Getting into the holiday spirit

The holiday season is here, and whether you’re planning on pre-gaming before going caroling or unwrapping just one present on Christmas Eve, be sure to check out these three drink recipes to help you get into the holiday spirit. For more ideas on holiday drinks, be sure to do a quick Google search.

Coquito

Coquito, similar to the traditional eggnog with rum, is all the rage in Hispanic households during the holiday season. Check out this recipe from allrecipes.com.

Ingredients:
•       2 15-ounce cans of cream of coconut
•       2 14-ounce cans of condensed milk
•       6 ounces white rum (use less if you prefer)
•       1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
•       1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
•       1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
•       1 teaspoon coconut (or vanilla) extract
Preparation:
1. Mix all ingredients in blender until smooth.
2. Refrigerate for about an hour before serving. Serve cold.

The Grinch

Yep, you guessed it. The Grinch, a featured drink on itthing.com, is named after the classic character. Even though it’s not as grumpy as its notorious green namesake, the drink does contain a variety of sweet flavors.

Ingredients:
•       2 oz Midori
•       1/2 oz lemon juice
•       1 tsp simple syrup
•       1 maraschino cherry
Preparation:
1.      Pour the ingredients into a cocktail shaker with ice.
2.      Shake well.
3.      Strain into a chilled cocktail glass.

4. Put the cherry on top.

Candy Cane

The Candy Cane, a dessert drink, contains berry, chocolate and peppermint flavors. This is another favorite from itthing.com, which has a perfect recipe for the delightful drink.

Ingredients:
•       3/4 oz SKYY Berry vodka
•       3/4 oz Peppermint Schnapps
•       3/4 oz white Crème de Cacao
•       1/4 oz grenadine
•       Half and half
•       Soda water
Preparation:
1.      Pour the vodka, Peppermint Schnapps, white Creme de Cacao and
grenadine into a cocktail shaker with ice.
2.      Shake well.
3.      Pour into a cocktail glass rimmed with crushed peppermint candy.
4.      Fill with half and half.
5.      Top with a splash of soda water.
6.      Rim the glass with crushed candy canes or other peppermint candy,
using the Schnapps or Crème de Cacao to wet the rim.

Stephanie Parra

Editor-in-chief

It was midweek when Miami leading receiver Braxton Berrios wistfully spoke of his four years as a Hu ...

Eli Rosier will be back where he belongs Saturday, where he feels most at home. He will be at a foot ...

The 11th-ranked University of Miami men’s basketball team remained undefeated with a 90-59 victory o ...

They remain undefeated — but still untested. The 11th-ranked University of Miami men’s basketball te ...

It has inspired T-shirts and a Migos-style hype song. Soon, fans will have a beer brewed in honor of ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

A cohort of five religious leaders from Miami, including a rabbi and imam from the University of Mia ...

Hollywood actress and star of the hit BET series Being Mary Jane gets real about gender, race and co ...

The annual development agreement meeting is a time for the city and University to share information ...

Here are three matchups to watch in Saturday's Senior Day game between the No. 3 Canes and Virg ...

The University of Miami volleyball team produced some late-match magic Friday night to outlast an in ...

Miami's seniors will play their final home game at Hard Rock Stadium when the Canes face Virgin ...

Six Hurricanes were in double figures as the Hurricanes improved to 3-0 on the season. ...

The University of Miami rowing team introduced the newest members of the Hurricanes rowing program o ...