News Briefs – 11/19

Quechua culture

The Quechua and Andean Studies Club is hosting Quechua Cultural Night at 7:15 p.m. Tuesday in the first-floor lounge of the University Center. The event will feature Andean music, games and food. Kuyayky, a popular and influential band in Andean folk music, will perform. Students can also learn new phrases in Quechua, the language of the Incas. Entrance is free.

Persepolis

The Middle Eastern Studies Society will host a screening of the film “Persepolis” at 7 p.m. Monday at the Hillel Jewish Student Center on Stanford Drive. The award-winning film tells the tale of a young Iranian girl growing up at the time of the Islamic Revolution of 1979. The event is open to all students. For more information, visit facebook.com/MESSatUM or email MESSatUM@gmail.com.

Language study

The application deadline for studying a new language through the Directed Independent Language Study (DILS) program in the spring 2013 semester is Nov. 26. DILS allows students to study languages not offered at UM. A minimum of two interested students is required to start a new language group. DILS is free. For more information, visit as.miami.edu/dils/ or email DILS Director Maria Kosinski at mkosinski@miami.edu.

Senior spotlight

Graduating seniors who would like to be featured in the 2013 Ibis Yearbook can fill out a Senior Spotlight application. Applications can be picked up from and returned to UC 229. The deadline is Nov. 26.

Lyssa Goldberg may be reached at lgoldberg@themiamihurricane.com.

Lyssa Goldberg

Lyssa Goldberg is online editor of The Miami Hurricane. She is a senior majoring in journalism and political science with a minor in math. She has interned at Mashable and the Miami New Times, and her work has also been featured in The Huffington Post.

The University of Miami baseball team isn’t used to straddling the fence when it comes to being invi ...

Now, all that’s left is the waiting. The University of Miami baseball team, fighting to extend its 4 ...

Could the once forlorn University of Miami be closer than some think to extending that national-reco ...

Some UM football nuggets on a Friday: • Evan Shirreffs is an amiable, well-mannered, studious young ...

A few media notes on a Thursday: • As has been the case most years, ABC has decided to televise the ...

A new study reveals that mindfulness training, but not relaxation training, benefits college athlete ...

Frenk delivered his inaugural lecture Wednesday, officially joining the most prestigious group of Me ...

Victor Oquendo, BSC ’09, is following in his parents’ footsteps. ...

The Rosenstiel School’s final lecture of the 2017 Sea Secrets series focused on using science diplom ...

Researchers believe they have found a new way to monitor the intensity and location of hurricanes fr ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team forced a third set in the NCAA Singles ...

Inclement weather made them wait, but Ebony Morrison and a pair of University of Miami relay teams p ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team cemented her name in the record books S ...

Miami's run at the 2017 ACC Championship ended in the semifinals Saturday, as the sixth-seeded ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba posted a 6-4, 5-7, 6-1 victory over Mia Horvit Saturday, becoming the fourth ...