News briefs – 11/15

Mascot Tryouts

An information session for tryouts to be the next Sebastian the Ibis will be held at 6 p.m. Monday at the Knight Sports Complex. For more information, contact David Weisser at d.weisser@miami.edu.

Frost Opera 

The Frost Opera Theater’s 2012-2013 season begins at 7:30 p.m. Thursday, with “Supernatural Scenes on Stage,” at Clark Recital Hall in the Weeks Center for Recording and Performance at UM’s Frost School of Music. “Supernatural Scenes on Stage” is free, but tickets are required. To reserve a spot, visit music.miami.edu/concerts.

“Supernatural Scenes on Stage” will feature demons, angels, fairies and vampires. Scenes in the opera will include those from Humperdinck’s “Hansel and Gretel,” Ravel’s “L’Enfant et les Sortilèges (The Child and the Spells),” Marschner’s “Der Vampyr,” Gounod’s “Faust,” Stravinsky’s “The Rake’s Progress,” and Mozart’s “Don Giovanni.”

Students from the Frost School of Music’s vocal performance classes will be featured throughout the opera. Music and stage direction are arranged by program director Alan Johnson, and set consultation will be by Miami-based virtual artist Sherri Tan.

Guantanamo

From 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. on Monday, Brig. Gen. Mark Martins and David Schulz will discuss legal issues related to Guantanamo military commissions. The discussion will be moderated by UM School of Law professor Christina Frohock. It will be held at Storer Auditorium.

Martins served as the lead prosecutor in the 9/11 trials of Khalid Sheikh Mohammed. Schulz, a New York attorney, served as lead counsel for a broad coalition of news organizations that challenged Guantanamo’s media access rules.

Stephanie Parra may be reached at news@themiamihurricane.com. 

Stephanie Parra

Editor-in-chief

The University of Miami baseball team isn't used to straddling the fence when it comes to being ...

Now, all that’s left is the waiting. The University of Miami baseball team, fighting to extend its 4 ...

Could the once forlorn University of Miami be closer than some think to extending that national-reco ...

Some UM football nuggets on a Friday: • Evan Shirreffs is an amiable, well-mannered, studious young ...

A few media notes on a Thursday: • As has been the case most years, ABC has decided to televise the ...

A new study reveals that mindfulness training, but not relaxation training, benefits college athlete ...

Frenk delivered his inaugural lecture Wednesday, officially joining the most prestigious group of Me ...

Victor Oquendo, BSC ’09, is following in his parents’ footsteps. ...

The Rosenstiel School’s final lecture of the 2017 Sea Secrets series focused on using science diplom ...

Researchers believe they have found a new way to monitor the intensity and location of hurricanes fr ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team forced a third set in the NCAA Singles ...

Inclement weather made them wait, but Ebony Morrison and a pair of University of Miami relay teams p ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team cemented her name in the record books S ...

Miami's run at the 2017 ACC Championship ended in the semifinals Saturday, as the sixth-seeded ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba posted a 6-4, 5-7, 6-1 victory over Mia Horvit Saturday, becoming the fourth ...