CrossFit club pushes members in rigorous workouts

Canes CrossFit co-founder Noah Ohlsen does a “skin the cat” during Wednesday morning’s WOD focusing on abdominals. Cayla Nimmo // Photo Editor 

While students in other on-campus organizations have relaxing weekly meetings, the students in the Canes CrossFit club struggle to catch their breath before beginning the next phase of their daily exercise routine.

Canes CrossFit offers students opportunities to engage in a challenging routine, performing several high-intensity workouts that can potentially change their fitness lifestyle.

Junior Noah Ohlsen, a president of CrossFit, said he believes that CrossFit is successful because it becomes part of the day’s routine.

“Simply put, you will be doing new and exciting exercises every day at a butt-kicking pace that will incorporate your whole body and translate over into your everyday life,” he said.

Ohlsen works with co-president Dylan Matlitsky to ensure that each club member is enjoying the CrossFit experience and reaping the benefits that they have experienced. It is because of these benefits that the boys started the club. According to Ohlsen, CrossFit is not just a club but a way of life. The regimen requires that students think about their diet, their level of physical activity and other health choices.

“The by-the-book definition of CrossFit is ‘constantly varied, functional movements performed at a high intensity,” Ohlsen said.

It isn’t easy. Each day, two trainers construct a new workout of the day (WOD) focusing on different muscle groups expected to cause muscle soreness for participants of all levels.

All members in the class, however, undergo the same routine. The workouts last about an hour.

Before the muscles can begin to cramp, members set individual goals, and as a team strive to help one another achieve these goals. The workouts are geared toward improving participants’ strength, stamina, agility and flexibility.

Sophomore Mary Gustafson enjoyed the team dynamic of CrossFit as motivation to test her physical limits.

“The team aspect is great because it pushes you harder than you can push yourself and gives the club a slightly competitive edge,” she said.

Classes remain small with about 10 members per trainer. This small class size helps ensure each person performs the WOD with correct form to gain maximum benefits.

CrossFit’s goal is to push members to their peak physical condition.

Students exercise with other gym members, with classes varying in age and experience.

Interested students can take free trial classes that allow students to determine whether the CrossFit intensity level is right for them. Students must become Peak 360 members in order to participate, but the gym offers UM CrossFit students a discounted rate.

Whitney Sommerfeldt

View photos of teenage recruits being taught by UM legends at Paradise Camp Saturday, July 22, 2017. ...

Mark Richt’s weekend began with a bunch of ninth- and 10th-grade recruits on Friday at a University ...

The name conjures images of tranquil waters, lush palm trees and cool breezes. The faces conjure ima ...

A heap of preseason accolades are being showered daily on the University of Miami football players. ...

James Jones, who starred at Hialeah American High School, the University of Miami and was a part of ...

Looking back on 15 years of the University of Miami Business Plan Competition, hosted by the School ...

Read the latest entries from UM students who are spending part or all of their summer visiting diffe ...

Value in the Era of Analytics ...

Summer Creative Writing Camp Inspires Young Writers to Release Their Emotions Onto the Page. ...

Gomez, an expert on human values and attitudes in post-Castro Cuba, will serve as interim director o ...