Veterans Day merits more gratitude

Five years ago during Veterans Day, something incredible happened. While sitting around at dinner with my extended family, my grandfather began to tell me a story about his time in the Army when he was stationed in France. That was the first time I had ever heard my grandfather talk about the Army.

In that moment, I was awestruck. The only thing I was able to force out in response to the story was, “That’s incredible, Grandpa.”

I can now say that it was the perfect response. There are no words to better describe the commitment made by those who enlist and serve in our armed forces. And we owe them this day to thank them for the sacrifices they have made for our own comfort.

Unfortunately, it seems we – as a nation – have begun to ignore the importance of Veterans Day. Here in Miami, we don’t take the day off. And the schools and businesses that do take off simply look at it as another potential break from classes or work.

But, that’s not what the day is about.

It is about celebrating our proud veterans’ bravery and service. They reach beyond the limits of human boundaries and doubt to protect immeasurable and numerous freedoms. The men and women of our armed forces are nothing less than superhumans.

I can’t even wrap my mind around how they summon the strength to go the lengths they do for my lifestyle. They put their lives on the line to go into foreign countries to help protect the liberties of those living both within and outside of our borders.

Today isn’t meant to be meaningless. The fact that many schools across the nation don’t feel the need to take the day off in honor of veterans is off putting, and hopefully that will soon change. Until then, all we can do is continue to thank all of those in the service.

And it should be every day. Not just on Veterans Day.

Robert Pursell is a senior majoring in journalism.

Robert Pursell

They’ve earned their first 10-win season since 2003. Now all they need are two more victories for a ...

It became very clear, as soon as University of Miami coaches began recruiting Lonnie Walker IV, that ...

A six-pack of UM football notes: ▪ After UM’s 44-28 victory against Virginia on Saturday, Cavaliers ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference Championship Game, featuring the Coastal Division champion Miami Hurri ...

As Miami fans await the newest College Football Playoff rankings on Tuesday night — the Hurricanes c ...

The 41st annual conference on the Caribbean and Central America held a special program at the Univer ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

A cohort of five religious leaders from Miami, including a rabbi and imam from the University of Mia ...

Hollywood actress and star of the hit BET series Being Mary Jane gets real about gender, race and co ...

The Hurricanes jumped o to No. 2 in the latest College Football Playoff rankings released Tuesday, e ...

Miami defensive coordinator Manny Diaz was selected as one of 15 semifinalists for the Broyles Award ...

Former Miami football players Ronnie Walker and Todd Stanish are grateful to be able to celebrate an ...

Erykah Davenport scored 16 points and grabbed a career-high 19 rebounds, as the Miami women's b ...

The neutral-site game is a homecoming for freshman guard Lonnie Walker IV. ...