Club/Intramural Sports, Sports

Polo team dominates Florida tournament, looks ahead to nationals

Senior Alan Groll stretches to block a ball during Tuesday night’s water polo practice. Zach Beeker // Stafff Photographer

Sandy wasn’t the only storm in the water this year – there was another group of hurricanes making waves.

The UM Water Polo Club traveled to  Corvallis, Ore. for the National Collegiate Club Championship hosted by Oregon State University.

The Canes went into the tournament ranked third in the country, and kicked the weekend off with a 15-6 win over No. 14 Vanderbilt.

Miami went on to lose its next three matches in the tournament, finishing eighth in the nation.

The club had previously competed at the Collegiate Water Polo Association state tournament at Florida Gulf Coast University in Fort Myers, where the team claimed first place. Miami beat the top-ranked University of Florida team 7-5.

“This is an amazing accomplishment. I’m so proud of our team,” club president Anthony Kanelidis said.

This is the second time the club team has won a state tournament since it was  founded by Jimena Lopez, a former player and the current coach.

“Considering we had lost to UF twice this season, it was great to beat them in the game that matters,” she said.

Since the beginning of the fall semester, the club has practiced at the UC pool with other club teams in the county such as Riptides and FIU.

That helped the team become faster, stronger and a more cohesive unit in the water.

UM was seeded sixth going into the state tournament. The club beat both FGCU and FSU before heading to the championship game.

“Juan Lopez has been the backbone of the team in practice and during games,” graduate student Chris Bauerlein said. Whenever we want more points, we just feed him the ball.”

Lopez, on the other hand, emphasizes the need for strong teamwork in the pool.

“Water polo is a team sport, and if it wasn’t for all us working like a machine, we would have never made it,” he said.

The team is proud of its accomplishments this season, but is not entirely satisfied.

“We celebrated, but now it’s time to focus on the bigger goal and that’s winning nationals,” Kanelidis said.

Giselle Espinales

The University of Miami baseball team isn't used to straddling the fence when it comes to being ...

Now, all that’s left is the waiting. The University of Miami baseball team, fighting to extend its 4 ...

Could the once forlorn University of Miami be closer than some think to extending that national-reco ...

Some UM football nuggets on a Friday: • Evan Shirreffs is an amiable, well-mannered, studious young ...

A few media notes on a Thursday: • As has been the case most years, ABC has decided to televise the ...

A new study reveals that mindfulness training, but not relaxation training, benefits college athlete ...

Frenk delivered his inaugural lecture Wednesday, officially joining the most prestigious group of Me ...

Victor Oquendo, BSC ’09, is following in his parents’ footsteps. ...

The Rosenstiel School’s final lecture of the 2017 Sea Secrets series focused on using science diplom ...

Researchers believe they have found a new way to monitor the intensity and location of hurricanes fr ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team forced a third set in the NCAA Singles ...

Inclement weather made them wait, but Ebony Morrison and a pair of University of Miami relay teams p ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team cemented her name in the record books S ...

Miami's run at the 2017 ACC Championship ended in the semifinals Saturday, as the sixth-seeded ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba posted a 6-4, 5-7, 6-1 victory over Mia Horvit Saturday, becoming the fourth ...