Want to secede? Go right ahead

While walking through the Breezeway, I heard somebody ask his friend outside of the Rat, “Hey, did you hear about Texas trying to secede from the U.S.?”

His friend slurred out the response, “Good. We should secede from Obama’s socialist country.”

It took me a while to wrap my head around this exchange of stupidity, because admittedly, this was the first I had ever heard of it.

What the two students were talking about is a petition on the White House’s “We The People” website where anybody can start an initiative, and if it gains more than 25,000 electronic signatures, the White House has to release an official response to it.

The petition to “peacefully grant the State of Texas to withdraw from the United States of America and create its own new government” has gained more than 114,000 signatures, making it by far the most successful petition on the site.

Too many people have been watching the new “Lincoln” movie, because secession is in the air. There have been petitions filed from all 50 states to secede, and in response to the original Texas petition, Austin and El Paso have asked to secede from Texas.

Allow this to be an open letter to anyone who has supported the petition: Don’t let the door hit you on your way out. If you think that you’re better off on your own, then prove us all wrong. To the rest of the country you look insane. Asking to secede from the U.S. because Mitt Romney wasn’t elected is like trying to emancipate yourself from your parents because you didn’t get a pony for your birthday.

Supporters of the petition point to its 114,000 signatures as a reason for legitimacy. But again, anyone can start a petition on this website for absolutely anything. The petition states that Texas maintains a balanced budget, and that if Texas was an independent entity, it would have the 15th largest economy in the world.

If anyone honestly believes Texas’ economy could succeed without the backing of the U.S. government, they need to get their heads checked.

Texas should be honored to be part of this nation. We are the greatest nation on Earth, and we will continue to be for a long time to come. We are the superpower. You know the saying, “When America sneezes, the whole world catches a cold?” Nobody has ever said that about Texas.

And if those in Texas are expecting some great plea from the country of, “no, please baby, don’t go,” they shouldn’t hold their breath.

So to all of those in the great state of Texas who have to share their state limits with such morons, I’m sorry. And to anyone signing the petition, please feel free to leave whenever you’d like.

Robert Pursell is a senior majoring in journalism. 

Robert Pursell

10 COMMENTS ON THIS POST To “Want to secede? Go right ahead”

1. "Ludwig von Mises" says:

Ash,
    You’re right only a small percentage of people have signed this petition. I just like to look at things in a relative manner. Are more people now more willing than before to secede from the Union? And if so why?
    Our founding fathers would be disappointed with secession? Our founding fathers weren’t “giving up” when “the British was on our ass”? I believe you’re referring to the same founding fathers who brought about armed rebellion in order to in fact secede from the British nation. The founding fathers weren’t opposed to secession, they embodied it. No people should be forced to be attached to a political and governmental system that they want no part of or oppresses them.
    -ML

“…if it should become the great interest of those nations to separate from this, if their happiness should depend on it so strongly as to induce them to go through that convulsion, why should the Atlantic States dread it? But especially why should we, their present inhabitants, take side in such a question?” -Thomas Jefferson (1803)

2. Ash says:

Well I honestly don’t think a petition of only 114,000 is enough to determine such a big step. There are over 300 million people in the US meaning only .038% of the population wants this. Also a lot of the signatures come from people that don’t live in the state. So saying that so many people are viewing it as a better option is completely false. To further prove my point, say each state had 144,000 signatures and each signature is from a different person that is 7,200,000 only 2.4% of the US population. That is a very low number in my view. I personally think the entire thing is stupid and our founding fathers would be disappointed in those who agree with it, and yeah they would probably be disappointed in our country now for how it is now. People are just giving up and saying screw it, screw the people that have fought for our freedom, screw everything that our forefathers have done for us. You didn’t see our fathers giving up when the British was on our ass, you didn’t see the US give up in all the other wars that have followed, you didn’t see people give up during the last recession and make their own countries then. People are just looking for the easy way out than going out and actually trying to make things better for the country that has given us so many opportunities. I have so many friends that have lived in different countries and all of them say that they couldn’t wait to be home in the US.

