My Favorite City in the World

A view from Old Town Square; Prague, Czech Republic

Before embarking on my semester abroad, Prague had been my favorite city…which was saying a lot considering how many cities I had already seen. Going back for my second time was a test. Would it still be my favorite? It was. Every city in the world has something unique about it, but Prague has such a distinct paramount character in comparison to any other. Its architecture is something straight out of a fairytale book, like Harry Potter world mixed with wherever the Hobbit lived… and a dash of Dracula’s taste for castle construction.

This Eastern European city that has just recently grown out of communism has been impressively shaping up to be newest “hip” place for young people to travel to. I noticed Prague’s remarkable upgrade and transition into modernization since my first visit there just 3 years ago. Their language is quite a mission to understand but their people are the nicest. Their food is a mushy mix of mysterious meats but their beer is the freshest. Here you are my friends…my updated notes on American perceptions of Europeans, European perceptions of Americans, and how our customs clash…after revisiting my favorite city in the world: Prague:

• They don’t even know it yet, but they have got night life down to a T. Their pubs are just what you would want from one. They are loud and fun but spacious and clean; and their clubs are out of this world. Visit Karlovy Lazne for a clubbing experience that you can not even get in Miami. It is the largest club in Central and Eastern Europe, boasting 5 floors, with 5 different DJ’s playing 5 different genres of music on each. Go there with all of your friends with any taste in music, and everyone will enjoy.
  • They are known for supporting the greatest music legends in the world: The Beatles. Visit the John Lennon Wall just under the Charles Bridge. Since the 1980’s it has been filled with John Lennon inspired graffiti including Beatles song lyrics and portraits of Lennon himself. It is a sight that is respected from tourists from all around the world, and a symbol of “peace” and “love” by youth everywhere.
  • They think Americans are cool! It is one of few cities that I have not felt like an intruder in. With their communist rule, they were restricted from creating and listening to certain music, writing and reading certain literature and expressing themselves with certain art…until the late 1980’s! They respect our language, our customs and our interest for visiting their part of the country.

Visit the typical European cities such as Rome and Paris, Barcelona and London…but DO NOT OVERLOOK PRAGUE.

Signing off,

Alli

allisonnovack

2 COMMENTS ON THIS POST To “My Favorite City in the World”

1. carole says:

bungameng – 23 years is barely a generation. The parents of a 23 year old grew up under Communism!!!

Grandparents also are hardly “ancestors”

Get your facts straight!!!

2. Bungameng says:

What is with this “post-communist” thing? 23 years is long enough, a whole new generation has grown up since then, and I suppose that most of the people the author has met personally know communism only from the history books and tales of their ancestors.

When Al Golden recruited David Njoku to the University of Miami in 2014 the Cedar Grove, N.J. native ...

The night after FIU gave away a game to the University of Miami with a ninth-inning passed ball that ...

Redshirt freshman quarterback Jack Allison left the University of Miami football program on Tuesday. ...

Closer Frankie Bartow stared into the Panthers’ dugout immediately after fanning the final batter of ...

Go ahead. Try telling former University of Miami quarterback Brad Kaaya that his critics say he gets ...

UM marks Holocaust Remembrance Day with a reading of names and recollections of a survivor. ...

A recent paper argues that not only have researchers just scratched the surface of analyzing the Ama ...

The period of the first 100 days in office is a telling gauge for a president's full term in th ...

UM students, staff and faculty join the worldwide march to end men’s violence against women. ...

Greek Week at the University of Miami is committed to raising money and awareness for United Cerebra ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team came up short against No. 34 Duke University, 4-1, Th ...

Images from @CanesMensTennis win over Boston College. ...

Sinead Lohan and Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team were both among the ni ...

The fourth-seeded Miami women's tennis team is set to open ACC Championship play Friday afterno ...

Miami Hurricanes tight end David Njoku was selected with the 29th overall pick by the Cleveland Brow ...