Rally demonstrates support for Israel

The recent air strikes between Israel and Hamas have galvanized on-campus organizations to rally in support of Israel.

Canes for Israel, Chabad UM and Hillel responded to the renewed attacks in Gaza and Southern Israel with an unplanned rally near the Green this past Friday.

With the Israeli flag hung from palm trees as a backdrop, students from these organizations handed out flyers with the statement “200 rockets,” to help raise awareness about the fierce conflict in the region.

Hamas, Gaza’s freely elected government, has claimed responsibility for the hundreds of rockets that have been launched into Southern Israel during the past year.

In the last few weeks Gaza’s attacks, however, have intensified, leading Israel to retaliate with its own air strikes, which killed one of Hamas’ military commanders this past Wednesday.

Jona Farache, a freshman who just finished serving with the Israel Defense Forces (IDF), believes that an Israeli response was inevitable.

“You know, it’s about time,” he said. “The problem is, this terrorist organization is specifically targeting civilians. You can’t justify that.”

Ira Sheskin, a professor who specializes in the geopolitics of the Middle East, agrees with Farache.

“The only reason Israel is attacking is because they’re being attacked,” he said.

As Israel’s air strikes continue to affect the Gaza Strip, there are preparations for a potential ground invasion.

The Israeli Ministry of Defense has already approved the mobilization of up to 75,000 reservists to the Gaza border with 16,000 of the total number of reservists having been drafted, according to a report in the Wall Street Journal.

Sheskin hopes that this will be a deterring factor for Gaza’s continued rocket fire.

“If Israel doesn’t do something, a fifth of their population will be living in constant fear,” he said. “If they do do something, they will doubtlessly kill hundreds of civilians.”

Coupled with the concern for civilian casualties, students like senior Fawaz Mahmeed are also worried about the role of the media during wartime. As an Arab, he said that the media is not simply pro-Israel, but anti-Palestine.

“They show us as these people who are trying to attack and kill children,” Mahmeed said. “They show Hamas killing Israelis. Hamas launched the rockets only because they have been struggling for a number of years.”

For Farache, there are no alternatives left, and the only viable option is force.

“It sounds primitive to say, but sometimes it seems you may need to show them who’s boss again because if you don’t, our citizens will continue to live in shelters underground for weeks and months,” he said. “That is not humane.”

Mahmeed offered a different point of view.

“What’s not humane is taking people’s land and putting them in small areas without the necessities to progress,” he said.

Sheskin ultimately feels that peace is possible, but a compromise has to be reached.

“I have no doubt that if the Palestinians stop shooting, there’d be peace,” he said. “If the Israelis put down their arms, there’d be no Israel.”

Sam Abbassi

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Rally demonstrates support for Israel”

1. Ganesha akbar says:

Cluebat to Mahmeed: Americans no longer sympathize with these serial temper tantrums from perpetually-pampered Fakestinian Arabs.

Most NBA mock drafts had Miami Hurricanes guard Davon Reed going late in the second round of Thursda ...

University of Miami shooting guard Davon Reed will gather with friends and family in Ewing, New Jers ...

University of Miami great and Pro Football Hall of Famer Warren Sapp announced on Tuesday that he pl ...

The University of Miami continues to make a hard push for five-star point guard Immanuel Quickley of ...

The University of Miami’s 2018 football recruiting class, already ranked the best in the country by ...

UM female scientists share some insight on women in science, science in Hollywood and how Wonder Wom ...

Read the latest entries from UM students who are spending part or all of their summer visiting diffe ...

UM Student Affairs Advocacy Coordinator Heather Stevens has been awarded the William Leftwich Award ...

President Julio Frenk makes the case for collaboration at eMerge Americas. ...

UM College of Engineering Dean Jean-Pierre Bardet and alumnus Rony Abovitz share the stage in a disc ...

Two outgoing Miami student-athletes, Shakima Wimbley and Gracie Lachowecki, have officially been nam ...

Miami Deputy AD/SWA Jennifer Strawley has been named a member of the WBCA Board of Directors, as ann ...

The Atlantic Coast and Big Ten Conferences announced Monday, the University of Miami men's bask ...

Three members of the University of Miami men's tennis players have been selected as All-ACC Aca ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had four individuals selected to the 2017 Atlantic Co ...