3. "Ludwig von Mises" says:

Ash,
    So the established politician (TX governor Rick Perry) isn’t into seceding from the political system he benefits from? Crazy thought.
    You are right that it is a cost benefit analysis in seeing if the benefits of secession outweigh the costs. Short term start up costs might seem trivial in the savings the state gets when citizens no longer pay Federal Income Taxes and instead invest that in the state’s economy and what not. The real question is at what point does the Federal government create such a burden that states and more and more people view secession as the preferable choice over staying in the union? Once the costs of being in the Union outweigh the costs of forming your own sovereign state I guess.
    -ML

4. Ash says:

Yeah just going to throw this out there. You know the governor isn’t even behind this right? Also yeah it may thrive but nobody is thinking of what the cost would be to start their own country. They would have to set up their own military and buy their own military equipment, they have to establish their own government and pay the people that run it, they have to establish their own programs and pay for those, on top of so many other factors. Nobody is thinking of that. Then people will be wondering why their taxes are going up.

5. Joan Johnson says:

Please go.

6. Hey Ludwig, not only would Texas thrive if they could break away from your brave new world but within a few years people from the other 49 would be tunneling to get into Texas and out of the animal farm, much they way your ancestors did when they excaped East Germany!

7. CharlesINcHARGE says:

Actually, you are a bit late to the game. That happened the week of the election, so your claim that “too many people have been watching Lincoln” cannot be accurate…

8. Alisha says:

So sad to see what true indoctrination does. Pure denial. As our country is turning into a communist society all of the truly uneducated (American history or the governmental history of other countries) are hatefully backing this formation!
    The saddest part is the only thing you can do in response to our outcry,at the loss of our CONSTITUTION & FREEDOM, is be hateful, spiteful and ignorant.
    I still find it so hard to believe the lack of reality of what is occurring! Worst is the sad fact that we fought so hard to find land where we could be free from the oppressive England and now we have generations of progressive people pushing for the very things that we lost lives for to break free!
    It only makes sense for people who want communist or socialist regime should LEAVE and go to China or Russia and we will Stay because we fought for this land to be free!!!
    The problem is the ignorant are breeding & out numbering the people who truly understand their freedom is being lost through socialist laws being implemented daily.
    Well honestly I don’t even need to try and help progressives understand the consequences of their actions because you won’t have any jobs, food or housing soon and then your the ones who will be crying over the “pony”. True Constitutionalist’s see the future and are trying to protect themselves from going down with the progressive’s, but sadly we are met with name calling and violence. WOW so much hate…why? The urge for some people to CONTROL others is a sad sad narcissistic need. Good luck to you I really think you’re going to need it!

9. James says:

Well at first I was going to say something along the lines of “you’re comparing such a fundamental concept as choosing to secede from your country to not getting a pony for your birthday?” Whether or not I happen to agree with your views of secession, an incongruous metaphor is an exceedingly stupid way of making your point.

Then I noticed you’re a senior majoring in journalism, and instead of a scathing review simply recommend a better foundation for your arguments. Stay objective and don’t let your emotions turn you into another bleating idiot. Finger pointing and “You believe that? Well you’re just stupid!” arguments don’t convince anyone.

10. "Ludwig von Mises" says:

“If anyone honestly believes Texas’ economy could succeed without the backing of the U.S. government, they need to get their heads checked.”

Dear Mr. Pursell,

How is it that Texas’ economy is so dependent on the backing of the U.S. government? Given the economic prosperity of the state I think the U.S. would be worse off should Texas leave the union.

But of course what matters most is that the people of Texas (and people in general) have a government that protects their rights.

Sincerely,
    ML

The unopened Christmas gift that University of Miami defensive coordinator Manny Diaz recently spoke ...

The University of Miami is in conversations about playing the University of Alabama to kick off the ...