News Briefs – 11/19

Quechua culture

The Quechua and Andean Studies Club is hosting Quechua Cultural Night at 7:15 p.m. Tuesday in the first-floor lounge of the University Center. The event will feature Andean music, games and food. Kuyayky, a popular and influential band in Andean folk music, will perform. Students can also learn new phrases in Quechua, the language of the Incas. Entrance is free.

Persepolis

The Middle Eastern Studies Society will host a screening of the film “Persepolis” at 7 p.m. Monday at the Hillel Jewish Student Center on Stanford Drive. The award-winning film tells the tale of a young Iranian girl growing up at the time of the Islamic Revolution of 1979. The event is open to all students. For more information, visit facebook.com/MESSatUM or email MESSatUM@gmail.com.

Language study

The application deadline for studying a new language through the Directed Independent Language Study (DILS) program in the spring 2013 semester is Nov. 26. DILS allows students to study languages not offered at UM. A minimum of two interested students is required to start a new language group. DILS is free. For more information, visit as.miami.edu/dils/ or email DILS Director Maria Kosinski at mkosinski@miami.edu.

Senior spotlight

Graduating seniors who would like to be featured in the 2013 Ibis Yearbook can fill out a Senior Spotlight application. Applications can be picked up from and returned to UC 229. The deadline is Nov. 26.

Lyssa Goldberg may be reached at lgoldberg@themiamihurricane.com.

About Author

Lyssa Goldberg Lyssa Goldberg is online editor of The Miami Hurricane. She is a senior majoring in journalism and political science with a minor in math. She has interned at Mashable and the Miami New Times, and her work has also been featured in The Huffington Post.

University of Miami middle linebacker Shaquille Quarterman’s ultimate goal has always been the same: ...

Just one glance at Brad Kaaya throwing passes Tuesday after the University of Miami’s first spring f ...

Yes, the Hurricanes’ uncertainty at quarterback has created some uneasiness, as Mark Richt told me r ...

Senior guards Adrienne Motley and Jessica Thomas sat slumped over on the Watsco Center floor late Mo ...

Spring has sprung for the University of Miami football program. Practice, closed to the public, had ...

A conversation with Belén Garijo and Felicia Marie Knaul. ...

Nova Southeastern University’s Jacqueline A. Travisano will be UM’s Executive Vice President for Bus ...

U.S. Trust will provide advisory services for UM’s long-term growth portfolio. ...

Sir James Galway, Distinguished Presidential Scholar, inspires flute students with his artistry and ...

Activist and community organizer Alicia Garza stresses the need for a richness of ideas to help solv ...

Miami travels to Louisville, Ky., Sunday at noon to face No. 34 Louisville at the Bass-Rudd Tennis C ...

Briadam Herrera continued his sparkling postseason run Friday at the IU Natatorium, finishing as the ...

The Hurricanes will welcome a talented field of teams to Cobb Stadium for the second of three home m ...

The No. 37 Miami women's tennis team fell to Boston College, 6-1, Friday afternoon at the Flynn ...

The Miami Hurricanes dropped their series opener to No. 8 North Carolina Friday afternoon at Boshame ...