Don’t let disabilities create distance

David Leal suffers from muscular dystrophy and wasn’t expected to live past 21, but he celebrated his 31st birthday in July.

He can no longer breathe without a ventilator and he is limited to a bed or a chair, but his ideas remain intact, and so do his dreams.

“My dream is to have somebody,” Leal said. “I like being loved – the feeling – having someone to talk to. Sometimes I feel lonely. I want someone to love me. No matter how I am.”

Many individuals with mental or physical disabilities share his thoughts. Like other people, they want to love and be loved in return.

Unfortunately, starting in grade school society has made a distinction between people who have disabilities from those who don’t. We enroll in regular and honors courses. They enroll in special education courses.

Although different classes and activities are often a necessity, some people begin to distance themselves from their peers with special needs. But, we’re all the same.

When you see someone walking with a limp, rolling down the hallway in a wheelchair or being walked to class by a student assistant, you wonder – and you stare.

In your head you’re probably thinking, “What’s wrong with them?” But in actuality, you shouldn’t be thinking anything at all.

Most people treat those with disabilities differently because they don’t know any better. We’ve been taught to associate ourselves with people we can relate to. Subconsciously, when we encounter people who we perceive as different, we assume they cannot.

We’re wrong.

There are various organizations on and off campus such as Best Buddies, Shake-a-Leg and Friendship Circle that encourage students to build relationships with peers they wouldn’t interact with on a daily basis.

Don’t define individuals by their disabilities. Define them by their abilities.

It is hard to break a behavior that is considered normal for the majority of us, but it has to be done – or at least attempted.

There has to be a way to look past people’s differences and see them for what they are:  regular people.

Editorials represent the majority view of  The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

As Miami fans await the newest College Football Playoff rankings on Tuesday night — the Hurricanes c ...

Jaquan Johnson doesn’t necessarily look intimidating. But he plays like a monster. Johnson, UM’s 5-1 ...

It will determine which state rival makes the American Athletic Conference championship game when th ...

Miami coach Mark Richt nearly went through his weekly teleconference Sunday without anyone asking hi ...

I opened my eyes this morning and for the first time in a long time, maybe all season, didn’t say, “ ...

The 41st annual conference on the Caribbean and Central America came to the University of Miami Scho ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

A cohort of five religious leaders from Miami, including a rabbi and imam from the University of Mia ...

Hollywood actress and star of the hit BET series Being Mary Jane gets real about gender, race and co ...

For the second straight week, the Miami Hurricanes were ranked No. 2 in both the Associated Press po ...

A pair of Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized with weekly honors from the Atlantic Coast Co ...

The Miami women's basketball team will host the first of its two elementary school days Tuesday ...

The University of Miami volleyball team closed out the weekend with a convincing 3-0 win at Virginia ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team welcomed three new members to the program with the si ...