News briefs – 11/15

Mascot Tryouts

An information session for tryouts to be the next Sebastian the Ibis will be held at 6 p.m. Monday at the Knight Sports Complex. For more information, contact David Weisser at d.weisser@miami.edu.

Frost Opera 

The Frost Opera Theater’s 2012-2013 season begins at 7:30 p.m. Thursday, with “Supernatural Scenes on Stage,” at Clark Recital Hall in the Weeks Center for Recording and Performance at UM’s Frost School of Music. “Supernatural Scenes on Stage” is free, but tickets are required. To reserve a spot, visit music.miami.edu/concerts.

“Supernatural Scenes on Stage” will feature demons, angels, fairies and vampires. Scenes in the opera will include those from Humperdinck’s “Hansel and Gretel,” Ravel’s “L’Enfant et les Sortilèges (The Child and the Spells),” Marschner’s “Der Vampyr,” Gounod’s “Faust,” Stravinsky’s “The Rake’s Progress,” and Mozart’s “Don Giovanni.”

Students from the Frost School of Music’s vocal performance classes will be featured throughout the opera. Music and stage direction are arranged by program director Alan Johnson, and set consultation will be by Miami-based virtual artist Sherri Tan.

Guantanamo

From 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. on Monday, Brig. Gen. Mark Martins and David Schulz will discuss legal issues related to Guantanamo military commissions. The discussion will be moderated by UM School of Law professor Christina Frohock. It will be held at Storer Auditorium.

Martins served as the lead prosecutor in the 9/11 trials of Khalid Sheikh Mohammed. Schulz, a New York attorney, served as lead counsel for a broad coalition of news organizations that challenged Guantanamo’s media access rules.

Stephanie Parra may be reached at news@themiamihurricane.com. 

Stephanie Parra

Editor-in-chief

No doubt that hurricane season, in all its fury, has released its wrath on South Florida and beyond. ...

Vernon “Vern” Carey, Jr., the consensus No. 1 junior basketball recruit in the nation, paid an unoff ...

LAKE BUENA VISTA — Hurricane Irma gave Mark Walton a chance to be with his 6-month old daughter and ...

LAKE BUENA VISTA —Apparently, University of Miami All-American receiver Ahmmon Richard’s hamstring w ...

University of Miami quarterback Malik Rosier was about to head home to Mobile, Alabama, when the bos ...

UM’s student-run ’Canes Emergency Response Team puts their training into action to assist with recov ...

UM students fan out across South Florida to help local neighborhoods rebound from the impacts of Hur ...

Students living in residential housing are returning to campus and classes with renewed resolve. ...

UM students recount how they rode out the storm called Hurricane Irma. ...

The two year project looks to improve forecast predictions that would look three to four weeks out, ...

Behind a big night from junior outside hitter Kolby Bird, who had tied a career-high with 17 kills, ...

The Canes are back in action for the first time in three weeks. Here are three matchups to watch in ...

The Miami Hurricanes swimming team wrapped up its first day of competition at the All-Florida Invita ...

The University of Miami women's golf team opens its 2017-18 season on Saturday, as it travels t ...

Miami, Auburn, FGCU and Pittsburgh competed, but rain was the victor on the opening day of the Miami ...