Pike revamped, but reputation persists

Last November, Pike was suspended from campus for several violations. But this November, they’re redeeming themselves.

Pike is known as one of the rowdiest fraternities in the nation. And the UM chapter is no exception. But the consequences its members received for crossing the line has caused a recent change of heart – at least one could hope.

In the last 12 months, Pike members have participated in community service events and have committed themselves to showing the university how sorry they are for their mistakes. Although improvement indicates progress, the past can never be erased. Their reputation is paying the price.

But as Papa Roach once said, scars remind us that the past is real. It is time for Pike to be given a second chance so that they may pave the way in a new direction.

Last spring, a member of Pike National evaluated the brothers of the UM chapter based on their grade point averages, disciplinary records and service to the fraternity. Based on their final results, half of the brothers were dismissed.

The remaining ones are driven, dedicated and determined to revamp their brotherhood.

Their mistakes should be forgiven, but not overlooked. What some of the former Pike members did was dishonorable, and their actions set a precedent for determining what is tolerable or intolerable conduct in the future.

The Pike members have one goal in mind: to reinstate their old principles and values. But first, they must re-earn the respect of the university community.

Unfortunately, students must keep in mind that being affiliated with an organization that has been scrutinized may take a toll on their individual reputations. If you want to become a member of Pike, keep that in mind. If you already are one, keep working to restore the roles you once embodied – scholars, leaders, athletes and gentlemen.

The road will not be an easy one. But tough times don’t last, tough people do.

Editorials represent the majority view of  The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

Lester Williams wasn’t on the field playing for the Miami Hurricanes when they won their first natio ...

An extremely frustrated University of Miami football coach Mark Richt began his media availability b ...