Themed charity runs become latest fundraising trend

Warrior Dash came to Amelia Earhart Park in Hialeah this past Saturday. This intense 5K hosted a series of obstacles for racers to overcome, including jumping over a series of flaming logs. Proceeds benefit the St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital. Cayla Nimmo // Photo Editor 

Clad in all kinds of warrior garb, runners made their way to Amelia Earhart Park in Hialeah. Costumes ranged from traditional viking gear to “Rosie the Riveter” but participants were all there for one reason: the Warrior Dash, a 5K run to benefit St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital.

Participants were encouraged to dress up for the 5K obstacle series, which featured 12 challenges. At the race’s check-in, all “warriors” received fuzzy Viking helmets to carry with them throughout their journey.

“It’s meant to be the craziest frickin’ day of your life,” said Sarah McGrath, a race director. “Once they’re done, they’re covered head to toe in mud with their Warrior Dash fuzzy helmet, and then have a turkey leg, beer and enjoy the festival atmosphere.”

At registration, warriors were given the option to be a “St. Jude Warrior.” Those who raised $250 had access to the St. Jude VIP tent, which included showers, free food and drinks.

“We were helping people, providing them with towels and answering their questions,” said junior Abby Salem, who volunteered in the VIP tent. “They had their own bathrooms and showers, which were cleaner than the other ones and didn’t have lines.”

Themed runs have become a popular way to raise money. This year’s Warrior Dash raised more than $4 million for the hospital.

The Color Run, a national race that benefits different regional charities, covers runners in colored powder as they pass through various stations.

Last month, Miami’s Color Run benefitted the J.A.M. Foundation, an organization that works toward open communication about teen suicide.

“I think the money goes to a good cause, and it’s really fun to go with friends,” said sophomore Kathy Lee, who ran in the race. “Color Run is not a normal 5K. It’s a once-in-a-lifetime thing.”

Sophomore Phillip Chan said he thinks charity runs are a fun way to get people out to raise money.

“It allows people to stay healthy and exercise, while providing for a greater cause in the community,” Chan said. “I would love to participate in one in the future.”

Some people, like senior Joshua Lonthair, have even made a hobby out of these races.

“I do 5Ks in general because it’s a good way to get out and have fun with a group of people, and it keeps me active,” Lonthair said. “If you train like I do, you have a goal in mind, and it makes you feel good when you reach your goal … It’s uplifting for me.”

Erika Glass

Multimedia Editor

University of Miami football great Cortez Kennedy, a Pro Football Hall of Famer remembered for his w ...

The Hurricanes are still alive in their quest to make it to the NCAA Division I Baseball Tournament. ...

When Edgar Michelangeli stepped up to bat on Saturday, there was pressure. So much pressure. There w ...

On a day when the newest University of Miami football players – including heralded prep quarterback ...

How much does 44 years of history weigh? That is what these Miami Hurricanes baseball players carry ...

Victor Oquendo, BSC ’09, is following in his parents’ footsteps. ...

The Rosenstiel School’s final lecture of the 2017 Sea Secrets series focused on using science diplom ...

Researchers believe they have found a new way to monitor the intensity and location of hurricanes fr ...

The University of Miami welcomed nearly 3,800 new graduates into the UM alumni family during six cer ...

Speakers urge UM’s graduating students to use their skills and talents to make a difference. ...

Joe Gomez drove in the winning run after Andrew Cabezas pitched 6.1 no-hit innings of relief. ...

University of Miami women's golf sophomore Dewi Weber was selected as a Second Team All-America ...

Miami's Estela Perez-Somarriba will take on No. 64 Ana Oparenovic Wednesday at 8 a.m., while Si ...

Dee Delaney is eligible to play immediately as a graduate transfer from The Citadel, where he was na ...

Joe Gomez played the role of Hurricane hero Tuesday , lifting sixth-seeded Miami to a 6-5 win over 1 ...