UMTV supervisor ‘polished’ on air

While some communication students struggle to find work after they graduate from college, senior Julian Glover does not worry.

With previous internships at Fox and CBS under his belt, Glover now works at WFOR CBS in Miami as an associate producer every Friday to Sunday from 2 p.m. to midnight.

While working as a national desk intern in New York for CBS this past summer, Glover decided to look at job openings at CBS in Miami. When he saw an associate producer position opening, he immediately sent his resume.

After calling CBS many times, Glover finally got an interview when he came back to Miami, and the rest is history.

As associate producer Glover stacks the show, fills out the rundown and also helps write the script for the show.

“I do whatever needs to be done to make the newscast go on and off the air smoothly,” Glover said.

Glover, 20, majors in broadcast journalism and political science with a minor in sociology.

When not in class, Glover is the station manager of UMTV and is in charge of the executive board, coordinating coverage, supervising the eight different UMTV shows and making sure the production level of the shows are as high as possible.

Senior Cristian Benavides, who works as an executive producer for Uni Miami, a show featured on UMTV, thinks highly of Glover.

“I think what is really admirable about Julian is not only does he set an example for UMTV, but during his time as station manager, he has made the organization better,” he said. “We could not have asked for a better leader.”

During his first few semesters, Glover had trouble deciding whether he wanted to go into print journalism or media management. Once he anchored and reported for the shows Newsvision and UMTV Today on UMTV, UM’s cable television station, he knew broadcast journalism was for him.

Professor Barton, the faculty advisor for NewsVision, believes that Glover is well beyond his years as an broadcast journalist.

“His on-air skills are incredibly polished for a college student. He has been an anchor on NewsVision for three semesters,” he said. “We only choose the best, which says a lot about his on air skills.”

Although Glover does not not know where his career may take him, he is determined to become a CBS correspondent by the time he is 35. Glover is also interested in news room management and teaching journalism.

“I would like to be able to mentor people and help them find their path,” he said. “I believe teaching will help me do that.”

Camille Brown

It’s one thing for a player who’s projected to go in the first two rounds of the NFL Draft to turn p ...

Miami coach Jim Larranaga and his staff spent recent practices pushing his players to whip the ball ...

The University of Miami confirmed in a written release Sunday that starting cornerback Malek Young s ...

Four days had passed since his University of Miami basketball team squandered a 13-point second half ...

Thirty high school English teachers from Brazil are spending six weeks at UM in a new skill-building ...

The No. 25/23 Miami men's basketball team shot a sizzling 57.6 percent from the field in pullin ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team picked up its third straight win in eight days ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-2) closed out its opening weekend with a 5-2 loss ...

With the help of dominating victories and dramatic comebacks, the No. 19 Miami women's tennis t ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) returns to action on Sunday, as it travels to N ...