in connection to laptop theft”

1. Tony says:

It was an easy case. They busted him using anti-theft software like Devicetrack.net. It allows the laptop owners to locate their device and report its location to the Police for recovery.

Here’s a positive sign for the University of Miami football program: receiver Lawrence Cager appears ...

Tidbits from UM spring football Day 4: • Three of what likely will be UM’s top four corners haven’t ...

You’ve probably seen them: the emotive tweets from University of Miami football coach Mark Richt and ...

And another one... The stars just keep committing. A few hours after Miami Southridge’s nationally h ...

Want an early look at the incoming shooting guard who has a chance to become Miami’s best basketball ...

More than 250 participants met at the UM Fieldhouse at the Watsco Center to learn more from industry ...

Redshirt freshman diver David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men’s 10-meter plat ...

UM junior Gina Panarese was surprised on campus Thursday by the Ellen DeGeneres show and asked to pa ...

A conversation with Belén Garijo and Felicia Marie Knaul. ...

Nova Southeastern University’s Jacqueline A. Travisano will be UM’s Executive Vice President for Bus ...

Highlights from the 2016-17 Miami men's basketball season ...

Miami fell to No. 34 University of Louisville, 4-1, Sunday at the Bass-Rudd Tennis Center. ...

Facing its 10th top-30 opponent in 13 matches this season, the No. 37 Miami women's tennis team ...

Junior lefthander Michael Mediavilla was his vintage self, Miami's offense came through again, ...

Miami redshirt freshman David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men's 10-meter ...