Active broadcaster pursues broad passions

The University of Miami often preaches to students that college consists of more than just classes.
Sophomore AJ Ricketts has taken that message to heart. The broadcast journalism major from Pensacola, Fla., runs for the varsity cross-country team, takes the helm as the  Student Government press secretary, broadcasts sporting events for WVUM, writes for the Miami Hurricane, broadcasts on UMTV, participates in the Student Athlete Advisory Committee and maintains a high GPA.
“When I’m not in class, I’m doing an activity,” Ricketts said. “Extracurriculars are like another classroom for me because I learn so much from them.”

Some days, Ricketts will have practice for cross-country at 5:30 a.m., then head out to shoot video for UMTV, followed by three hours of class. After that, he will head to the Knight Sports Complex to do commentary for a volleyball game.

“It can get crazy, but I do the things because I have a passion for them,” he said.  “Some of them will help me in the future, some of them I just do because I enjoy the people around me.”

Consistency isn’t a part of Ricketts’s life. His schedule changes every day as different organizations he’s in have events. But, he enjoys the spontaneity of his day-to-day life.

“It’s nice not to get into a routine,” he said. “It’s kind of a real world simulation and gives me a taste of life after college.”

Whether it’s his track teammates or his fellow WVUM broadcasters, Ricketts has impressed many like Alessandria San Roman, SG executive secretary, with his work ethic.

“I don’t think they are many students who work as hard as AJ,” she said. “He makes me want to work more.”

Ricketts’ ambition is to have a career in broadcasting. He has done a number of games for WVUM and continues to work on his craft. He also works for UMTV by creating packages for Sports Desk.

“AJ knows his stuff and never really gets flustered on air,” said Chip Brierre, a WVUM broadcaster. “He just works hard and prepares very well. He’s one of the best broadcasters on WVUM.”

While he enjoys all of his activities, Ricketts’ first love is running. In addition to being part of the cross-country team in the fall, he also is on the track team in the spring. He would like to coach one day while having a career in broadcasting.

“Running is something I’ve been doing my whole life, and I want to do it no matter what happens in the future,” Ricketts said.

About Author

Alexander Gonzalez Assistant Editor

And another one... The stars just keep committing. A few hours after Miami Southridge’s nationally h ...

Want an early look at the incoming shooting guard who has a chance to become Miami’s best basketball ...

The University of Miami quarterback corps is deep in numbers but shallow in experience. The battle c ...

Freshmen anyone? Mark Richt sounds like he’s liking these three early-enrollee true freshmen a whole ...

The University of Miami completed Day Three of spring football on Saturday, and as soon as practice ...

More than 250 participants met at the UM Fieldhouse at the Watsco Center to learn more from industry ...

Redshirt freshman diver David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men’s 10-meter plat ...

UM junior Gina Panarese was surprised on campus Thursday by the Ellen DeGeneres show and asked to pa ...

A conversation with Belén Garijo and Felicia Marie Knaul. ...

Nova Southeastern University’s Jacqueline A. Travisano will be UM’s Executive Vice President for Bus ...

Highlights from the 2016-17 Miami men's basketball season ...

Miami fell to No. 34 University of Louisville, 4-1, Sunday at the Bass-Rudd Tennis Center. ...

Facing its 10th top-30 opponent in 13 matches this season, the No. 37 Miami women's tennis team ...

Junior lefthander Michael Mediavilla was his vintage self, Miami's offense came through again, ...

Miami redshirt freshman David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men's 10-meter ...