News, Sports

Football player arrested in connection to laptop theft

Sophomore Thomas Finnie, a defensive back for UM’s football team, was arrested Tuesday morning in connection to the theft of a Macbook Pro on campus on Dec. 4.

Finnie

According to a press release by the Coral Gables Police Department (CGPD), Finnie has been charged with occupied burglary and grand theft. He was booked at 2:25 p.m. on $17,500 bond, according to Miami-Dade County Department of Corrections.

Finnie is still listed on the team roster on hurricanesports.com, but according to a statement released by the school, he has been suspended from the team. Finnie played in all 12 games during the 2012 season, starting six and accounted for 30 total tackles on the season and an interception.

According to the CGPD, Finnie stole the laptop from an unidentified student’s dorm room in Pearson Residential Hall. Upon discovering the theft, the student was “able to place an electronic message on the screen of his laptop” saying that he was willing to pay $1,000 for its return.

The police report issued by the CGPD stated that the student received a phone call the following evening from Del’Neco Streeter, 21, who was willing to return the laptop for the money. The student met with Streeter later that night  at 8:52 p.m. in front of the BankUnited Center. Streeter arrived in a vehicle and was accompanied by an unknown individual, said the CGPD press release.

Once Streeter handed the laptop to the student and asked for the money, UMPD officers emerged from the BankUnited Center (BUC) and attempted to arrest Streeter. Streeter fled and was later found by officers in a stairwell on the sixth floor of Pavia Garage. He was arrested at 3:39 a.m.  According to the CGPD press release, the driver of the vehicle also fled and the car was later found in another area of campus.

The police report stated that Streeter said a friend stole the student’s laptop. Streeter has been charged with dealing in stolen property and resisting arrest.

On Tuesday, Finnie surrendered to the UM Police Department and was subsequently arrested. He was also given a campus-wide trespassing warning.

According to the Miami-Dade Clerk of the Courts, Finnie had previously been charged with a misdemeanor account of posession of marijuana on July 20.

For more information, check out these stories:

Suspect arrested in connection to campus theft

Alysha Khan

Online Editor

Ernesto Suarez

Sports Editor

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Football player arrested in connection to laptop theft”

1. Tony says:

It was an easy case. They busted him using anti-theft software like Devicetrack.net. It allows the laptop owners to locate their device and report its location to the Police for recovery.

University of Miami running back Mark Walton was rolling — until he got rolled on, or stepped on. Wa ...

University of Miami safety Sheldrick Redwine got to wear the gaudy (but beautiful to Canes and their ...

For those concerned about the apparent on-field struggles of graduate transfer Dee Delaney, an All-A ...

This week’s Top 25 college-affiliated football polls, released Sunday afternoon, agreed on how to ta ...

A few quick thoughts (or second thoughts) after 14th-ranked UM’s 52-30 win against Toledo on Saturda ...

UM students fan out across South Florida to help local neighborhoods rebound from the impacts of Hur ...

Classes resume on the Coral Gables campus after the removal of 4 million pounds of landscape debris. ...

Students living in residential housing are returning to campus and classes with renewed resolve. ...

UM’s student-run ’Canes Emergency Response Team puts their training into action to assist with recov ...

UM students recount how they rode out the storm called Hurricane Irma. ...

Walton rushes for career-high 204 yards and Rosier has four touchdowns in Miami's comeback vict ...

Junior golfer Dewi Weber highlighted second round action for the University of Miami women's go ...

The Miami Hurricanes swimming team wrapped up its opening weekend of competition at the All-Florida ...

The University of Miami volleyball team outlasted Virginia, 3-2, in Atlantic Coast Conference action ...

Sunday, Sinead Lohan became the first person in Miami women's tennis history to win the singles ...