News Briefs – 11/19

Quechua culture

The Quechua and Andean Studies Club is hosting Quechua Cultural Night at 7:15 p.m. Tuesday in the first-floor lounge of the University Center. The event will feature Andean music, games and food. Kuyayky, a popular and influential band in Andean folk music, will perform. Students can also learn new phrases in Quechua, the language of the Incas. Entrance is free.

Persepolis

The Middle Eastern Studies Society will host a screening of the film “Persepolis” at 7 p.m. Monday at the Hillel Jewish Student Center on Stanford Drive. The award-winning film tells the tale of a young Iranian girl growing up at the time of the Islamic Revolution of 1979. The event is open to all students. For more information, visit facebook.com/MESSatUM or email MESSatUM@gmail.com.

Language study

The application deadline for studying a new language through the Directed Independent Language Study (DILS) program in the spring 2013 semester is Nov. 26. DILS allows students to study languages not offered at UM. A minimum of two interested students is required to start a new language group. DILS is free. For more information, visit as.miami.edu/dils/ or email DILS Director Maria Kosinski at mkosinski@miami.edu.

Senior spotlight

Graduating seniors who would like to be featured in the 2013 Ibis Yearbook can fill out a Senior Spotlight application. Applications can be picked up from and returned to UC 229. The deadline is Nov. 26.

Lyssa Goldberg may be reached at lgoldberg@themiamihurricane.com.

Lyssa Goldberg

Lyssa Goldberg is online editor of The Miami Hurricane. She is a senior majoring in journalism and political science with a minor in math. She has interned at Mashable and the Miami New Times, and her work has also been featured in The Huffington Post.

If defense really does win championships, the University of Miami is in good shape. Despite giving u ...

This is the Miami Hurricanes team that finally solved its long hex in finally winning at Florida Sta ...

1. HURRICANES: No. 3 Canes beat Virginia in home finale: ACC title game, first 10-win season since 2 ...

The No. 2 Miami Hurricanes are kings at keeping their fans in a panicked state — then filling them w ...

CANESFAN SATISFACTION METER: G10: Time again for the latest edition of the Canesfan Satisfaction Met ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

A cohort of five religious leaders from Miami, including a rabbi and imam from the University of Mia ...

Hollywood actress and star of the hit BET series Being Mary Jane gets real about gender, race and co ...

The annual development agreement meeting is a time for the city and University to share information ...

Miami survived an early scare to beat Virginia, 44-28, and achieve its first 10-win season since 200 ...

The University of Miami volleyball team produced some late-match magic Friday night to outlast an in ...

The Miami women's basketball team dropped a 67-61 decision to Colorado on Saturday afternoon in ...

The University of Miami diving team finished its trip to the Texas Diving Invite on a high note Satu ...

Here are three matchups to watch in Saturday's Senior Day game between the No. 3 Canes and Virg ...