Basketball, Sports

Canes pick up big win over Penn State 69-65

Eleven days after having its 41-game home winning streak snapped, the Miami women’s basketball team picked up a victory that was as big as any it had during that 33-month stretch.

The Hurricanes defeated No. 6 Penn State, 69-65, on Thursday behind a tremendous defensive effort from start to finish. Miami (5-1) forced PSU (5-1) into 29 turnovers, including 20 in the first half.

“I think we beat five [ranked Maryland]last year . . . but I kind of prefer this one because we had such as gap that we had to close,” UM head coach Kaite Meier said of the win. “In the other one maybe they were five and maybe we were 10 or something, but for us, I do believe we’re a top 25 team. I do believe we shouldn’t have been in the rankings after we lost to Tennessee playing the way we did. I don’t really care about the rankings, but are we good? We are legit.”

UM had three different players with at least four steals on the night, as the ‘Canes came away with 19 total. Senior Morgan Stroman led the way with five thefts, to go along with her team-high 15 points.

“It was team defense,” Meier said of the forced turnovers. “We did a couple things I don’t want to give away, but we did a couple things that no one else has done to them in terms of some timing and how we played certain screens and stuff.”

Miami led 8-0 at the first media timeout, as the Lady Lions took over four minutes to score a point. From there, the teams played fairly even ball and UM led 36-29 at the break without trailing the entire half.

A layup by senior Stefanie Yderstrom, who tied a career high with seven assists, gave Miami a nine-point lead, 42-33, with 16:45 to go. The Lady Lions then went on a huge run to not only get back in the game, but take their first lead.

Led by guards Maggie Lucas and Alex Bentley, Penn State outscored Miami 20-7 over the next eight-plus minutes and held a 53-49 advantage with 8:21 remaining.

Miami responded with a 7-0 run of its own, with the first five points coming from Yderstrom, including a 3-pointer to start it off.

“It was open shots,” Yderstrom said. “I have confidence from the coaches. They’re just telling me to shoot, shoot.”

The two teams then went back and forth and Bentley tied the score at 62 with 41 seconds left.

UM sophomore guard Michelle Woods quickly answered, converting a 3-point play with 35 ticks remaining to put the Hurricanes up by three.

Twelve seconds later, Lucas buried a 3-pointer to even the score at 65.

UM sophomore guard Suriya McGuire drove hard to the rack at the other end and converted a layup to put Miami up with the clock showing 0:14. Bentley missed a shot for PSU and Woods iced the game with a pair of free throws, making the final score 69-65.

The win was Miami’s third in a row and the Hurricanes return to the court tonight at 7:05 p.m., hosting Alcorn State at the BUC.

Alex Schwartz

Hurricanes fans, get out your pencils, calendars and a list of your favorite hotels. The Atlantic Co ...

Three former Miami Hurricanes — defensive lineman Chad Thomas, offensive lineman KC McDermott and de ...

In all technicality, the Orange Bowl is a postseason, neutral-site bowl game that includes a top tea ...

When it comes to recruiting, the scariest sentence for Miami Hurricanes fans is this one: Nesta Silv ...

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

UM launches three cyber security certificate programs to equip professionals for the growing employm ...

The University of Miami released its 2018 football schedule Wednesday, highlighted by a nationally t ...

Notes from Miami's 2018 Football schedule. ...

Freshman jumper Hasani Knight was named ACC Men's Field Performer of the Week. ...

MIami volleyball signee Chloe Brown was named the 2017-18 Gatorade Oregon Volleyball Player of the Y ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team will play the first of two home games in a 31-d ...