Getting into the holiday spirit

The holiday season is here, and whether you’re planning on pre-gaming before going caroling or unwrapping just one present on Christmas Eve, be sure to check out these three drink recipes to help you get into the holiday spirit. For more ideas on holiday drinks, be sure to do a quick Google search.

Coquito

Coquito, similar to the traditional eggnog with rum, is all the rage in Hispanic households during the holiday season. Check out this recipe from allrecipes.com.

Ingredients:
•       2 15-ounce cans of cream of coconut
•       2 14-ounce cans of condensed milk
•       6 ounces white rum (use less if you prefer)
•       1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
•       1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
•       1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
•       1 teaspoon coconut (or vanilla) extract
Preparation:
1. Mix all ingredients in blender until smooth.
2. Refrigerate for about an hour before serving. Serve cold.

The Grinch

Yep, you guessed it. The Grinch, a featured drink on itthing.com, is named after the classic character. Even though it’s not as grumpy as its notorious green namesake, the drink does contain a variety of sweet flavors.

Ingredients:
•       2 oz Midori
•       1/2 oz lemon juice
•       1 tsp simple syrup
•       1 maraschino cherry
Preparation:
1.      Pour the ingredients into a cocktail shaker with ice.
2.      Shake well.
3.      Strain into a chilled cocktail glass.

4. Put the cherry on top.

Candy Cane

The Candy Cane, a dessert drink, contains berry, chocolate and peppermint flavors. This is another favorite from itthing.com, which has a perfect recipe for the delightful drink.

Ingredients:
•       3/4 oz SKYY Berry vodka
•       3/4 oz Peppermint Schnapps
•       3/4 oz white Crème de Cacao
•       1/4 oz grenadine
•       Half and half
•       Soda water
Preparation:
1.      Pour the vodka, Peppermint Schnapps, white Creme de Cacao and
grenadine into a cocktail shaker with ice.
2.      Shake well.
3.      Pour into a cocktail glass rimmed with crushed peppermint candy.
4.      Fill with half and half.
5.      Top with a splash of soda water.
6.      Rim the glass with crushed candy canes or other peppermint candy,
using the Schnapps or Crème de Cacao to wet the rim.

Stephanie Parra

Editor-in-chief

Could the once forlorn University of Miami be closer than some think to extending that national-reco ...

A few media notes on a Thursday: • As has been the case most years, ABC has decided to televise the ...

Most of the University of Miami student body is on Summer break; but the Hurricanes football team is ...

University of Miami football great Cortez Kennedy, a Pro Football Hall of Famer remembered for his w ...

The Hurricanes are still alive in their quest to make it to the NCAA Division I Baseball Tournament. ...

A new study reveals that mindfulness training, but not relaxation training, benefits college athlete ...

Frenk delivered his inaugural lecture Wednesday, officially joining the most prestigious group of Me ...

Victor Oquendo, BSC ’09, is following in his parents’ footsteps. ...

The Rosenstiel School’s final lecture of the 2017 Sea Secrets series focused on using science diplom ...

Researchers believe they have found a new way to monitor the intensity and location of hurricanes fr ...

Five members of the University of Maimi track and field team advanced on Day 1 of the NCAA East Prel ...

No. 40 Estela Perez-Somarriba took down No. 27 Arianne Hartono of Ole Miss, 6-4, 6-3, Thursday morni ...

Jonathan Keller and Amanda Gale of the University of Miami track and field program were named to the ...

The University of Miami's Week 3 game at in-state rival Florida State on Sept. 16 will be telev ...

Due to inclement weather, the ACC Championship has adjusted the scheduled for games and Miami will n ...