Getting into the holiday spirit

The holiday season is here, and whether you’re planning on pre-gaming before going caroling or unwrapping just one present on Christmas Eve, be sure to check out these three drink recipes to help you get into the holiday spirit. For more ideas on holiday drinks, be sure to do a quick Google search.

Coquito

Coquito, similar to the traditional eggnog with rum, is all the rage in Hispanic households during the holiday season. Check out this recipe from allrecipes.com.

Ingredients:
•       2 15-ounce cans of cream of coconut
•       2 14-ounce cans of condensed milk
•       6 ounces white rum (use less if you prefer)
•       1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
•       1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
•       1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
•       1 teaspoon coconut (or vanilla) extract
Preparation:
1. Mix all ingredients in blender until smooth.
2. Refrigerate for about an hour before serving. Serve cold.

The Grinch

Yep, you guessed it. The Grinch, a featured drink on itthing.com, is named after the classic character. Even though it’s not as grumpy as its notorious green namesake, the drink does contain a variety of sweet flavors.

Ingredients:
•       2 oz Midori
•       1/2 oz lemon juice
•       1 tsp simple syrup
•       1 maraschino cherry
Preparation:
1.      Pour the ingredients into a cocktail shaker with ice.
2.      Shake well.
3.      Strain into a chilled cocktail glass.

4. Put the cherry on top.

Candy Cane

The Candy Cane, a dessert drink, contains berry, chocolate and peppermint flavors. This is another favorite from itthing.com, which has a perfect recipe for the delightful drink.

Ingredients:
•       3/4 oz SKYY Berry vodka
•       3/4 oz Peppermint Schnapps
•       3/4 oz white Crème de Cacao
•       1/4 oz grenadine
•       Half and half
•       Soda water
Preparation:
1.      Pour the vodka, Peppermint Schnapps, white Creme de Cacao and
grenadine into a cocktail shaker with ice.
2.      Shake well.
3.      Pour into a cocktail glass rimmed with crushed peppermint candy.
4.      Fill with half and half.
5.      Top with a splash of soda water.
6.      Rim the glass with crushed candy canes or other peppermint candy,
using the Schnapps or Crème de Cacao to wet the rim.

Stephanie Parra

Editor-in-chief

A heap of preseason accolades are being showered daily on the University of Miami football players. ...

James Jones, who starred at Hialeah American High School, the University of Miami and was a part of ...

A classic good news/bad news scenerio arose for Miami Hurricanes football at the recent Atlantic Coa ...

The University of Miami football players are not the only ones getting preseason accolades. The guys ...

Defending national champ Clemson led all Atlantic Coast Conference schools Wednesday with five playe ...

Gomez, an expert on human values and attitudes in post-Castro Cuba, will serve as interim director o ...

The University of Miami announced the appointment of Cindy Munro as the new dean of the School of Nu ...

Read the latest entries from UM students who are spending part or all of their summer visiting diffe ...

University of Miami’s Office of Civic and Community Engagement harnesses technology to seek affordab ...

UM female scientists share some insight on women in science, science in Hollywood and how Wonder Wom ...