CrossFit club pushes members in rigorous workouts

Canes CrossFit co-founder Noah Ohlsen does a “skin the cat” during Wednesday morning’s WOD focusing on abdominals. Cayla Nimmo // Photo Editor 

While students in other on-campus organizations have relaxing weekly meetings, the students in the Canes CrossFit club struggle to catch their breath before beginning the next phase of their daily exercise routine.

Canes CrossFit offers students opportunities to engage in a challenging routine, performing several high-intensity workouts that can potentially change their fitness lifestyle.

Junior Noah Ohlsen, a president of CrossFit, said he believes that CrossFit is successful because it becomes part of the day’s routine.

“Simply put, you will be doing new and exciting exercises every day at a butt-kicking pace that will incorporate your whole body and translate over into your everyday life,” he said.

Ohlsen works with co-president Dylan Matlitsky to ensure that each club member is enjoying the CrossFit experience and reaping the benefits that they have experienced. It is because of these benefits that the boys started the club. According to Ohlsen, CrossFit is not just a club but a way of life. The regimen requires that students think about their diet, their level of physical activity and other health choices.

“The by-the-book definition of CrossFit is ‘constantly varied, functional movements performed at a high intensity,” Ohlsen said.

It isn’t easy. Each day, two trainers construct a new workout of the day (WOD) focusing on different muscle groups expected to cause muscle soreness for participants of all levels.

All members in the class, however, undergo the same routine. The workouts last about an hour.

Before the muscles can begin to cramp, members set individual goals, and as a team strive to help one another achieve these goals. The workouts are geared toward improving participants’ strength, stamina, agility and flexibility.

Sophomore Mary Gustafson enjoyed the team dynamic of CrossFit as motivation to test her physical limits.

“The team aspect is great because it pushes you harder than you can push yourself and gives the club a slightly competitive edge,” she said.

Classes remain small with about 10 members per trainer. This small class size helps ensure each person performs the WOD with correct form to gain maximum benefits.

CrossFit’s goal is to push members to their peak physical condition.

Students exercise with other gym members, with classes varying in age and experience.

Interested students can take free trial classes that allow students to determine whether the CrossFit intensity level is right for them. Students must become Peak 360 members in order to participate, but the gym offers UM CrossFit students a discounted rate.

Whitney Sommerfeldt

University of Miami running back Mark Walton was rolling — until he got rolled on, or stepped on. Wa ...

University of Miami safety Sheldrick Redwine got to wear the gaudy (but beautiful to Canes and their ...

This just in: University of Miami at Florida State will kick off in Tallahassee at 3:30 p.m. on Oct. ...

For those concerned about the apparent on-field struggles of graduate transfer Dee Delaney, an All-A ...

This week’s Top 25 college-affiliated football polls, released Sunday afternoon, agreed on how to ta ...

UM students fan out across South Florida to help local neighborhoods rebound from the impacts of Hur ...

Classes resume on the Coral Gables campus after the removal of 4 million pounds of landscape debris. ...

Students living in residential housing are returning to campus and classes with renewed resolve. ...

UM’s student-run ’Canes Emergency Response Team puts their training into action to assist with recov ...

UM students recount how they rode out the storm called Hurricane Irma. ...

University of Miami women's golfer Dewi Weber wasted little time this season in adding to her a ...

The University of Miami's football game at Florida State on Oct. 7 will kick off at 3:30 p.m. E ...

Walton rushes for career-high 204 yards and Rosier has four touchdowns in Miami's comeback vict ...

The University of Miami volleyball team outlasted Virginia, 3-2, in Atlantic Coast Conference action ...

Junior golfer Dewi Weber highlighted second round action for the University of Miami women's go ...