UMTV supervisor ‘polished’ on air

While some communication students struggle to find work after they graduate from college, senior Julian Glover does not worry.

With previous internships at Fox and CBS under his belt, Glover now works at WFOR CBS in Miami as an associate producer every Friday to Sunday from 2 p.m. to midnight.

While working as a national desk intern in New York for CBS this past summer, Glover decided to look at job openings at CBS in Miami. When he saw an associate producer position opening, he immediately sent his resume.

After calling CBS many times, Glover finally got an interview when he came back to Miami, and the rest is history.

As associate producer Glover stacks the show, fills out the rundown and also helps write the script for the show.

“I do whatever needs to be done to make the newscast go on and off the air smoothly,” Glover said.

Glover, 20, majors in broadcast journalism and political science with a minor in sociology.

When not in class, Glover is the station manager of UMTV and is in charge of the executive board, coordinating coverage, supervising the eight different UMTV shows and making sure the production level of the shows are as high as possible.

Senior Cristian Benavides, who works as an executive producer for Uni Miami, a show featured on UMTV, thinks highly of Glover.

“I think what is really admirable about Julian is not only does he set an example for UMTV, but during his time as station manager, he has made the organization better,” he said. “We could not have asked for a better leader.”

During his first few semesters, Glover had trouble deciding whether he wanted to go into print journalism or media management. Once he anchored and reported for the shows Newsvision and UMTV Today on UMTV, UM’s cable television station, he knew broadcast journalism was for him.

Professor Barton, the faculty advisor for NewsVision, believes that Glover is well beyond his years as an broadcast journalist.

“His on-air skills are incredibly polished for a college student. He has been an anchor on NewsVision for three semesters,” he said. “We only choose the best, which says a lot about his on air skills.”

Although Glover does not not know where his career may take him, he is determined to become a CBS correspondent by the time he is 35. Glover is also interested in news room management and teaching journalism.

“I would like to be able to mentor people and help them find their path,” he said. “I believe teaching will help me do that.”

About Author

Camille Brown

University of Miami middle linebacker Shaquille Quarterman’s ultimate goal has always been the same: ...

Just one glance at Brad Kaaya throwing passes Tuesday after the University of Miami’s first spring f ...

Yes, the Hurricanes’ uncertainty at quarterback has created some uneasiness, as Mark Richt told me r ...

Senior guards Adrienne Motley and Jessica Thomas sat slumped over on the Watsco Center floor late Mo ...

Spring has sprung for the University of Miami football program. Practice, closed to the public, had ...

Sir James Galway, Distinguished Presidential Scholar, inspires flute students with his artistry and ...

Activist and community organizer Alicia Garza stresses the need for a richness of ideas to help solv ...

UM physicist studies the unexpected consequences of sub-second delays on fast-moving data systems ...

The world renown flautist joins the Frost School of Music ...

A fluid multi-platform exhibition examines the impacts of climate change through art, research, medi ...

The No. 37 Miami women's tennis team will head north to take on Boston College Friday at 1 p.m. ...

Miami head volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara is excited to announce the dates for the 2 ...

Briadam Herrera picked up the third All-America honor of his career Thursday with a fifth-place fini ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame will hold the 49th Annual UMSHoF Induction Banquet on Tu ...

Football players Braxton Berrios and Demetrius Jackson, soccer player Phallon Tullis-Joyce, cross co ...