CrossFit club pushes members in rigorous workouts

Canes CrossFit co-founder Noah Ohlsen does a “skin the cat” during Wednesday morning’s WOD focusing on abdominals. Cayla Nimmo // Photo Editor 

While students in other on-campus organizations have relaxing weekly meetings, the students in the Canes CrossFit club struggle to catch their breath before beginning the next phase of their daily exercise routine.

Canes CrossFit offers students opportunities to engage in a challenging routine, performing several high-intensity workouts that can potentially change their fitness lifestyle.

Junior Noah Ohlsen, a president of CrossFit, said he believes that CrossFit is successful because it becomes part of the day’s routine.

“Simply put, you will be doing new and exciting exercises every day at a butt-kicking pace that will incorporate your whole body and translate over into your everyday life,” he said.

Ohlsen works with co-president Dylan Matlitsky to ensure that each club member is enjoying the CrossFit experience and reaping the benefits that they have experienced. It is because of these benefits that the boys started the club. According to Ohlsen, CrossFit is not just a club but a way of life. The regimen requires that students think about their diet, their level of physical activity and other health choices.

“The by-the-book definition of CrossFit is ‘constantly varied, functional movements performed at a high intensity,” Ohlsen said.

It isn’t easy. Each day, two trainers construct a new workout of the day (WOD) focusing on different muscle groups expected to cause muscle soreness for participants of all levels.

All members in the class, however, undergo the same routine. The workouts last about an hour.

Before the muscles can begin to cramp, members set individual goals, and as a team strive to help one another achieve these goals. The workouts are geared toward improving participants’ strength, stamina, agility and flexibility.

Sophomore Mary Gustafson enjoyed the team dynamic of CrossFit as motivation to test her physical limits.

“The team aspect is great because it pushes you harder than you can push yourself and gives the club a slightly competitive edge,” she said.

Classes remain small with about 10 members per trainer. This small class size helps ensure each person performs the WOD with correct form to gain maximum benefits.

CrossFit’s goal is to push members to their peak physical condition.

Students exercise with other gym members, with classes varying in age and experience.

Interested students can take free trial classes that allow students to determine whether the CrossFit intensity level is right for them. Students must become Peak 360 members in order to participate, but the gym offers UM CrossFit students a discounted rate.

Whitney Sommerfeldt

A bunch of Miami Hurricane youngsters — and one former Gator-turned-Cane — made the University of Mi ...

Arkansas State University followed through with its threat. ASU on Friday afternoon filed a lawsuit ...

A UM appeals committee has modified the athletic department’s rules restricting departing quarterbac ...

The University of Miami basketball team was unable to overcome Virginia’s pack-line defense in a 59- ...

Even in signing a strong overall class, UM lost out on five defensive targets on National Signing Da ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

A panel of University of Miami faculty talked about the impacts of climate change during a meeting o ...

The No. 25 University of Miami women's golf team heads to New Orleans this Sunday to compete in ...

It was the 25th and final University of Miami Opening Day for an emotional Jim Morris but the first ...

The University of Miami women's golf team moved to No. 25 in the latest Golfweek.com rankings t ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team dropped a 4-2 decision at No. 12 Oklahoma State Saturday. ...

The Hurricanes fell to the Orange, 62-55, at the Watsco Center. ...