V's Take

Dear V: He loves me, I love him not…

About a year ago, I started dating a wonderful guy – sweet, funny, kind, all that.  Recently, though, I started feeling like our relationship isn’t going anywhere, and he agreed, but we shrugged it off as a relationship low point.  But a few months ago, I met another guy who is very similar to my boyfriend in a lot of ways (except he’s a bit taller), and I’ve started having feelings for him, too.  I feel guilty, like I’m being unfaithful, but I haven’t actually done anything.  Do I dump my boyfriend and go for this new guy or just not date either of them?

Sincerely,

Who Do I Choose?

Dear Stuck in a Rut,

Like I’ve said before – and I’ll say it as many times as I need to – DON’T CHEAT. You’re already feeling guilty enough as it is; don’t actually give yourself a reason to be.

But you’re also being a little delusional. This new guy is practically identical to your boyfriend, so what makes you think a relationship with him would be any better?  He’s exciting because he’s new, but just like any fun gadget, you’ll grow bored, the next guy will show up and be taller still. You could run through all the iPhone models and never be satisfied.

If you dump your boyfriend and get with the new guy, you’ll eventually grow hungry for new features. But don’t stay with your current boyfriend because it’s convenient. When the spark is gone, it’s gone, and it takes a lot of effort to light a fire from ashes. You’re too young and wrinkle-free to start settling now. So dump the boyfriend and find someone who you’re truly into.

And seriously: Do not cheat! Like my mother used to say, once a cheater, always a cheater. You’ll end up like a sad housewife on Wistoria Lane, only your life isn’t a TV show, so you won’t have a chiseled Jesse Metcalfe to mess around with while your hubby’s at work.

But boyfriend #2 is not the answer either. You’re bored with one, you’ll get bored with the next one, and I’m getting bored answering this.  If you have to distance yourself from them, do it, but don’t waste your time being in a relationship you hate.

Get single, get drunk and find someone hot to entertain you for the night.

Here’s to spicing up your life,

View photos as Miami Hurricanes Coach Jim Morris ends 41-year career on Saturday, May 19, 2018, at M ...

The sullen, charcoal sky opened with a vengeance Saturday afternoon at Mark Light Field in Coral Gab ...

Hurricanes football aficionados: How does another College GameDay at the University of Miami campus ...

Get out your calendars once again, UM football fans. The Atlantic Coast Conference has announced the ...

Lonnie Walker IV, so eager to begin his professional basketball career that he left the University o ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

The final Sea Secrets lecture at the Rosenstiel School examines the biofluorescence of marine organi ...

Maintenance mechanic Milton Davis has kept UM housing humming for decades. ...

No. 7 seed Miami opens its run at the 2018 ACC Baseball Championship Tuesday, May 22 against No. 11 ...

After 25 years, head coach Jim Morris had just one request for the pregame festivities for his final ...

In honor of Jim Morris' final regular season game as head coach at Miami on Saturday, May 19, t ...

Sophomore righthander Evan McKendry struck out 11 to help lead the Hurricanes to their 10thstraight ...

Check out over 60 of the top pictures from the Miami women's tennis team's matchup with to ...