SAC on schedule for fall 2013 opening

The Student Activities Center, set to open fall 2013, will feature different food options and student organization offices. Cayla Nimmo // Photo Editor 

On the shore of Lake Osceola are palm trees, the occasional ibis and now the Student Activities Center (SAC), which is set to open in the fall of 2013.

The almost complete SAC will feature new dining options, a 24/7 study space and offices for student organizations.

An anticipated campus staple, the Rathskeller, will also have a new home in the SAC, according to Dan Westbrook, director of the University Center.

“One big feature that students are looking forward to is the new Rat,” he said. “It’s going to be two stories, and it’ll have a mezzanine just like the old Rat.”

The Rat will not be the only food option at the SAC. The first floor will include three new food services: a second Starbucks, Red Mango, and M2O, a made-to-order sandwich option. Indoor ATMs, a 24-hour study space and the law student center will be available on the first floor as well.

Upstairs, a large part of the second floor contains the student organization offices and a media center for student publications.

Student organizations that currently have offices in the University Center will still have offices once the SAC is built.

On the third floor will be a new ballroom, which will hold 600 to 1,000 people depending on individual event setups, and a patio overlooking Lake Osceola. The terrace will be available for events as well.

“The view of the lake from three stories up is breathtaking,” Westbrook said.

There are additional locations available for organization offices, but that information cannot be given at this time, according to Abel Champion, the chair of the Student Center Complex Advisory Council (SCCAC). Westbrook created the SCCAC to facilitate student participation in the planning of the SAC.

“The committee was created to ensure that the new student center was painted with student voice,” Champion said.

Construction of the SAC is on schedule, and UM administration expects it to open on time.

“The plan is still to have the opening that fall and there are no indications that we are going to miss that deadline,” Westbrook said.

Student Government President Nawara Alawa is optimistic about the new space.

“It’s a game changer for our campus and for student life,” she said.

Erika Glass

Multimedia Editor

View photos as Miami Hurricanes Coach Jim Morris ends 41-year career on Saturday, May 19, 2018, at M ...

The sullen, charcoal sky opened with a vengeance Saturday afternoon at Mark Light Field in Coral Gab ...

Hurricanes football aficionados: How does another College GameDay at the University of Miami campus ...

Get out your calendars once again, UM football fans. The Atlantic Coast Conference has announced the ...

Lonnie Walker IV, so eager to begin his professional basketball career that he left the University o ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

The final Sea Secrets lecture at the Rosenstiel School examines the biofluorescence of marine organi ...

Maintenance mechanic Milton Davis has kept UM housing humming for decades. ...

After 25 years, head coach Jim Morris had just one request for the pregame festivities for his final ...

In honor of Jim Morris' final regular season game as head coach at Miami on Saturday, May 19, t ...

Sophomore righthander Evan McKendry struck out 11 to help lead the Hurricanes to their 10thstraight ...

Check out over 60 of the top pictures from the Miami women's tennis team's matchup with to ...

Due to inclement weather expected in the area, the Miami baseball program announced game time for Fr ...