News briefs – 11/15

Mascot Tryouts

An information session for tryouts to be the next Sebastian the Ibis will be held at 6 p.m. Monday at the Knight Sports Complex. For more information, contact David Weisser at d.weisser@miami.edu.

Frost Opera 

The Frost Opera Theater’s 2012-2013 season begins at 7:30 p.m. Thursday, with “Supernatural Scenes on Stage,” at Clark Recital Hall in the Weeks Center for Recording and Performance at UM’s Frost School of Music. “Supernatural Scenes on Stage” is free, but tickets are required. To reserve a spot, visit music.miami.edu/concerts.

“Supernatural Scenes on Stage” will feature demons, angels, fairies and vampires. Scenes in the opera will include those from Humperdinck’s “Hansel and Gretel,” Ravel’s “L’Enfant et les Sortilèges (The Child and the Spells),” Marschner’s “Der Vampyr,” Gounod’s “Faust,” Stravinsky’s “The Rake’s Progress,” and Mozart’s “Don Giovanni.”

Students from the Frost School of Music’s vocal performance classes will be featured throughout the opera. Music and stage direction are arranged by program director Alan Johnson, and set consultation will be by Miami-based virtual artist Sherri Tan.

Guantanamo

From 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. on Monday, Brig. Gen. Mark Martins and David Schulz will discuss legal issues related to Guantanamo military commissions. The discussion will be moderated by UM School of Law professor Christina Frohock. It will be held at Storer Auditorium.

Martins served as the lead prosecutor in the 9/11 trials of Khalid Sheikh Mohammed. Schulz, a New York attorney, served as lead counsel for a broad coalition of news organizations that challenged Guantanamo’s media access rules.

Stephanie Parra may be reached at news@themiamihurricane.com. 

Stephanie Parra

Editor-in-chief

Happy Thanksgiving! I started this while I was sitting in Washington-Dulles Airport awaiting my seco ...

This is how extraordinary the University of Miami football season has been: When the Hurricanes won ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes nuggets on Thanksgiving: • There’s no doubt that UM’s home field advantage ...

You’ve got to expect the Las Vegas sportsbooks to come strong and smart with two days of Florida col ...

Here’s why UM moving up to No. 2 in the CFP poll was important, for reasons that extend beyond Canes ...

At the entrance of the University of Miami’s Sue and Leonard Miller Center for Contemporary Judaic S ...

UM Police Department's Innovative Fundraiser Sells Abandoned Bikes to Support United Way ...

The 41st annual conference on the Caribbean and Central America held a special program at the Univer ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

Here are three matchups to watch as the No. 2 Hurricanes face Pitt with a chance to finish the regul ...

The tournament will be played in Southern California next November 22, 23 and 25. ...

Dewan Huell scored a career-high 16 points as the Canes defeated La Salle in Reading, Pa. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team had to break a 10-year-old record to overcome sturdy Georgia ...

The Hurricanes jumped o to No. 2 in the latest College Football Playoff rankings released Tuesday, e ...