News briefs – 11/15

Mascot Tryouts

An information session for tryouts to be the next Sebastian the Ibis will be held at 6 p.m. Monday at the Knight Sports Complex. For more information, contact David Weisser at d.weisser@miami.edu.

Frost Opera 

The Frost Opera Theater’s 2012-2013 season begins at 7:30 p.m. Thursday, with “Supernatural Scenes on Stage,” at Clark Recital Hall in the Weeks Center for Recording and Performance at UM’s Frost School of Music. “Supernatural Scenes on Stage” is free, but tickets are required. To reserve a spot, visit music.miami.edu/concerts.

“Supernatural Scenes on Stage” will feature demons, angels, fairies and vampires. Scenes in the opera will include those from Humperdinck’s “Hansel and Gretel,” Ravel’s “L’Enfant et les Sortilèges (The Child and the Spells),” Marschner’s “Der Vampyr,” Gounod’s “Faust,” Stravinsky’s “The Rake’s Progress,” and Mozart’s “Don Giovanni.”

Students from the Frost School of Music’s vocal performance classes will be featured throughout the opera. Music and stage direction are arranged by program director Alan Johnson, and set consultation will be by Miami-based virtual artist Sherri Tan.

Guantanamo

From 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. on Monday, Brig. Gen. Mark Martins and David Schulz will discuss legal issues related to Guantanamo military commissions. The discussion will be moderated by UM School of Law professor Christina Frohock. It will be held at Storer Auditorium.

Martins served as the lead prosecutor in the 9/11 trials of Khalid Sheikh Mohammed. Schulz, a New York attorney, served as lead counsel for a broad coalition of news organizations that challenged Guantanamo’s media access rules.

Stephanie Parra may be reached at news@themiamihurricane.com. 

Stephanie Parra

Editor-in-chief

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

This is the time of year when every win or loss can make a difference in a team’s NCAA Tournament ch ...

Mike Brey doesn't pay much attention to the NBA draft stock of opposing players, but the Notre ...

He used to be a Gator. But junior Danny Reyes is plenty happy to be back home and playing for the Un ...

It’s a Wednesday morning, and one by one, the familiar Hurricane faces make their way into the non-d ...

At the University of Miami, the professor has the last word on whether students can use their laptop ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

Walker IV scored 19, Izundu scored 14 and the Canes picked up a crucial win in South Bend. ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami women's golf team moved into a sixth-place tie on day two ...

After a standout first weekend at the plate with the No. 24 Hurricanes, Miami's Danny Reyes was ...

Miami women's basketball notched an impressive 77-62 triumph Sunday at Virginia, giving head co ...

Former University of Miami track and field standouts Shakima Wimbley and Tiffany Okieme were among t ...