News Briefs – 11/19

Quechua culture

The Quechua and Andean Studies Club is hosting Quechua Cultural Night at 7:15 p.m. Tuesday in the first-floor lounge of the University Center. The event will feature Andean music, games and food. Kuyayky, a popular and influential band in Andean folk music, will perform. Students can also learn new phrases in Quechua, the language of the Incas. Entrance is free.

Persepolis

The Middle Eastern Studies Society will host a screening of the film “Persepolis” at 7 p.m. Monday at the Hillel Jewish Student Center on Stanford Drive. The award-winning film tells the tale of a young Iranian girl growing up at the time of the Islamic Revolution of 1979. The event is open to all students. For more information, visit facebook.com/MESSatUM or email MESSatUM@gmail.com.

Language study

The application deadline for studying a new language through the Directed Independent Language Study (DILS) program in the spring 2013 semester is Nov. 26. DILS allows students to study languages not offered at UM. A minimum of two interested students is required to start a new language group. DILS is free. For more information, visit as.miami.edu/dils/ or email DILS Director Maria Kosinski at mkosinski@miami.edu.

Senior spotlight

Graduating seniors who would like to be featured in the 2013 Ibis Yearbook can fill out a Senior Spotlight application. Applications can be picked up from and returned to UC 229. The deadline is Nov. 26.

Lyssa Goldberg may be reached at lgoldberg@themiamihurricane.com.

Lyssa Goldberg

Lyssa Goldberg is online editor of The Miami Hurricane. She is a senior majoring in journalism and political science with a minor in math. She has interned at Mashable and the Miami New Times, and her work has also been featured in The Huffington Post.

The Miami Hurricanes are 2-0 when these two things happen: Michael Mediavilla starts, and Michael Bu ...

If Miami Hurricanes fans were hoping to hear that one quarterback charged forward with such authorit ...

The Florida State Seminoles came through in the clutch. The Miami Hurricanes did not. That pretty mu ...

The Jerry’s Pizza of Mark Richt’s youth is gone, but Fran’s Chicken Haven — “If the Colonel had our ...

Hey, Hurricane basketball fans, do you ever sit around and wonder whatever happened to Guillermo Dia ...

UM students, staff and faculty join the worldwide march to end men’s violence against women. ...

Greek Week at the University of Miami is committed to raising money and awareness for United Cerebra ...

Carlos Bustamante, a Presidential Distinguished Scholar, kicked off his series of lectures about gen ...

Edward Abraham, M.D., has been named Dean of the University of Miami Leonard M. Miller School of Med ...

Junior Kristiana Yao is the first named at UM in the last 33 years. ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team is set to play its final match of the regular season ...

Ebony Morrison & women's 4x100m won at Baylor, while Gabrielle Hesslau & Sean Grossman ...

Sunday's finale between the Miami Hurricanes and Florida State Seminoles (April 23) will be pla ...

The No. 39 Miami women's tennis team will play its final match of the regular season Sunday at ...

On a night when he connected for a grand slam against archrival Florida State in front of a sold-out ...