News Briefs – 11/19

Quechua culture

The Quechua and Andean Studies Club is hosting Quechua Cultural Night at 7:15 p.m. Tuesday in the first-floor lounge of the University Center. The event will feature Andean music, games and food. Kuyayky, a popular and influential band in Andean folk music, will perform. Students can also learn new phrases in Quechua, the language of the Incas. Entrance is free.

Persepolis

The Middle Eastern Studies Society will host a screening of the film “Persepolis” at 7 p.m. Monday at the Hillel Jewish Student Center on Stanford Drive. The award-winning film tells the tale of a young Iranian girl growing up at the time of the Islamic Revolution of 1979. The event is open to all students. For more information, visit facebook.com/MESSatUM or email MESSatUM@gmail.com.

Language study

The application deadline for studying a new language through the Directed Independent Language Study (DILS) program in the spring 2013 semester is Nov. 26. DILS allows students to study languages not offered at UM. A minimum of two interested students is required to start a new language group. DILS is free. For more information, visit as.miami.edu/dils/ or email DILS Director Maria Kosinski at mkosinski@miami.edu.

Senior spotlight

Graduating seniors who would like to be featured in the 2013 Ibis Yearbook can fill out a Senior Spotlight application. Applications can be picked up from and returned to UC 229. The deadline is Nov. 26.

Lyssa Goldberg may be reached at lgoldberg@themiamihurricane.com.

Lyssa Goldberg

Lyssa Goldberg is online editor of The Miami Hurricane. She is a senior majoring in journalism and political science with a minor in math. She has interned at Mashable and the Miami New Times, and her work has also been featured in The Huffington Post.

No doubt that hurricane season, in all its fury, has released its wrath on South Florida and beyond. ...

Vernon “Vern” Carey, Jr., the consensus No. 1 junior basketball recruit in the nation, paid an unoff ...

LAKE BUENA VISTA — Hurricane Irma gave Mark Walton a chance to be with his 6-month old daughter and ...

LAKE BUENA VISTA —Apparently, University of Miami All-American receiver Ahmmon Richard’s hamstring w ...

University of Miami quarterback Malik Rosier was about to head home to Mobile, Alabama, when the bos ...

UM’s student-run ’Canes Emergency Response Team puts their training into action to assist with recov ...

UM students fan out across South Florida to help local neighborhoods rebound from the impacts of Hur ...

Students living in residential housing are returning to campus and classes with renewed resolve. ...

UM students recount how they rode out the storm called Hurricane Irma. ...

The two year project looks to improve forecast predictions that would look three to four weeks out, ...

Behind a big night from junior outside hitter Kolby Bird, who had tied a career-high with 17 kills, ...

The Canes are back in action for the first time in three weeks. Here are three matchups to watch in ...

The Miami Hurricanes swimming team wrapped up its first day of competition at the All-Florida Invita ...

The University of Miami women's golf team opens its 2017-18 season on Saturday, as it travels t ...

Miami, Auburn, FGCU and Pittsburgh competed, but rain was the victor on the opening day of the Miami ...