Themed charity runs become latest fundraising trend

Warrior Dash came to Amelia Earhart Park in Hialeah this past Saturday. This intense 5K hosted a series of obstacles for racers to overcome, including jumping over a series of flaming logs. Proceeds benefit the St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital. Cayla Nimmo // Photo Editor 

Clad in all kinds of warrior garb, runners made their way to Amelia Earhart Park in Hialeah. Costumes ranged from traditional viking gear to “Rosie the Riveter” but participants were all there for one reason: the Warrior Dash, a 5K run to benefit St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital.

Participants were encouraged to dress up for the 5K obstacle series, which featured 12 challenges. At the race’s check-in, all “warriors” received fuzzy Viking helmets to carry with them throughout their journey.

“It’s meant to be the craziest frickin’ day of your life,” said Sarah McGrath, a race director. “Once they’re done, they’re covered head to toe in mud with their Warrior Dash fuzzy helmet, and then have a turkey leg, beer and enjoy the festival atmosphere.”

At registration, warriors were given the option to be a “St. Jude Warrior.” Those who raised $250 had access to the St. Jude VIP tent, which included showers, free food and drinks.

“We were helping people, providing them with towels and answering their questions,” said junior Abby Salem, who volunteered in the VIP tent. “They had their own bathrooms and showers, which were cleaner than the other ones and didn’t have lines.”

Themed runs have become a popular way to raise money. This year’s Warrior Dash raised more than $4 million for the hospital.

The Color Run, a national race that benefits different regional charities, covers runners in colored powder as they pass through various stations.

Last month, Miami’s Color Run benefitted the J.A.M. Foundation, an organization that works toward open communication about teen suicide.

“I think the money goes to a good cause, and it’s really fun to go with friends,” said sophomore Kathy Lee, who ran in the race. “Color Run is not a normal 5K. It’s a once-in-a-lifetime thing.”

Sophomore Phillip Chan said he thinks charity runs are a fun way to get people out to raise money.

“It allows people to stay healthy and exercise, while providing for a greater cause in the community,” Chan said. “I would love to participate in one in the future.”

Some people, like senior Joshua Lonthair, have even made a hobby out of these races.

“I do 5Ks in general because it’s a good way to get out and have fun with a group of people, and it keeps me active,” Lonthair said. “If you train like I do, you have a goal in mind, and it makes you feel good when you reach your goal … It’s uplifting for me.”

Erika Glass

Multimedia Editor

Most NBA mock drafts had Miami Hurricanes guard Davon Reed going late in the second round of Thursda ...

University of Miami shooting guard Davon Reed will gather with friends and family in Ewing, New Jers ...

University of Miami great and Pro Football Hall of Famer Warren Sapp announced on Tuesday that he pl ...

The University of Miami continues to make a hard push for five-star point guard Immanuel Quickley of ...

The University of Miami’s 2018 football recruiting class, already ranked the best in the country by ...

UM female scientists share some insight on women in science, science in Hollywood and how Wonder Wom ...

Read the latest entries from UM students who are spending part or all of their summer visiting diffe ...

UM Student Affairs Advocacy Coordinator Heather Stevens has been awarded the William Leftwich Award ...

President Julio Frenk makes the case for collaboration at eMerge Americas. ...

UM College of Engineering Dean Jean-Pierre Bardet and alumnus Rony Abovitz share the stage in a disc ...

Two outgoing Miami student-athletes, Shakima Wimbley and Gracie Lachowecki, have officially been nam ...

Miami Deputy AD/SWA Jennifer Strawley has been named a member of the WBCA Board of Directors, as ann ...

The Atlantic Coast and Big Ten Conferences announced Monday, the University of Miami men's bask ...

Three members of the University of Miami men's tennis players have been selected as All-ACC Aca ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had four individuals selected to the 2017 Atlantic Co ...