News briefs – 11/15

Mascot Tryouts

An information session for tryouts to be the next Sebastian the Ibis will be held at 6 p.m. Monday at the Knight Sports Complex. For more information, contact David Weisser at d.weisser@miami.edu.

Frost Opera 

The Frost Opera Theater’s 2012-2013 season begins at 7:30 p.m. Thursday, with “Supernatural Scenes on Stage,” at Clark Recital Hall in the Weeks Center for Recording and Performance at UM’s Frost School of Music. “Supernatural Scenes on Stage” is free, but tickets are required. To reserve a spot, visit music.miami.edu/concerts.

“Supernatural Scenes on Stage” will feature demons, angels, fairies and vampires. Scenes in the opera will include those from Humperdinck’s “Hansel and Gretel,” Ravel’s “L’Enfant et les Sortilèges (The Child and the Spells),” Marschner’s “Der Vampyr,” Gounod’s “Faust,” Stravinsky’s “The Rake’s Progress,” and Mozart’s “Don Giovanni.”

Students from the Frost School of Music’s vocal performance classes will be featured throughout the opera. Music and stage direction are arranged by program director Alan Johnson, and set consultation will be by Miami-based virtual artist Sherri Tan.

Guantanamo

From 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. on Monday, Brig. Gen. Mark Martins and David Schulz will discuss legal issues related to Guantanamo military commissions. The discussion will be moderated by UM School of Law professor Christina Frohock. It will be held at Storer Auditorium.

Martins served as the lead prosecutor in the 9/11 trials of Khalid Sheikh Mohammed. Schulz, a New York attorney, served as lead counsel for a broad coalition of news organizations that challenged Guantanamo’s media access rules.

Stephanie Parra may be reached at news@themiamihurricane.com. 

Stephanie Parra

Editor-in-chief

Football season is nearly upon us. The University of Miami’s 2017 fall camp opens at 9 a.m. Tuesday ...

In an age in which committing once to a college football program isn’t always enough for fans and co ...

A six-pack of Canes notes: • It’s just different at UM – the camaraderie, the brotherhood, the desir ...

University of Miami football coach Mark Richt’s spin through the ESPN Car Wash on Tuesday began with ...

University of Miami legendary receiver Michael Irvin is no doubt relieved, as likely is UM football ...

Looking back on 15 years of the University of Miami Business Plan Competition, hosted by the School ...

Read the latest entries from UM students who are spending part or all of their summer visiting diffe ...

Value in the Era of Analytics ...

Summer Creative Writing Camp Inspires Young Writers to Release Their Emotions Onto the Page. ...