Cleaning service helps students stay sanitary

Freshman Alec Roth rarely did his own laundry before coming to the University of Miami.

But after several weeks of living in Stanford Residential College, Roth found himself struggling to keep up with his ever-growing piles of dirty clothes.

His solution was to hire Crystal Clean Miami LLC, a Miami-based laundry and room cleaning service that caters to college students living in the dorms.

“I never really did it at home and I tried to do it by myself and it didn’t really work,” he said. “It was just much easier this way.”

Crystal Clean was founded by Eric Marti, a senior at Miami Dade College, and Thomas Silva, a junior at Florida International University.

The business currently serves students at the University of Miami and Florida International University.

“We saw a big window where we could cater to a lot of students,” Marti said.

A load of laundry costs between $20 to $30, depending on how soon a student needs it done. Cleaning a room runs from $40 to $60. The company also offers deals for frequent clients and for referring customers to the service.

Roth has also hired the company to clean his room as well.

“They’ve been really great,” he said. “The room cleaning is for a really good price.”

Marti was inspired to start the business after a friend founded a similar company at Cornell University. He brought in Silva to help him develop the company.

“He was a friend I could trust,” Marti said. “You can’t just pick anyone as a business partner.”

Marti and Silva spent the summer talking to other local cleaning and laundry companies and obtaining supplies. Crystal Clean officially launched at the start of this semester.

At UM, the duo started at Hecht and Stanford Residential Colleges and are now expanding to the other residential colleges and the University Village.

“What’s happening now is that we’ve become so busy that we have started looking for more help,” Marti said.

The pair brought on Veronica Delgado, a sophomore at Miami Dade, to help with the workload.

“I like to help them out, and the fact that I’m getting paid for it also helps,” she said.

Delgado also handles any female clients, but almost 90 percent of their clientele is male, Marti said.

Crystal Clean currently serves about 40 to 60 students a month and brings in between $500 to $700 every month in revenue.

Marti and Silva eventually hope to expand their company across South Florida.

“Our overhead is very minimal,” Marti said. “We try to do as much as we can by ourselves.”

Alysha Khan

Online Editor

6 COMMENTS ON THIS POST To “Cleaning service helps students stay sanitary”

1. Leroy Jenkins says:

Wow, time for kids to stop wasting their parents money and learn some independence. There’s a free laundry room literally in the building. It didn’t really work? Grow up and make it work.

2. Crystal Clean is widely used by students that don’t have time to do their own laundry or room cleaning due to studying or athletics. The convenience of having your laundry picked up at your room, cleaned, ironed, folded and delivered in less than two hours is why students have been using us and continuing to chose us over competitors. We offer biweekly specials and referral discounts. Call, text or email for 50% off for your first time using Crystal Clean. (305)484-4400 & Crystal.Clean@aol.com

3. 305law says:

Is this a joke? Lazy, privileged children.

4. Pam says:

On time and they smelled amazing***

5. Pam Perez says:

I have used Crystal Clean, and highly recommend them. Eric delivered my clothesed amazing! Thanks Eric and company!! on time and they smell

6. An epileptic three-toed sloth says:

Are you so f—ing lazy that you can’t even do your own lauhbgydyte3esdg/.’

University of Miami football great Cortez Kennedy, a Pro Football Hall of Famer remembered for his w ...

The Hurricanes are still alive in their quest to make it to the NCAA Division I Baseball Tournament. ...

When Edgar Michelangeli stepped up to bat on Saturday, there was pressure. So much pressure. There w ...

On a day when the newest University of Miami football players – including heralded prep quarterback ...

How much does 44 years of history weigh? That is what these Miami Hurricanes baseball players carry ...

Victor Oquendo, BSC ’09, is following in his parents’ footsteps. ...

The Rosenstiel School’s final lecture of the 2017 Sea Secrets series focused on using science diplom ...

Researchers believe they have found a new way to monitor the intensity and location of hurricanes fr ...

The University of Miami welcomed nearly 3,800 new graduates into the UM alumni family during six cer ...

Speakers urge UM’s graduating students to use their skills and talents to make a difference. ...

Joe Gomez drove in the winning run after Andrew Cabezas pitched 6.1 no-hit innings of relief. ...

University of Miami women's golf sophomore Dewi Weber was selected as a Second Team All-America ...

Miami's Estela Perez-Somarriba will take on No. 64 Ana Oparenovic Wednesday at 8 a.m., while Si ...

Dee Delaney is eligible to play immediately as a graduate transfer from The Citadel, where he was na ...

Joe Gomez played the role of Hurricane hero Tuesday , lifting sixth-seeded Miami to a 6-5 win over 1 ...