A word from the editor: 178 issues later

Walking around campus this week, I realized it’s changed.

Three and a half years ago, I joined The Miami Hurricane team as an unseasoned designer. When I first wandered through the forest green door into the newsroom, everything was unfamiliar – the people on the masthead, the fancy iMacs, the late-night deadlines.

Soon enough, my life became rooted amid the palm trees. I learned exactly which curved path to take to Memorial, the names of the trees in the arboretum and how to clean myself up for your run-of-the-mill Obama event. In the newsroom, picas and nut graphs became a second language.

But my college career – and my career at the paper – ushered in its fair share of mistakes. I should have, for instance, dedicated an ounce of effort to my environmental statistics course.

But mistakes are necessary. They’re how you grow. How you’re humbled. I needed to dream about egalitarianism to learn about my style of leadership. I needed to build a relationship with Miss Betty to realize that I should also prioritize schoolwork. I needed to make inexhaustible to-do lists to realize that we don’t have as much time as we think we do.

My advice to all of you? Make these mistakes. Do things that make you uncomfortable. Take risks. Think big. Ask questions. Take a queer literature course. Sit under a tree and write a poem. Go to a lecture you don’t understand about the Arab Spring. Carry around a Moleskine – or, say, a reporter’s notebook. And do a lot of scribbling.

Universities are paradigms for open mindedness, diverse dialogues and edgy research. They establish the discourse. But they don’t represent the infamous real world, where bills pile up on icy doorsteps. As students in this terminate microcommunity, we have an opportunity to shape the conversations about issues we care about.

So care about something. Don’t simply stumble blindly from year to year – be an active citizen of the university, of the world. Arm yourselves with the tools you need to think critically. You’re more than just a statistic – than one in seven billion, than a grade or an SAT score. And each one of you is privileged, because you’ve landed a spot at a premier university. Admit this privilege, harness it and – in the South Florida spirit – start making waves (and be willing to get in trouble).

On the same token, don’t define yourself by a label. Black, Iron Arrow, straight, Muslim – these words aren’t you. This language creates relationships based in hate, which are unsustainable. It ignores the nuances that differentiate you from the Jane Doe sitting caddy corner from you in your 10 a.m. linguistics class. It ignores the fact that you prefer your coffee black, and that you know all the words to – this is embarrassing – “Stronger (What Doesn’t Kill You).”

To those of you who were supportive through thick and thin, I wish you the best of luck. To our readers, stay informed. All of you changed me for the better, and I thank you.

As I walk back through that forest green door 178 issues later, I’ve come to understand that small things make me happy. Smudged newsprint. Crunchy peanut butter. Unmade beds.

A final nugget of knowledge: Find your passions – yes, plural – but don’t be afraid to hit the pause button every once and a while. Time doesn’t wait for you to catch up with it.

Allison Goodman is a senior majoring in ecosystem science and policy, and women’s and gender studies.

Allison Goodman

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “A word from the editor: 178 issues later”

Randy Ableman has built something special with his Miami Hurricanes diving program. Here’s why: Ther ...

Two days after the University of Miami football team played its spring game, coach Mark Richt stayed ...

The University of Miami’s most anticipated Atlantic Coast Conference baseball series of the season e ...

The University of Miami announced Sunday evening that sophomore safety Jeff James, Jr., has parted w ...

UM’s 2018 recruiting class, already regarded as the best in the country, added two more gems over th ...

The period of the first 100 days in office is a telling gauge for a president's full term in th ...

UM students, staff and faculty join the worldwide march to end men’s violence against women. ...

Greek Week at the University of Miami is committed to raising money and awareness for United Cerebra ...

Carlos Bustamante, a Presidential Distinguished Scholar, kicked off his series of lectures about gen ...

Edward Abraham, M.D., has been named Dean of the University of Miami Leonard M. Miller School of Med ...

University of Miami men's tennis team is set to start ACC Championship play Wednesday in Rome, ...

Malcolm Grant plays for Tajfun Sentjur in Slovenia ...

The University of Miami Department of Athletics continued to earn high praise with its student-athle ...

The University of Miami men's tennis match against Virginia Tech has been cancelled due to heav ...

The series finale between Miami and Florida State at Mark Light Field was cancelled due to inclement ...